What's the best way to cook venison?

Looking for recommendations.

If you have a roast, put it in one of those cooking bags with potatoes, carrots, onions and a can of Campbell's Golden Mushroom soup... salt and pepper. 3 1/2 hours at 350 degrees.

th

I have 3 deer in my freezer in Indy, problem is I am in Ohio. I am not a cook, I am an eat, but my wife is a fantastic cook. I will post her recipes when she cooks it for me. We are going back next week.

I have 3 deer in my freezer in Indy, problem is I am in Ohio. I am not a cook, I am an eat, but my wife is a fantastic cook. I will post her recipes when she cooks it for me. We are going back next week.
What part of the great Buckeye State are you visiting?

The very country way (our favorite) is to cook it like chicken fried steak then serve it with biscuits, gravy, fried potatoes and green beans. It really depends how it was butchered. I have some I use like cubed beef in stews, some I cook like roast with carrots, potatoes and onions in a slow cooker. I smoke the ribs and shoulders a lot of the time. I use a lot of ground deer as well. I make chili, sloppy joes, and meatloaf (for meatloaf I use half beef and half deer) ... pretty much anything you use ground beef for.

I am a hunter. My son has become adept at deer hunting as well. We use or help others with what we kill.

I have to marinate my wild game, my husband is a beef guy and the wild game has to not taste like wild game.

I also cook it different ways depending on the cut. Reindeer we did mostly sausage. Moose, we love it ground, but I keep roasts and a few steaks.

The very country way (our favorite) is to cook it like chicken fried steak then serve it with biscuits, gravy, fried potatoes and green beans. It really depends how it was butchered. I have some I use like cubed beef in stews, some I cook like roast with carrots, potatoes and onions in a slow cooker. I smoke the ribs and shoulders a lot of the time. I use a lot of ground deer as well. I make chili, sloppy joes, and meatloaf (for meatloaf I use half beef and half deer) ... pretty much anything you use ground beef for.

I am a hunter. My son has become adept at deer hunting as well. We use or help others with what we kill.

That Chicken fried steak idea sounds intriguing.

Back