Who are some of your favorite New Wave/Punk muscians from the late 1970's to the.....

........early 1980's? My favorite(s) are Talking Heads, led by the eccentric, but highly talented David Byrne, followed by The Ramones, XTC, Blondie, and The Pretenders.

Talking Heads, New Order, Depeche Mode, Erasure (easily one of the most gay bands on the planet ever--but they made great music), Tangerine Dream (you heard them in the movie Risky Business) and Spandau Ballet. For weird, Adam Ant, Wall of Voodoo, Onigo Boingo.

Talking Heads, New Order, Depeche Mode, Erasure (easily one of the most gay bands on the planet ever--but they made great music), Tangerine Dream (you heard them in the movie Risky Business) and Spandau Ballet. For weird, Adam Ant, Wall of Voodoo, Onigo Boingo.

Oh yeah, Wall of Voodoo! I loved their unusual video to their song, "Mexican Radio". An ex-girlfriend of mine bought one of Stan Ridgway's (lead singer of Wall of Voodoo) solo albums on cassette, and it was pretty good. I don't recall the name of it, I'll have to look it up.

Last edited:
........early 1980's? My favorite(s) are Talking Heads, led by the eccentric, but highly talented David Byrne, followed by The Ramones, XTC, Blondie, and The Pretenders.

Why am I not shocked, are you my twin brother?

What do you think of the other Talking Heads group...the one without David?

Why am I not shocked, are you my twin brother?

What do you think of the other Talking Heads group...the one without David?

I haven't heard much by The Tom Tom Club. They seemed to be much more into "dance" oriented music than Talking Heads. I've never been too interested in that kind of music.

I checked on the Stan Ridgway album (cassette) I heard, it's titled The Big Heat, first released in 1986. And I remember that it sounded pretty good.

I checked on the Stan Ridgway album (cassette) I heard, it's titled The Big Heat, first released in 1986. And I remember that it sounded pretty good.

With Wall of Voodoo their song Mexican Radio had more meaning being in Arizona. Back then you listened to one of the "border blaster" radio stations that played all the latest rock, usually in my case XROCK 80 in Juarez. These stations transmitted at several times greater output than allowed in the US. You could pick the station up on your car radio in Arizona about sunset and after.

With Wall of Voodoo their song Mexican Radio had more meaning being in Arizona. Back then you listened to one of the "border blaster" radio stations that played all the latest rock, usually in my case XROCK 80 in Juarez. These stations transmitted at several times greater output than allowed in the US. You could pick the station up on your car radio in Arizona about sunset and after.

Yep, exactly. I was living in Phoenix, Arizona, when the song was popular and was played quite a bit on MTV. And thanks for posting the video.

Back