• Windows 8

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • I've converted to Apple

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Granule

Firebrand
I picked up a new laptop the other day, and got my first introduction to Windows 8. After pulling my hair out looking for that precious start tab, I came to realize that it isn't there. I decided to read some reviews, and learned that most others don't like it either. Windows 8 kind of reminds me of Windows Vista (which was also a piece of shit).

So my question to you is, which do you prefer?

I picked up a new laptop the other day, and got my first introduction to Windows 8. After pulling my hair out looking for that precious start tab, I came to realize that it isn't there. I decided to read some reviews, and learned that most others don't like it either. Windows 8 kind of reminds me of Windows Vista (which was also a piece of shit).

Where is the option for Linux?

You can get your start menu back for $4.99 by getting Start8. Failing that you could wait until the summer when Windows Blue is rolled out although it is rumoured that MS are going to charge for it. Better than that, just download Zorin OS 6 I use it every day and it's the dog's bollocks.

http://zorin-os.com/index.html

http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/

I may be the only one who likes it, but I definitely do. It works well for me and I have had no issues with how it runs, crashing, etc. Once I got used to where to find things without the start tab, it's been way better than 7 in its reliability.

I may be the only one who likes it, but I definitely do. It works well for me and I have had no issues with how it runs, crashing, etc. Once I got used to where to find things without the start tab, it's been way better than 7 in its reliability.

I hate to say I told you so, well actually I don't really, but I predicted that it would be another Vista. You are an expert user so you don't mind the learning curve, most people are not in that category and don't want to relearn everything. Maybe Windows Blue (8.1) will fix it?

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/380713/windows-blue-8-1-screenshots-features-expected-release-date

what are you guys talking about there being no start menu? just get out of metro (or w/e the fuck it's called now)

and honestly a start menu really isn't needed with the way we can index files today. Even if I were using windows, I would probably be using the search bar or just shortcuts instead of doing like 5 clicks to get what I want.

tom your reply has nothing to do with what I said.

It wasn't my intention to address your points, as I said before most people hate Windows 8 and nothing you can say will make any difference. It is a mangy old dog of a GUI with a decent OS struggling to get out underneath. It is neither fish nor fowl, I bet you liked Vista as well.

I think that this article from 2011 in ZDNet by Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols really gets it and highlights why it is such a festering bag of pus. By the way, I disagree with him about Unity, that is almost as bad as well. I much prefer KDE 4, Cinnamon or the Zorin OS 6 skin of Win 7.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/windows-8-a-bad-bet/61455

Last edited:
It wasn't my intention to address your points, as I said before most people hate Windows 8 and nothing you can say will make any difference. It is a mangy old dog of a GUI with a decent OS struggling to get out underneath. It is neither fish nor fowl, I bet you liked Vista as well.

I think that this article from 2011 in ZDNet by Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols really gets it and highlights why it is such a festering bag of pus. By the way, I disagree with him about Unity, that is almost as bad as well. I much prefer KDE 4, Cinnamon or the Zorin OS 6 skin of Win 7.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/windows-8-a-bad-bet/61455

IM NOT COMMENTING ON THE STATE OF THE OS AS A WHOLE YOU FUCKING IDIOT I WAS TALKING SPECIFICALLY ABOUT THE START MENU. SO WHEN YOU SAY SOMETHING LIKE:

and nothing you can say will make any difference.

YOU ARE IMPLYING I AM COMMENTING ABOUT SOMETHING I AM NOT. DO YOU SEE ME USING WINDOWS YOU TARD? NO. I'M NOT. I HAVEN'T USED WINDOWS SINCE XP. DO YOU SEE ME COMMENTING ON THE STATE OF THE OS AS A WHOLE? NO, I AM NOT. SO WHY DO YOU KEEP INSISTING ON DISCUSSING SOMETHING THAT I NEVER REFERRED TO IN THIS THREAD? DO YOU HAVE DOWNS? ARE YOUR DOWN SYNDROME SQUINTY EYES PREVENTING YOU FROM READING WHAT I AM ACTUALLY SAYING? CAN YOU GET YOUR FUCKING OLD MAN ASPERGERS TO SETTLE DOWN FOR A MOMENT AND JUST ADDRESS WHAT IS ACTUALLY BE TALKED ABOUT RATHER THAN GOING OFF ON TANGENTS? CAN YOU? CAUSE THAT WOULD BE FUCKING LOVELY!

IM NOT COMMENTING ON THE STATE OF THE OS AS A WHOLE YOU FUCKING IDIOT

Jeez, I can see now why you are such a danger on the roads, you really need to go to some anger management classes. I told you last year that Windows 8 was a dog and you defended it, it is not my fault that I was proved right and you ended up looking like a prick.

My youngest son, who is a second year computer science undergrad, got a new laptop recently and tolerated Win 8 for a month before doing a dual boot with Zorin OS 6. He has absolutely no reason to use Windows any more since Steam was released for Ubuntu.

Last edited:
I didn't defend it. I said it wouldn't be a big of a deal as you were making it out to be. Comps and laptops and tablets are still shipping with windows 8. But this has nothing to do with what I am saying in this thread. You go off on irrelevant tangents about stupid bullshit.

As for your son, wow, an anecdotal story from someone who has a dad that complains about windows 8 everyday. I am sure he made a completely unbiased and uninfluenced decision in that regard... lol.

IM NOT COMMENTING ON THE STATE OF THE OS AS A WHOLE YOU FUCKING IDIOT I WAS TALKING SPECIFICALLY ABOUT THE START MENU. SO WHEN YOU SAY SOMETHING LIKE:

YOU ARE IMPLYING I AM COMMENTING ABOUT SOMETHING I AM NOT. DO YOU SEE ME USING WINDOWS YOU TARD? NO. I'M NOT. I HAVEN'T USED WINDOWS SINCE XP. DO YOU SEE ME COMMENTING ON THE STATE OF THE OS AS A WHOLE? NO, I AM NOT. SO WHY DO YOU KEEP INSISTING ON DISCUSSING SOMETHING THAT I NEVER REFERRED TO IN THIS THREAD? DO YOU HAVE DOWNS? ARE YOUR DOWN SYNDROME SQUINTY EYES PREVENTING YOU FROM READING WHAT I AM ACTUALLY SAYING? CAN YOU GET YOUR FUCKING OLD MAN ASPERGERS TO SETTLE DOWN FOR A MOMENT AND JUST ADDRESS WHAT IS ACTUALLY BE TALKED ABOUT RATHER THAN GOING OFF ON TANGENTS? CAN YOU? CAUSE THAT WOULD BE FUCKING LOVELY!

Lulz. You went with size 6, not 7.

I didn't defend it. I said it wouldn't be a big of a deal as you were making it out to be. Comps and laptops and tablets are still shipping with windows 8. But this has nothing to do with what I am saying in this thread. You go off on irrelevant tangents about stupid bullshit.

As for your son, wow, an anecdotal story from someone who has a dad that complains about windows 8 everyday. I am sure he made a completely unbiased and uninfluenced decision in that regard... lol.

If you knew my son you wouldn't say something like that, his default setting is to disagree with me on just about everything.

I said to you last year that Win 8 was a bag of shite and that MS must have an update in the wings when it inevitably goes tits up. Well it has and they have, it's called Windows 8.1 coming out in the summer. By the way, I was not flying off at a tangent, I was ignoring you, there is a big difference.

Last edited:
if you were ignoring me you wouldn't keep quoting and responding to me, and you wouldn't address things I have never said. I say something about the start menu and you start talking about the operating system as a whole.

Back