Why you should always get a second opinion

Thorn

in today's news ...

What do you MEAN I'm not going to die? 32 minutes ago

A British man who went on a wild spending spree after doctors said he only had a short time to live wants compensation because the diagnosis was wrong and he is now healthy -- but broke.

John Brandrick, 62, was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer two years ago and told that he would probably die within a year.

He quit his job, sold or gave away nearly all his possessions, stopped paying his mortgage and spent his savings dining out and going on holiday.

Brandrick was left with little more than the black suit, white shirt and red tie that he had planned to be buried in when it emerged a year later that his suspected "tumor" was no more than a non-life threatening inflammation of the pancreas.

"When they tell you you've got a limited time and everything, you do enjoy life," Brandrick, from Cornwall in the west of England, told Sky television.

"I'm really pleased that I've got a second chance in life... but if you haven't got no money after all this, which is my fault -- I spent it all -- they should pay something back."

If he can't get compensation, he is considering selling his house or suing the hospital that diagnosed him. The hospital has said that while it sympathizes with Brandrick, a review of his case showed no different diagnosis would have been made.

Maybe someone else would have looked at it differently, run further tests, and all in all not jumped to such a conclusion. A similar thing happened to one of our former faculty. He retired early from work he loved, made all his final arrangements, only to learn that he'd been misdiagnosed and would live a full life after all. This poor guy in England is hardly at the peak of his earning power, and will have a hard time gaining financial equilibrium.

On the other hand, this does beat a misdiagnosis in the other direction, doesn't it!

Maybe someone else would have looked at it differently, run further tests, and all in all not jumped to such a conclusion. A similar thing happened to one of our former faculty. He retired early from work he loved, made all his final arrangements, only to learn that he'd been misdiagnosed and would live a full life after all. This poor guy in England is hardly at the peak of his earning power, and will have a hard time gaining financial equilibrium.

On the other hand, this does beat a misdiagnosis in the other direction, doesn't it!

I sympathize with the guy. I think the hospital should be held accountable. But you're right, it does beat getting misdiagnosed the other way around.

So what is keeping him from getting a job and beginning again? Satisfy yourself with what you have, not what you think you would have.

It is always someone elses fault. He should be glad he had a fling, that he does not have cancer and go on with his life.

Now if the DR told him to get rid of his stuff and have a fling, that is another matter alltogether. He is stupid for getting financial advice from a DR.

Well, obviously he wouldn't have spent everything if he hadn't been misdiagnosed. I definitely think some form of compensation for the emotional stress he's been put through is due.

Well, a wrong diagnosis is a wrong diagnosis, he should be compensated. And I think spending what he wasted his savings on is fair.

Well, a wrong diagnosis is a wrong diagnosis, he should be compensated. And I think spending what he wasted his savings on is fair.
Maybe, if they gave him no option to have a second opinion, if they somehow trapped him at the hospital where he lived out the remainder of his much longer life until they realized their mistake.

In this case, the patient had every opportunity to get a second or third opinion. I seriously doubt if the hospital didn't offer it to him.

Maybe, if they gave him no option to have a second opinion, if they somehow trapped him at the hospital where he lived out the remainder of his much longer life until they realized their mistake.

In this case, the patient had every opportunity to get a second or third opinion. I seriously doubt if the hospital didn't offer it to him.

That's ridiculous. Trying to put the fault on him because he didn't have a second opinion?! They were incompetant and they should be responsible for their incompetency.

I couldn't submit a report to my directors that was wrong and then say, "well you should have had a second opinion....."

Above a minimum standard various levels of competency exist in all fields including DR's.
How about taking this agrument to preachers and religion LadyT.

Above a minimum standard various levels of competency exist in all fields including DR's.
How about taking this agrument to preachers and religion LadyT.

Yes, but you have to take responsibility when you are getting paid as a professional and you make a mistake.

Yes, but you have to take responsibility when you are getting paid as a professional and you make a mistake.

Tell that to bush and co.

Is our congress and president going to pay off the war debt with their own money ?

Personally I think the guy was a bit stupid. Does he not deserve any responsibility for his mistake of spending all his money ?

That's ridiculous. Trying to put the fault on him because he didn't have a second opinion?! They were incompetant and they should be responsible for their incompetency.

I couldn't submit a report to my directors that was wrong and then say, "well you should have had a second opinion....."
We don't know if they are incompetent. We only know that they were wrong. Would the second opinion have been the same? We don't know. If he got one and it wasn't and his doctor was saying that they were incompetent I may believe it, but then he wouldn't be in his present circumstance. If he got one and it was it would just be further evidence that almost any doctor would have diagnosed him the same.

Instead we reward him for foolishness by giving him money from people that seem to have done their job just because we would assume that they were "incompetent"?

We don't know if they are incompetent. We only know that they were wrong. Would the second opinion have been the same? We don't know. If he got one and it wasn't and his doctor was saying that they were incompetent I may believe it, but then he wouldn't be in his present circumstance. If he got one and it was it would just be further evidence that almost any doctor would have diagnosed him the same.

Instead we reward him for foolishness by giving him money from people that seem to have done their job just because we would assume that they were "incompetent"?

I don't think he was foolish. What would you do if someone told you that you would be dead in one year? Spend it working?

But, I don't think the hospital can be held responsible either.

I am pretty much with Darla, but if I was told I had a year to live I WOULD get at LEAST one more opinion on the matter.
That is MY responsibility.

I don't think he was foolish. What would you do if someone told you that you would be dead in one year? Spend it working?

But, I don't think the hospital can be held responsible either.
I would get a second opinion before running amock with my cash in hand.

Back