Who Think Post Modern Prophet has debunked the scientific principle of common decent?

Has Post Modern Prophet debunked common decent?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have given up trying to get Mott to differentiate between too and to, he is one of the brightest people on here but his spelling is a nightmare at times. As for spelt, that is a normal usage in proper English as opposed to the variant you use in the former colonies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3AAmerican_and_British_English_differences/Spelled_v_Spelt

Normally, I defer to the superior, British way of spelling things out, but, in this case, ours is better! :tongout:

Yep, we are right bastards. Of course, we only invented the language to show up your poor language skills!
Actually the primary reason I post on message boards is to improve my writing skills. I also write regular letters to several correspondants by e-mail much in the old fashioned way. One of my correspondents has a masters in poly sci and is a brilliant writer and knows more about ME history and policy than anyone I know. Another correspondent of mine is a chiropractor from Australia (originally from Chicago) who is one of the wittiest persons I know. Then there's my sister who should have gone to Harvard Law. They keep me sharp.

Yeah, I was going to say that the Brits still use "spelt" as much as they used "spelled", but you beat me to it.
My wife would like to know who in England came up with the idea of silent letters. Don't tell her though...if she finds out that persons in a world of hurt!!!

My wife would like to know who in England came up with the idea of silent letters. Don't tell her though...if she finds out that persons in a world of hurt!!!

English isn't the only language with silent letters, French is notorious for the silent letters as in escargot, beaucoup, froid and trois. If you think that is bad then your mind would boggle at Thai where consonants can be initial or final, meaning that the sound can be different depending on whether it is at the start of a word or the end.

English isn't the only language with silent letters, French is notorious for the silent letters as in escargot, beaucoup, froid and trois. If you think that is bad then your mind would boggle at Thai where consonants can be initial or final, meaning that the sound can be different depending on whether it is at the start of a word or the end.
I tried explaning that to her. It didn't make a difference. Just like I tried to tell her the benefits of paying taxes (good roads, good schools and hospitals, dependable electricity and safe water, etc, etc.). None of that matters. She hates taxes with an unholy passion. She's a true Republican. :)

I had to relearn how to spell diarrhea... Because I learned the Brit way back in 2nd grade...

diarrhoea

Extemporaneous letters are fun.

Here are a few "u's" to add as you want above, for the Brits among us... (or is that amoung?)

What I really want to know is why we dropped the "i" out of Aluminum... I mean, really. In every other language that I know it is aluminium...

Back