Who are your heros?

Mott the Hoople

Sweet Jane
I think you can tell a lot about a person by whom their hero's/Heroines are.

Here are mine:

My childhood hero's were in order of influence and not including family memebers;

Marlin Perkins - He first influenced my life long love with the animal kingdom and biology.
Jaque Cousteau - The underwater version of Marlin.
Neil Armstrong - Home town hero. Proved that you're average reticent hardworking small town midwestern engineer could become the most famous person in the world, even though they never wanted to be, by simply being devoted to excellence.
Johnny Bench - Best catcher to ever play the game.

As an adult my most influential heros have been:

Richard Feynman - Embodied the joy of findng things out and made me understand what it means to really know something.
Martin Luther King Jr - People should be judged by their skills, talents, abilities, productivity but most importantly by the content of their character. This man walked the talk.
The Dhali Lhama - I've learned from him what it really means to live well.
Greg Lemond - Not just your average sports hero. He sparked my imagination and love for cycling that has had a huge influence of fun, fitness and wellness in my life. Oh yea....he did it without cheating too!

I dont think I had any childhood heros.

I tried to think of some and I remembered people I was interested in and thought were neat stuff but I dont remember putting any on hero status.

Maybe it was a result of being a female.

Maybe it was the result of a tumultous childhood.

I dont know.

I can tell you my teenage heros though.

I loved Tolkien

Bob marly

Gloria stienum

Ghandi

Alexander solsennitsen ( yeah I spelled it wrong)

from the top of my head.

Now its pretty much the same except the list is alot longer and includes people I dont even remember their names but remember their deeds.

Like the young man in arround 2005 who was fighting in Iraq and was about to have a big meeting with his own senator in a couple of days and he and a couple of his men were sent into NO mans land to attack a house that turned out to be empty but big black SUVs pulled up and gunned them all down.

That young man was about to tell his senator about illegal dealings in Iraq likely involving blackwater.

I will always believe blackwater killed him.

god I wish I could remember his name.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/01/29/AR2007012902002.html

I found him

Soldier's Death Strengthens Senators' Antiwar Resolve

Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki met in Baghdad's heavily fortified Green Zone last month with, from left, U.S. Ambassador Zalmay Khalilzad, Sen. John F. Kerry and Sen. Christopher J. Dodd. (By Ali Haider -- Associated Press)
Network NewsX Profile

View More Activity

TOOLBOX
Resize Print E-mail Reprints
By Jonathan Weisman and Ann Scott Tyson
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Just before Christmas, an Army captain named Brian Freeman cornered Sens. Christopher J. Dodd (D-Conn.) and John F. Kerry (D-Mass.) at a Baghdad helicopter landing zone. The war was going badly, he told them. Troops were stretched so thin they were doing tasks they never dreamed of, let alone trained for.

Freeman, 31, took a short holiday leave to see his 14-month-old daughter and 2-year-old son, returned to his base in Karbala, Iraq, and less than two weeks ago died in a hail of bullets and grenades. Insurgents, dressed in U.S. military uniforms, speaking English and driving black American SUVs, got through a checkpoint and attacked, kidnapped four soldiers and later shot them. Freeman died in the assault, the fifth casualty of the brazen attack.

Last edited:
Ghengis Khan
Attila the Hun
Timur the Lame
Vassili Chuikov
Lucius Cornelius Sulla
Mustafa Kemal Attaturk
Fedor Tokarev
Me
William Wallace
Patrick Pearse
Edmomd DeValera
The mighty potato

Probably more.

This is not the same guy .

I think this guy is a hero but it was another kid Im was talking about.

The kid I was talking about was sent off on a mission and the black suvs showed up.

the Black US SUVs with tinted windows were what blackwater used.

Here are mine:

My childhood hero's were in order of influence and not including family memebers;

Marlin Perkins - He first influenced my life long love with the animal kingdom and biology.
Neil Armstrong - Home town hero. Proved that you're average reticent hardworking small town midwestern engineer could become the most famous person in the world, even though they never wanted to be, by simply being devoted to excellence.

Richard Feynman - Embodied the joy of findng things out and made me understand what it means to really know something.
Martin Luther King Jr - People should be judged by their skills, talents, abilities, productivity but most importantly by the content of their character. This man walked the talk.
Greg Lemond - Not just your average sports hero. He sparked my imagination and love for cycling that has had a huge influence of fun, fitness and wellness in my life. Oh yea....he did it without cheating too!

20-Amazing-Random-Facts-8.jpg

I cant imagine that they would not be willing to try mind altering substances at some point.

when you understand how the Indians used them for spiritual reasons it would make sense.

Heros are not perfect they are human.

In balence you hope the good you did far outwieghs the bad.

I think that is why I didnt have any real childhood heros.

The superman types were not real to me and humans were all too flawed.

To know that humans are flawed at such a young age made me think a little deeper growing up.

I had no memories of thinking any human I knew was flawless.

No daddy myth to overcome.

In ways it greatly helped me process the world.

I dont recomend trying to replicate it for your girl or boy child though.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
A handful of my teachers
Pope John Paul II and several local priests
Author Brian Jacques
Poet Shel Silverstein
The Barenstein Bears
Mr. Feeney from Boy Meets World
Edgar Martinez, Randy Johnson, and Ken Griffey Jr.
Neighbours Joel & Delores; Dave & Barbara; Mike & Irene (I used to go keep retired Joel company for an hour at least once a week)
Link from The Legend of Zelda
Robin Hood & Zorro
Scrooge McDuck
Doug Funny
The Marx Brothers
Bob Hope & Bing Crosby
Bob Barker
Raffi

Well like I said you can tell a lot about a person by their heros. I'm an idealist, Billy is a warrior, Desh is a freedom fighter and 3D is still 6.

Here are mine:

My dad was my biggest childhood hero. He was a WWII vet from a very poor family. His father died young and he did not o to college after the war in order to go to work to support his mother and his new wife. He wanted to be a forest ranger, but stayed at his bank job because it provided for his family. He was a man of very high standards, he was strict but at the same time gave us lots of hugs and kisses. He attended every one of our functions and that is quite an accomplishment because there were eight of us!

Martin Luther King

John Kennedy

Ghandi

The Sufferagettes

Atticus Finch, although he was a fictional character he had a huge impact on me.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Julia Childs

Harriet Tubman

Here are mine:

Have you seen this BBC archive dedicated to Richard Feynman?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/feynman/10702.shtml

My dad was my biggest childhood hero. He was a WWII vet from a very poor family. His father died young and he did not o to college after the war in order to go to work to support his mother and his new wife. He wanted to be a forest ranger, but stayed at his bank job because it provided for his family. He was a man of very high standards, he was strict but at the same time gave us lots of hugs and kisses. He attended every one of our functions and that is quite an accomplishment because there were eight of us!

Martin Luther King

John Kennedy

Ghandi

The Sufferagettes

Atticus Finch, although he was a fictional character he had a huge impact on me.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Julia Childs

Harriet Tubman

I forgot Joan of Arc, I saw my sister in a play about her, and after that I had a brief period where I fantasised I was Joan! I thought she was so brave.

Back