Who are some of your favorite Jazz musicians all-time?

Some of my favorites include Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, John Coltrane, Billy Cobham. Buddy Rich, Bill Evans, Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Al Di Meola, Herbie Hancock, and Weather Report.

I was more into the contemporary Jazz of the 50's rather than the hard fusion jazz- Ray Anthony, the Jackie Gleason Orchestra, Henry Mancini, etc.

This one raises the hair on my arms every time I hear it!

Spirogyra kinda turned me onto a whole new genre of music that started me buying new current records and eventually cd's again- SMOOTH JAZZ!

God! Too many to mention- but anything and everything in that vein.

Last edited:
Duke, Dizzy, Duke, Coltrane, Billy Holiday, Winston, those off the top of my head, so many jazz greats.

Not much on jazz but these guys had jazz roots before making their names elsewhere: Bilk Bruford Ginger Baker

Thanks, Celticguy. THOSE two guys are both in my top five all-time favorite drummers, in ANY music genre. Bruford's work with Yes and King Crimson is outstanding, and Baker's stellar work with Cream is jaw-dropping at times. His drumming at the tail end of "Sunshine Of Your Love" boggles the mind. It's SO good!

Thanks, Celticguy. THOSE two guys are both in my top five all-time favorite drummers, in ANY music genre. Bruford's work with Yes and King Crimson is outstanding, and Baker's stellar work with Cream is jaw-dropping at times. His drumming at the tail end of "Sunshine Of Your Love" boggles the mind. It's SO good!

He used to get incensed if called a rock drummer and, really, hes right. Jack Bruce could get thrown in the mix as well as hes classically trained and those two together were as much the reason Cream was so remarkable apart from Slowhand. I should also have mentioned Frampton and Mick Taylor, also with jazz roots.

He used to get incensed if called a rock drummer and, really, hes right. Jack Bruce could get thrown in the mix as well as hes classically trained and those two together were as much the reason Cream was so remarkable apart from Slowhand. I should also have mentioned Frampton and Mick Taylor, also with jazz roots.

Bobby Krieger and Ray Manzerek of the Doors were jazz musicians before hooking up with Jim Morrison. Still the only group to ever produce 8 Platinum records in just 5 short years. Even 8 golden records in just 5 short years.

Studio albums

The Doors (1967)
Strange Days (1967)
Waiting for the Sun (1968)
The Soft Parade (1969)
Morrison Hotel (1970)
L.A. Woman (1971)
Other Voices (1971)
Full Circle (1972)
An American Prayer (1978)

One of the reasons why you don't hear a lot of doors songs being covered is because of their use of alternate Jazz chords used in both the keyboards and guitar work- as no one really knows them.

But, Jim was gifted as well, even in music, as he was the one who wrote the droning bassline in Riders Of The Storm! A bassline that runs all the way through the song and one that a lot of Bassplayers refuse to play because of it's difficulty.

Last edited:
Bobby Krieger and Ray Manzerek of the Doors were jazz musicians before hooking up with Jim Morrison. Still the only group to ever produce 8 Platinum records in just 5 short years. Even 8 golden records in just 5 short years.

One of the reasons why you don't hear a lot of doors songs being covered is because of their use of alternate Jazz chords used in both the keyboards and guitar work.

But, Jim was gifted as well, even in music, as he was the one who wrote the bassline in Riders Of The Storm! A bassline that runs all the way through the song and one that a lot of Bassplayers refuse to play because of it's difficulty.

You CAN hear a definite jazz influence in some of their music. Especially in songs like the long, full-version of "Light My Fire".

You CAN hear a definite jazz influence in some of their music. Especially in songs like the long, full-version of "Light My Fire".

Some of the Beatles mentioned that the Doors were even an influence for them.

But Paul was the most influenced by jazz, as he recently released his own album of 50's jazz standards!

Many think that "Happiness is a warm gun" was a Jim Morrison inspired song as they made the song up on the fly the same day Jim Morrison happened by Abby Roads studio or was it EMI? But anyway there was even a mention of a lizard in one of the lyric lines! LOL!

Last edited:
Some of the Beatles mentioned that the Doors were even an influence for them.

But Paul was the most influenced by jazz, as he recently released his own album of 50's jazz standards!

Many think that "Happiness is a warm gun" was a Jim Morrison inspired song as they made the song up on the fly the same day Jim Morrison happened by Abby Roads studio!

Thanks for the info, I didn't know these things before now.

Studio albums

The Doors (1967)
Strange Days (1967)
Waiting for the Sun (1968)
The Soft Parade (1969)
Morrison Hotel (1970)
L.A. Woman (1971)
Other Voices (1971)
Full Circle (1972)
An American Prayer (1978)

One of the reasons why you don't hear a lot of doors songs being covered is because of their use of alternate Jazz chords used in both the keyboards and guitar work- as no one really knows them.

But, Jim was gifted as well, even in music, as he was the one who wrote the droning bassline in Riders Of The Storm! A bassline that runs all the way through the song and one that a lot of Bassplayers refuse to play because of it's difficulty.

An amazing band. Woke up to Riders on the Storm the otger day and its still playing in my head.

Can I give a shout out for Thelonious Monk, Charlie Parker and Mary Lou Williams. She was self taught yet became a mentor to both Thelonious Monk and Dizzy Gillespie.

Back