Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Costa Rica

• Jamaica

• Other

• Total voters
If you are talking about lager then without doubt it is a three way tie between the Belgians, Czechs and Germans. I admire the Germans especially for sticking to the Reinheitsgebot beer purity laws even though they have been officially rescinded. American beers like Budweiser, Michelob, Miller etc. are just insipid by comparison. For stout, then it has to be Ireland for Guinness, Murphys and Beamish. For bitters and cask conditioned ales, then it has to be England. http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Search&search=reinheitsgebot&ns0=1&redirs=0

If you are talking about lager then without doubt it is a three way tie between the Belgians, Czechs and Germans. I admire the Germans especially for sticking to the Reinheitsgebot beer purity laws even though they have been officially rescinded. American beers like Budweiser, Michelob, Miller etc. are just insipid by comparison. For stout, then it has to be Ireland for Guinness, Murphys and Beamish. For bitters and cask conditioned ales, then it has to be England.
Budweiser, Miller, Ect. are not indicative of actual American lagers. A much better example would be Anchor Steam, or Bells Lager of The Lakes. As for your choice in stouts, well that really only applies to Irish Drys. They're not properly comparable to say... A RIS such as Old Rasputin. Stout is too broad a term. And English Bitters, well it's hard not to agree, but us Americans can do quite well in that department too.

Budweiser, Miller, Ect. are not indicative of actual American lagers. A much better example would be Anchor Steam, or Bells Lager of The Lakes. As for your choice in stouts, well that really only applies to Irish Drys. They're not properly comparable to say... A RIS such as Old Rasputin. Stout is too broad a term. And English Bitters, well it's hard not to agree, but us Americans can do quite well in that department too.

We don't really get any of the US microbreweries over here, shame really.

It's worth noting that many beers, ales, lagers, stouts etc. must be sampled in the country of origin as export versions often vary from the home market originals.

If you are talking about lager then without doubt it is a three way tie between the Belgians, Czechs and Germans. I admire the Germans especially for sticking to the Reinheitsgebot beer purity laws even though they have been officially rescinded. American beers like Budweiser, Michelob, Miller etc. are just insipid by comparison. For stout, then it has to be Ireland for Guinness, Murphys and Beamish. For bitters and cask conditioned ales, then it has to be England. http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Search&search=reinheitsgebot&ns0=1&redirs=0
Have ya tried a Sam Adams lager Tom?

Reinheitsgebot just prevented German brewers from making wheat beers and such. They could only use barley and hops, completely obliterating any style of beer that differed from this (a lot of local varieties of beer varieties that had existed for centuries were obliterated when this law spread to the national level). It was a pretty dumb law, and a lot of beers that use other ingredients (such as wheat beers) still market themselves as in compliance because people are stupid and will believe anything.

I understand the vote for Ireland, and especially for Belgium, but what's with the Netherlands vote? Anyway, I do like English beer.

Billy, I assume you've had the Redhook ESB?

I think the explosion of microbrews has opened the eyes of the major brewers that the American people have discovered what good beer is and expect a higher level of quality and are willing to pay for it. I can't remember the last time I've bought Miller or Budweiser or any of their products in the last 5 years. My every day drinking beer now is Sam Adams lager and I enjoy some of the local microbrews from here in Ohio (Great Lakes dortumunder is excellent and Columbus Breweries IPA is better, I think, then Dogfishheads 60 minute IPA.). To bad neither is on this list but understandable for Columbus as their brews are both unfiltered nor pastuerized so it doesn't travel well.

I don't really like pale ales, although I have become accustomed to a few. I do love white ales, though. I will refrain from judging them for Heineken, since its like their version of Busch.

Reinheitsgebot just prevented German brewers from making wheat beers and such. They could only use barley and hops, completely obliterating any style of beer that differed from this (a lot of local varieties of beer varieties that had existed for centuries were obliterated when this law spread to the national level). It was a pretty dumb law, and a lot of beers that use other ingredients (such as wheat beers) still market themselves as in compliance because people are stupid and will believe anything.

What you are saying has an element of truth but you need to read this to get the true historical picture.

http://www.germanbeerinstitute.com/history.html

I understand the vote for Ireland, and especially for Belgium, but what's with the Netherlands vote? Anyway, I do like English beer.

Billy, I assume you've had the Redhook ESB?
Yeah, but it's not my fav. That goes to Fullers ESB, on of my favorite beers period.

Back