Why is it so awkward?

Maybe it's just me, but I feel a little awkward about this thread. By admitting this information makes you uncomfortable, aren't you basically saying you are a bigot? Why else would your friend's sexual lifestyle make you feel awkward? Is there something wrong with being openly gay? Are you afraid of what others may think about you, if you are seen out in public with your friend? Are you afraid his gayness will rub off on you? If gay people are just like everybody else, and there is nothing wrong with gay marriage, and we should all embrace gay rights, why would you possibly feel awkward? Did you wake up in 1950 or something?

I guess I just think it's an odd feeling to have, if you honestly believe homosexuality is okay and acceptable. It would be like me saying, my sister is coming to visit me, she's bringing her new husband, and I just found out, he is black... I feel awkward about having them at my house... How would that come across? Doesn't it sound like I might have a prejudice there?

:rant:

Just don't do this:

Michael-kisses-oscar.jpg

LOL @ Dixie pretending to be tolerant.

LOL Yes....I have been in that boat. Here's the deal. If he's truly your friend and you truly care for him. Then accept it. Accept that he is gay and all that comes with it including his BF....it may turn out his BF is a decent sort too. Don't worry about things like hearing about his love life, he doesn't want to hear about yours either. He's going to be the same person you've always known and cared for. Nothing significant is going to change other then your perspective of him since he came out. Try not to let that ruin a good friendship.

Oh yea, my older brother came out of the closet about 10 years ago. It was hilarious cause he made a big deal out of coming out the closet and everyone and their brother all ready knew he was gay.

This is the best advice. When it comes down to it, I don't think I would care about having to meet his BF or hear about his personal life. I believe my reaction to this situation is based on the fact that I'm still in a state of shock (I would have never guessed in a million years that he's gay).

This is the best advice. When it comes down to it, I don't think I would care about having to meet his BF or hear about his personal life. I believe my reaction to this situation is based on the fact that I'm still in a state of shock (I would have never guessed in a million years that he's gay).

What do you mean "pretending" to be tolerant? You don't believe I am tolerant? You think my comments were merely designed to make myself look tolerant? I simply asked a question or two, it seems odd that you would "feel awkward" because your friend is gay... that's all. I've got friends who are gay, and friends who I suspect are gay, and it doesn't really matter to me or effect how I feel about them, I don't feel awkward around them, it just doesn't make any difference to me. Same goes with friends of different ethnicity and race, I have lots of friends, all kinds, it never crosses my mind what they are, or where they came from... it just doesn't matter to me.

But for you.... it does seem to matter.... it makes you feel "awkward" and I find that strange, unless you think there is something wrong with being gay, or something wrong with gay people.... THEN, I can completely understand why you would feel that way.

What do you mean "pretending" to be tolerant? You don't believe I am tolerant? You think my comments were merely designed to make myself look tolerant? I simply asked a question or two, it seems odd that you would "feel awkward" because your friend is gay... that's all. I've got friends who are gay, and friends who I suspect are gay, and it doesn't really matter to me or effect how I feel about them, I don't feel awkward around them, it just doesn't make any difference to me. Same goes with friends of different ethnicity and race, I have lots of friends, all kinds, it never crosses my mind what they are, or where they came from... it just doesn't matter to me.

But for you.... it does seem to matter.... it makes you feel "awkward" and I find that strange, unless you think there is something wrong with being gay, or something wrong with gay people.... THEN, I can completely understand why you would feel that way.

:rant:

Yea I can remember the shock when I first added one and one about my own brother being gay because when I looked back at his past behavior I felt like an idiot for not figuring it out sooner. All the clues were there I just didn't see them and then when I saw that, well it just didn't seem so odd anymore and I was cool with it as that's his nature. Ya know? Just like it's Dixie's nature to be contrary as hell. Now my brother is currently fighting stage 4 cancer and is doing well with his chemo and issues like his being gay just don't seem to amount to jack shit right at the moment, if you know what I mean? I'm just hoping he can beat this thing.

That's not what you said to me when I became a Democrat!

That's not what you said to me when I became a Democrat!

Being willfully stupid is your own business. I might call you "willfully stupid" because that is what you are being, but I hold no animosity toward you, nor do I feel "awkward" around you here... maybe if we met in person I would, but unless you are a real creeper, I can't imagine it.

That brought back a memory.

Many years ago I was visiting my home town after having been gone a number of years. After chatting with old friends and having a few drinks the bar was closing so as I was about to get up a gal sitting across the table said it might be better if I stayed at her place rather than drive back to the city.

She was the ex-wife of a friend's brother so while we knew of each other we didn't really know each other on a personal level. In any case I thought it was a great idea so I followed her home. Upon arriving we had coffee and chatted a bit. Then she pointed to a door and said, "The bedroom is in there. I'll be in shortly."

I thought I was going to be sleeping on the couch. Being from the country I'm used to "down home hospitality" but not to this extent.:D

She got into bed and lied with her back towards me. When I moved closer and put my arm around her she said, "I didn't bring you home for that!"

Huh??? What did I miss?

Then she said, "I thought you were gay."

"What gave you that idea", I asked.

"Well, you're in your early thirties, neat, clean, well-dressed and if you're in the bar in the evening I doubt you have a girlfriend so....", she replied.

So I spent a restless night lying beside a tall, slim, attractive gal who invited me into her bed but had absolutely no interest in me.

Perhaps I should have remembered that old adage, "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is."

Epic post Apple. This is the first and probably only time I'll rep you, so bask in the glory while you can. ;)

Your tale reminds me of how my dumb ex-girlfriend would let one of her gay friends touch her boobs. I mean seriously, what guy doesn't like his hands on a pair of boobs, even if he is gay? That's what I told her anyway.

Epic post Apple. This is the first and probably only time I'll rep you, so bask in the glory while you can. ;)

Your tale reminds me of how my dumb ex-girlfriend would let one of her gay friends touch her boobs. I mean seriously, what guy doesn't like his hands on a pair of boobs, even if he is gay? That's what I told her anyway.

Thanks for the rep, Voltaire.

As for your Ex didn't she wonder why a supposedly gay guy would even be interested in touching her boobs? Unless he was sort of window shopping and planning on growing a similar pair.

I guess there's some things we're just not meant to understand. :dunno:

Back