What were the songs of your high school years?

Fuck, how old are the people on this forum?

Sorry to burst your bubble but as far as I know, I'm one of the younger posters. My Amazonian friends are all at least 60, and several others seem closer to 70+. Why do you think Billy has boomer angst all the time around here? I'm bascally about the same age as Chaz.

I still can't believe it's been this long since this.

Well that’s one of those that depends what you were into. I was in high school in the late 70’s Graduating in 80.

If you were into pop music then it was dancing queen by ABBA.

If you were into R&B it was Let’s stay together by Al Green.

If you were into disco it would have been Stayin Alive by The Bee Gees

If you were into Country Music it would have been Rhinestone Cowboy by Glenn Campbell.

If you were into Funk it would have been Give up the funk by Parliament.

If you were into Country Rock it would have been Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynard.

If you were into Rock it was have been Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin.

But what was interesting back then wasn’t what was the most popular song but what music was the most hated and that was certainly Disco.

Now I’ve heard many an explanation as to why Disco was so widely hated at that time is white flight, or viewed as urban and black, anti-gay sentiment, it was formulated, repetitive and over produced, etc., and cheaper to hire a DJ to spin disco dance songs than to hire a house band. There’s some truth to that but it’s mostly bullocks. Disco was very popular when it first came out.

But then something weird happened that hasn’t happened before or since. It completely took over the air waves and on TV and for about two years it was nothing but Disco. A lot of channels changed their formats and those who didn’t have heavy play to disco themed rock, funk, R&B, Country, fuck even the Stones put out a Disco song.

By the end of its run Disco had become so over saturated, like no genre of music before and since, that vast numbers grew to despise it. I just brought that up because it was a really weird phenomenon in music where one genre of music just completely took over Airplay. As I said, I’ve never saw anything like it before or since.

Well that’s one of those that depends what you were into. I was in high school in the late 70’s Graduating in 80.

If you were into Country Music it would have been Rhinestone Cowboy by Glenn Campbell.

But what was interesting back then wasn’t what was the most popular song but what music was the most hated and that was certainly Disco.

Now I’ve heard many an explanation as to why Disco was so widely hated at that time is white flight, or viewed as urban and black, anti-gay sentiment, it was formulated, repetitive and over produced, etc., and cheaper to hire a DJ to spin disco dance songs than to hire a house band. There’s some truth to that but it’s mostly bullocks. Disco was very popular when it first came out.

But then something weird happened that hasn’t happened before or since. It completely took over the air waves and on TV and for about two years it was nothing but Disco. A lot of channels changed their formats and those who didn’t have heavy play to disco themed rock, funk, R&B, Country, fuck even the Stones put out a Disco song.

By the end of its run Disco had become so over saturated, like no genre of music before and since, that vast numbers grew to despise it. I just brought that up because it was a really weird phenomenon in music where one genre of music just completely took over Airplay. As I said, I’ve never saw anything like it before or since.

When I was in HS, I listened to 89.5 FM a lot (actually owned and operated by a North Seattle HS). It's very niche, and plays mostly disco, house, trance, and remixed popular songs. Luckily, my HS years were also a golden age for that station in terms of the quality of techno that was being put out. I find it mostly unlistenable today, but, still have it preset on my car radio.

I would have been cranking Black Sabbath, Kansas, and Rainbow.

Back