Who Knows Math? Probability Question (Dixie need not apply)

BRUTALITOPS

on indefiniate mod break
Contributor
Each one of these percentages is of a single event. What are the odds for these 6 events to all occur?

I suck at math. Like hardcore.

Yep.... 1 divided by 3 still produces a remainder... thought it may have changed since last we beat the dead horse, but nope... still produces a remainder! Sorry, you are still incorrect about that. Good luck on your problem.

By the way, it is a trick question, it can't be a single event yet all 6 events at the same time, so assuming it is in fact a single event, the odds of 6 events occurring are nil.

no dixie it is not a trick question. I didn't say all the events happened at the same time. And I did not say it was a single event. I said these are 6 separate results and I'm curious to see the probability of them all occurring in sucession. This is why I said you need not apply.

(Not addressing dixie)

lets say you are flipping a magic coin that lands on heads 2/3rds of the time.

You flip it and it lands on tails 6 times in a row. What was the probability of this happening? Is it .33 * .33 * .33 * .33 * .33 * .33? Or am I off? I haven't done any math in about 4 years :(

Perhaps my original question was a bit confusing, so put the original post into the context of my new analogy.

Will .2315 *.2877 * .3807 * .2429 * .1882 * .3216 give me my answer?

And if so does that = roughly around 1/26595 or did I do something wrong?

(Not addressing dixie)

You flip it and it lands on tails 6 times in a row. What was the probability of this happening? Is it .33 * .33 * .33 * .33 * .33 * .33? Or am I off? I haven't done any math in about 4 years :(

Perhaps my original question was a bit confusing, so put the original post into the context of my new analogy.

If you are looking for them to occur in a specific order, then the math changes from simple multiplication. But if you are just looking at the probability of all these events occuring in 6 attempts, then you just multiply them together. For a specific order, you take said multiple and multiply it by 6!, or 720, as there are 720 orders in which six numbers can be arranged.

I think you're off by a factor of 10 in your answer. Its 1/2660

And LOLOL @ Dix.

no dixie it is not a trick question. I didn't say all the events happened at the same time. And I did not say it was a single event. I said these are 6 separate results and I'm curious to see the probability of them all occurring in sucession. This is why I said you need not apply.

Each one of these percentages is of a single event. What are the odds for these 6 events to all occur?

I suck at math. Like hardcore.

Aheeemmmm????

Shut up lard ass. You not the boss of me!!! :321:

I know I'm not the boss of you. I'm just diligently trying to spare you from making another completely moronic and monumentally idiotic spectacle of yourself.

Why?

Because I like you.

(Not addressing dixie)

I think it has something to do with the ! symbol in math.

I have no idea what it does but I've seen it before in probability equations.

Wrong answer. If you have odds of 6 single and separate events occurring like you posted, the chance of them all happening is going to be in the billions or trillions, not thousands. What an idiot.:rolleyes:

Dixie might be right here. I just might have my foot in my mouth.

Well let's see.

Do you mean like the probability of you rolling a 10000 sided die, and the numbers 2315, 2877, 3807, 2429, 1882, and 3216 coming out in perfect succession?

Yeah. That's going to be in the millions or billions grind.

Back