What would be your position if...

Postponing the force to purchase, at least until businesses are forced to carry their part. If delay is fine for business, should be fine for those without insurance too.

(1) Has any Republican anywhere ever proposed such an idea?

(2) The employer mandate is tangential to Obamacare's core purpose, is stupid policy and should be repealed completely. The individual mandate, by contrast, is necessary to help keep prices down and to avoid the so-called "death spiral." So, no, the two are not reasonably equivalent such that a dealy of one means that a delay of the other is appropriate.

The House passed a funding bill that included a timetable for withdrawal, Bush threatened to veto it and the Senate passed a funding bill that didn't include a timetable for withdrawal. Rather than threaten to shut down the government if their demands were not met, the House passed a bill with

I don't necessarily disagree with the general sentiment here, which is precisely why the Republicans will be blamed for a shutdown if they refuse to pass a funding bill that doesn't include the Obamacare nonsense. Not really the smartest tack, particularly where Obamacare will largely be funded even in the event of a government shutdown (most of the spedning is on the mandatory side).

So everyone seems to be focused on who gets blame. So lets talk about the bare knuckle politics of this. Everyone seems to be saying, "Oh don't you dare do it, you are going to get blamed and it will cost you the House". Well isn't that what OBOMBYOMAMA wants? He wants to take back the House. So do the dems. Surely the dems aren't looking out for the best interests of the GOP are they?

Hell, even unions want this repealed now.

You are buying into the lame stream media meme that there are only two choices. The Congress does not have to fund Obamacare. They are not obligated to do so. In fact the US Supreme Court has ruled that no Congress can be bound to spending put forth by a previous Congress. That it has always been done, is a matter of Washington politics and not law.

They can simply fund EVERYTHING else and not Obamacare. Who would be shutting down the government if the GOP put forth a bill funding everything except Obamacare? The GOP? Only in Alice and Wonderland and the slavish sycophants who have to continue to defend OBOMBYOMAMA

I heard just this morning the argument that Obama wants the government shut down, that's why he's refusing to negotiate. They are already trying to blame him in the event it does happen.

I don't believe it to be beyond the realm of possibility that if Republicans are threatening to shut down the government and Obama feels it will hurt the Republican Party if they do he might just think go ahead and shut it down.

So everyone seems to be focused on who gets blame. So lets talk about the bare knuckle politics of this. Everyone seems to be saying, "Oh don't you dare do it, you are going to get blamed and it will cost you the House". Well isn't that what OBOMBYOMAMA wants? He wants to take back the House. So do the dems. Surely the dems aren't looking out for the best interests of the GOP are they?

Well, you see, I've explained this before. Democrats actually believe that the government does things that are beneficial to people and don't really want the government to be shut down and will actually do things against their own self-interest to make sure that the greater good is served. Republicans, by contrast, don't give a shit about anything but their own individual self-interest and will do things that cause harm to lots of people provided it benefits them. The only way to effectively appeal to Republicans is to appeal to their own self-interest. Thus, the Democrats are sacraficing their own interests while appealing to the Republicans' self-interst for the greater good.

Hell, even unions want this repealed now.

Some do, some don't.

You are buying into the lame stream media meme that there are only two choices. The Congress does not have to fund Obamacare. They are not obligated to do so. In fact the US Supreme Court has ruled that no Congress can be bound to spending put forth by a previous Congress. That it has always been done, is a matter of Washington politics and not law.

They can simply fund EVERYTHING else and not Obamacare. Who would be shutting down the government if the GOP put forth a bill funding everything except Obamacare? The GOP? Only in Alice and Wonderland and the slavish sycophants who have to continue to defend OBOMBYOMAMA

I'm not buying into anything. I'm telling you that in the event of a goverment shutdown, Obamacare largely continues unaffected becuase the spending falls under mandatory spending programs which do not have to be reauthorized on an annual basis. The Congressional Research Service explains it all here:

http://www.coburn.senate.gov/public...&File_id=0af8b42a-b2b9-484b-b0d4-9d27e2b690ac

And you're suffering the delusion that the GOP can get a CR that defunds Obamacare through the House and Senate. They can't.

I heard just this morning the argument that Obama wants the government shut down, that's why he's refusing to negotiate. They are already trying to blame him in the event it does happen.

a) These are two issues that should not be linked.

b) Yes, repubs are being childish

c) How can Obama negotiate? They want to kill Obamacare. He doesn't. There isn't exactly a middle position here.

Well, you see, I've explained this before. Democrats actually believe that the government does things that are beneficial to people and don't really want the government to be shut down and will actually do things against their own self-interest to make sure that the greater good is served. Republicans, by contrast, don't give a shit about anything but their own individual self-interest and will do things that cause harm to lots of people provided it benefits them. The only way to effectively appeal to Republicans is to appeal to their own self-interest. Thus, the Democrats are sacraficing their own interests while appealing to the Republicans' self-interst for the greater good.

You state this (the bolded portion) yet isn't the Democratic argument that (lower income) Republicans often vote against their own economic interests?

I was talking about Republican members of Congress.

Maybe this is my own cynicism of politicians but I have a very difficult time believing a Democratic politician cares any less about getting elected/re-elected and maintaining power than does a Republican politician. To me all politicians care about number one first. It's human nature and they didn't get to their position of power by not looking out for themselves first and foremost.

If I were Obama I might want it to shut down too. Think about it.

a) These are two issues that should not be linked.

b) Yes, repubs are being childish

c) How can Obama negotiate? They want to kill Obamacare. He doesn't. There isn't exactly a middle position here.

Obama could agree to postpone some portions of Obamacare or to grant certain exemptions, but he wont. At least I hope he wont.

I don't believe it to be beyond the realm of possibility that if Republicans are threatening to shut down the government and Obama feels it will hurt the Republican Party if they do he might just think go ahead and shut it down.

Absolutely, he would love to have a Democratic Congress for his last two years, and when he gets to replace some Supreme Court Justices.

If I were Obama I might want it to shut down too. Think about it.

I agree, my comment was in response to the point that was made that a Democrat would never want the government shut down. If the government gets shut down... the people will see all the good that it does for them in bright and excruciating detail.

Maybe this is my own cynicism of politicians but I have a very difficult time believing a Democratic politician cares any less about getting elected/re-elected and maintaining power than does a Republican politician. To me all politicians care about number one first. It's human nature and they didn't get to their position of power by not looking out for themselves first and foremost.

I agree with that 100%, however I believe that some of the Tea Party Republican constituency want drama and are out for blood. They would happily destroy much of the good out of, what I belive to be unjustified anger they have at the federal government.

Absolutely, he would love to have a Democratic Congress for his last two years, and when he gets to replace some Supreme Court Justices.

No question he would love to have a Democratically controlled Congress for his last two years but for Supreme Court appointments it's the Senate he'd be concerned about. Republicans controlling the House means nothing in that scenario.

No question he would love to have a Democratically controlled Congress for his last two years but for Supreme Court appointments it's the Senate he'd be concerned about. Republicans controlling the House means nothing in that scenario.

The Senate is a part of Congress. I know you already know this.

The Senate is a part of Congress. I know you already know this.

Sure. I guess when I think of 'controlling' Congress I usually think of one party controlling both the House and the Senate. I probably should have been more clear.

Back