Why physicists are uniquely qualified to talk about god

Hearing about them is not understanding them, Sybil.
Hey dummkopf, the question that was being addressed was whether or not physicists talk about the philosophical consequences of their science.

The question was not whether I am a trained expert on quantum physics.

Hey dummkopf, the question that was being addressed was whether or not physicists talk about the philosophical consequences of their science.

no..

an assertion was made that physics spergs have some extra authority about religion or morality or some shit.

they've built too many bombs for that to be true.
:truestory:

YOU made it the question, Sybil! Don't try to deny your own posts!

no..

an assertion was made that physics spergs have some extra authority about religion or morality or some shit.

:truestory:
An interesting point, and one that rings quite true.

Physicists are human beings, complete with all the frailties and religious beliefs of any other human beings. They have no special gift along those lines!

People believe their religions because they carry some position of authority due to their publications or degrees. It's like a lot of other priests.

Science itself, is not physicists. It is not scientists. Science is not even people at all. It has no religion, no politics, and no voting bloc.

Science is just a set of falsifiable theories. No more. No less.

WRONG.

Nope. In science "theory" is a much higher bar. What you are thinking about is the "common vernacular" definition of theory. You know, the way it's used by non-scientists. In science it has a more strict definition.
Go learn English. You are confusing 'theory' with 'proof', and you are confusing 'hypothesis', with 'theory'. Science does NOT define the word 'theory'.

A theory is an explanatory argument. Nothing more. Nothing less.
A hypothesis is a supposition of some aspect of a theory, such as how to test a theory for falsification (the null hypothesis), for example.

A hypothesis stems from a theory. A theory does NOT stem from a hypothesis.

Science has no proofs. It is an open functional system. Proofs are only available in closed functional systems such as mathematics or logic.

Go learn English. You are confusing 'theory' with 'proof',

No, no I'm not.

here's how science works:

• A hypothesis is a tentative explanation that can be tested by further investigation.
  • A theory is a well-supported explanation of observations.
  • A scientific law is a statement that summarizes the relationship between variables.
  • An experiment is a controlled method of testing a hypothesis.
(SOURCE)

and you are confusing 'hypothesis', with 'theory'. Science does NOT define the word 'theory'.

A theory is an explanatory argument. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Not in the sciences. You are thinking of the lay person's definition.

YOU made it the question, Sybil! Don't try to deny your own posts!
Post #81:

The assertion was made that only physicist Sean Carrol thinks about the philosophical implications of his science.

Whereas I responded that physicists discussing philosophical implications goes back at least to Einstein and Bohr at the 1927 Solvay conference.

Nowhere in this tangent of the thread was the discussion about whether I am a trained expert in quantum physics.

no..

Hey dummkopf, I made it crystal clear early in the thread that physicists tend to be more uniquely positioned than other scientists, aka biologists, chemists, geneticists, to talk about the really deep questions of creation, ultimate reality, god, etc.

Post #81:

The assertion was made that only physicist Sean Carrol thinks about the philosophical implications of his science.
Sean Carrol does not own science.
Whereas I responded that physicists discussing philosophical implications goes back at least to Einstein and Bohr at the 1927 Solvay conference.
Philosophy is not science.
Physicists are just as qualified to talk about God and you or me.
Nowhere in this tangent of the thread was the discussion about whether I am a trained expert in quantum physics.
You can't deny your own posts, Sybil.

Hey dummkopf, I made it crystal clear early in the thread that physicists tend to be more uniquely positioned than other scientists, aka biologists, chemists, geneticists, to talk about the really deep questions of creation, ultimate reality, god, etc.
Nope. They are just as qualified to talk about God as anybody else.
Learn what 'reality' means. 'Reality' does not mean 'Universal Truth'.

Back