What's your favorite political quote?

This one has to rank near the top, in my opinion.

“I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents.”

- Major General Smedley D. Butler, United States Marine Corps

[FONT=verdana,helvetica,arial]Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel - Samuel Johnson[/FONT]

That quote was not about patriotism in general, but the false use of the term "patriotism" by William Pitt the Elder. Not sure if you know but Pittsburgh was named after him.

Sent from my Lenovo K8 using Tapatalk

That quote was not about patriotism in general, but the false use of the term "patriotism" by William Pitt the Elder. Not sure if you know but Pittsburgh was named after him.

Yes I knew that about William Pitt. The student union at Uni of Pittsburgh is called the William Pitt Union. And the city's great seal is Pitt's family coat of arms. There are a number of references to him in and around the city.

e64435d8d8bc30f97f8003e0396600a1_resized_376x600.jpg

He's a personal role model of mine, along with Genghis Khan and Tom Brady.
It’s a shame his memoirs didn’t survive antiquity. Most of his ancient biographies that did survive were written by political opponents. Plutarch was certainly no friend of Sulla.

Yes I knew that about William Pitt. The student union at Uni of Pittsburgh is called the William Pitt Union. And the city's great seal is Pitt's family coat of arms. There are a number of references to him in and around the city.

Did you know that William Pitt the Younger became Prime Minister at the age of 24 in 1783?

It’s original name was Fort Duquesne. Before that it was Fort Prince George. The Fork area had been inhabited by natives before. In 1753 a certain Lt. Colonol George Washington convinced Virginia Governor Robert Dinwiddie that the Forks of Ohio region was an important location strategically into the western interior.

Dinwiddie ordered the construction of a Fort at the location where construction began on Fort Prince George. It was short lived as a French army under Contrecœur of 500 soldiers and a comparable number of Indians invaded the Forks region on task to build a chain of forts to secure the Great Lakes region in their interest. The occupants of Ft. Prince George were quickly evicted and construction of Fort Duquesne (named after the Marquis Duquesne Governor of New France (Canada)).

The Crown got the last laugh as the French ended up handing the Fort over to the British as a consequence of losing the Seven Years War. The Britts promptly named the fort after Sir William Pitt and the Americans named the city that grew around the fort “Pittsburgh”.

Back