Who shops at Trader Joe's/Whole Foods?

u9nfd5v

A panic-buying fever swept through the Big Apple, as mobs of freaked-out New Yorkers frantically scoured store shelves for any remaining supplies amid spreading coronavirus fears.

“We’re freaking out about it,” Monica Gang, 27, said as she braved the crowds at Trader Joe’s in Manhattan. “We came in here looking for rice, and there is no rice left. Rice crumbs are the only thing left. We don’t even know what to stock up on.”

Food markets across the five boroughs were overrun by unnerved residents looking for supplies, with many finding shelves bare of rice, tomato sauce, peanut butter the moment they got in the door.

Inside, shoppers waited 40 minutes to check out at the register, carts piled high with any non-perishable items still available.

“It’s hell in there,” Simon Cohen said as he left with four 40-packs of bottled water, a 15-pack case of seltzer, cans of tuna, vegetable oil and frozen salmon. “There are something like 15 cashiers and people are lined up all the way to the opposite wall.”

Alisa Roberts, 23, of Crown Heights, said Thursday marked her fourth trip in the past 3 days to stock up — and this time she struck out on finding bottled water.

“You can’t get your cart through the aisles, that’s how crazy it is,” she said. “The only aisles without a lot of carts are the ones that carry makeup, plastic ware and stuff like that. Anything to do with food, you can’t pass whatsoever.”

By 3:30 p.m., aisles once stocked with dry cereal, canned food and bottled water were largely cleaned out at Whole Foods in Gowanus.

“I did a shopping trip yesterday and thought I was all set,” said Adelia Erickson, 49, of Park Slope. “Then I made the mistake of checking the news and seeing lines of people in supermarkets, and paranoia got the best of me. So, here I am again.”

I think Trump is going to take more measures to put people on lockdown and people should just be prepared,” Matt Rotenberg, a Manhattan lawyer, said at Trader Joe’s.

https://tinyurl.com/yxxh4rlo

My wife is a fan of Traitor Joe's (can never resist calling it that), but, we primarily just shop at Costco and WinCo, with assists from Safeway, Walmart, and Fred Meyer.

We mostly just go to TJ to get some of the unusual products they sell. She prefers their coffee creamer.

tfs9zwr

At Whole Foods on Milwaukee's east side, supplies were running low and the chicken soup shelf was bare. The company operates 18 stores in Wisconsin and Illinois — including four in southeast Wisconsin. As with other stores in the area, they sold out of hand sanitizer last Monday.

tkzfbcl

https://tinyurl.com/thpgqtg

wldrdyj

Soon after the 9 a.m. opening on Friday of the Trader Joe’s in Hoboken, N.J., a line of nervous customers stretched along the block in the rain, waiting to pick through the mostly bare shelves inside. There was no chicken available, nor garbanzo beans, coffee or chips. Many of its registers were unstaffed.

They grabbed milk and aspirin, paper towels and spaghetti. Cans of soup and bottles of laundry detergent. Olive oil and sanitizing wipes. With futures suddenly thrust into the unknown, they did what felt reassuring: panic shop.

Hordes of shoppers flooded stores and emptied shelves, looking to stockpile groceries and household items.

Once an undertaking reserved for the arrival of hurricanes and snowstorms, the frantic pursuit of groceries and household goods has been pushed to an intense level in the age of the new coronavirus, as urgency and fear propel people down the aisles.

“The heebie-jeebies got to me yesterday — what if New York is quarantined by Trump?” said Mark Hanna, 32, who works in health care and was standing with four bottles of NyQuil.

Some bring their own carts to avoid yet one more line. Those who tried unsuccessfully to stick to online shopping arrive to find their go-to products wiped from the shelves.

“In a time like this, how can you not?” said Randi Klein, 48, of Harlem, who scaled a shelf for a box of gluten-free cereal.

At a Whole Foods Market in Somerville, Mass., on Friday, peanut butter, eggs, pasta and canned tomatoes were almost gone, the meat and produce sections were empty shells. Customers were limited to just two packages of toilet paper each.

Not all stores have seen a rush to amass necessities. Robust markets can be found in many states, where shoppers peruse aisles with purpose, but little panic.

In Kentucky, five people have tested positive for the coronavirus. But on Friday, the shelves were full and there was plenty of hand sanitizer.

https://tinyurl.com/wye7fpw

uu889lk

Whole Foods packed; shelves empty

The line was about 45 minutes long at the Warren Street check out this morning, but they are taking 25 items and under at the express registers on the West Street side. Oh, and no deliveries.

t3kg8sm

https://tinyurl.com/r6ooml2

Back