Will AI replace humans?

BidenPresident

Verified User
Critics have backed away from “all humans are better at any task than computers” to “the most expert humans are better at some tasks than computers.” Now trapped in their ever-shrinking corner of pride, they insist that AI is doing no more than copying human excellence, or assembling a bricolage of what we have already done.

“It seems totally obvious to me,” he writes, “that of course all programs in the future will ultimately be written by AIs.” He advises computer scientists to evolve their thinking, instead of just sitting here waiting for the meteor to hit.

https://quillette.com/2023/02/13/ai-and-the-transformation-of-the-human-spirit/

AI is only as effective as the programmer that wrote it.

It can be very useful at a great number of repetitive tasks.

But replacing humans is only going to happen to those of a low IQ.

AI is only as effective as the programmer that wrote it.

Yes and no. It is really only as good as the training set it leverages. Beyond that it is not always clear even to the programmers how AI arrived at its preferred results.

But replacing humans is only going to happen to those of a low IQ.

Not sure about that. The AI content generators are already doing some pretty impressive work.

The emergence of AI is science, not evolution. Evolution is organic.

If AI ultimately destroys humanity,

probably to the delight of the remaining survivors of this planet except dogs and domestic cats,

it will have been humanity itself, the developer of AI, that did it.

Of course, I suppose we could say that organic changes in us forced us to do it, but so what?

Humanity on Earth is not going to last forever, and neither will the Earth itself.

That an absolute. We know that it's inevitable.

But since it doesn't appear sufficiently imminent to impact me,

I'd rather think about donuts.

The emergence of AI is science, not evolution.

If AI ultimately destroys humanity, probably to the delight of the planet itself,

it will have been humanity itself, the developer of AI, that did it.

Humanity on Earth is not going to last forever, and neither will the Earth itself.

That an absolute. We know that it's inevitable.

But since it doesn't appear sufficiently imminent to impact me,

I'd rather think about donuts.

You are not much of a thinker.

It won't be too much longer and AI will be our network security... You just pay Google to have its AI watch over your network, set the settings, VPN setups, real time virus updates... the hacker will either have to build their own AI or they'll be obsolete.

Critics have backed away from “all humans are better at any task than computers” to “the most expert humans are better at some tasks than computers.” Now trapped in their ever-shrinking corner of pride, they insist that AI is doing no more than copying human excellence, or assembling a bricolage of what we have already done.

“It seems totally obvious to me,” he writes, “that of course all programs in the future will ultimately be written by AIs.” He advises computer scientists to evolve their thinking, instead of just sitting here waiting for the meteor to hit.

https://quillette.com/2023/02/13/ai-and-the-transformation-of-the-human-spirit/

Great movie idea: AI created to travel human DNA and our history to a new suitable planet

Then the AI uses that DNA to recreate a human population

It raises the humans until they are capable of creating a human population on the new planet

It won't be too much longer and AI will be our network security... You just pay Google to have its AI watch over your network, set the settings, VPN setups, real time virus updates... the hacker will either have to build their own AI or they'll be obsolete.

"Every time they make a better mouse trap,the mice get smarter too".

I doubt that. I think they'll be writing their own code soon, likely the first actual sentient intelligence created artificially will be the product of a less than sentient form of AI.

Sentience is pretty meaningless. Like saying AI doesn't have five toes on each foot.

Sentience is pretty meaningless. Like saying AI doesn't have five toes on each foot.

Realizing you are alive is an important element of calling something a life form. While I do not necessarily think that non sentient AI isn't intelligent or clever, I just point out that sentience does matter if you want the intelligence to ever think outside the box rather than just mimic what it sees inside the box.

Realizing you are alive is an important element of calling something a life form. While I do not necessarily think that non sentient AI isn't intelligent or clever, I just point out that sentience does matter if you want the intelligence to ever think outside the box rather than just mimic what it sees inside the box.

AI is a system that educates itself.

Novelists have been using a computer program to help them write fictional books for almost half a century. Louis L'Amour comes to mind. Stephen Hawking has done the same to write his imaginary theory of everything.

AI cannot write nonfiction. It lacks consciousness. The mechanical dog army will kill indiscriminately.

I doubt that. I think they'll be writing their own code soon, likely the first actual sentient intelligence created artificially will be the product of a less than sentient form of AI.

Humans created AI

To them we are the creators

Humans created AI

To them we are the creators

But it's not a stretch to think that improved software generation may now be possible using AI.

The displacement of "creativity" is one of the most jarring aspects to AI for me. The recent explosion of AI content generators (both text and graphics) has kind of caught me by surprise at how quickly it came to fruition sufficient to create compelling output.

I'm not one given to "the end is near" thinking, but I fear that AI is accelerating and there are going to be lots of negative ripples in our "knowledge and creative economies" that are impacted by this.

On the up-side it's possible that AI will allow us to achieve unimaginable strides as well. I've heard they are applying it to problems in protein folding now.

This is going to be a weird next couple decades I think.

Back