windows vista

its good too see people are having a good experince with vista, atleast much better the what i saw when xp came out

i justput vista to the ultimit test. got my grandpa a new pc with vista on it. he was using win 98. i think i have only had one call from him in the week he has had it. now thats good. and his problem was that he couldnt remmeber a password.

so i guess i would recomend vista over xp now atleast for home users.

i get to start doing some major testing for the workplace here in the next few weeks, cant wait for the new group policy stuff. deployment should be intresting too. ill let you all know how it goes.

They spent about 5 years on it. I would be surprised if it wasn't any good. In contrast, they spent about 2 years on XP, and even less time on Me (Me is the worst operating system in history, BTW).

From all the negative press I've been hearing, I expected my new Vista laptop to blow up as soon as I opened. Vista's working perfectly, it looks a hell of a lot better than XP, and it's easier to use. The only real problem I see with it is UAC; you can't run practically anything unless you right click on it and click "run as administrator". Also, some programs that need to edit certain files won't work unless you do this. It was easy for a person like me to find the answer to the problem, but I'm sure a computer Newb would just give up and install Vista.

BTW, US, that was probably the answer to your problem.

Nope I was logged in as administrator.
It is a known problem with some of our corporate security software.
Vists is not yet officially supported in our corporation. They provided me with free XP Pro so I could get my laptop going. I just am obligated to delete it next week after I retire. Np I will poke the restore disc in there and go with Vista vision.

Nope I was logged in as administrator.
It is a known problem with some of our corporate security software.
Vists is not yet officially supported in our corporation. They provided me with free XP Pro so I could get my laptop going. I just am obligated to delete it next week after I retire. Np I will poke the restore disc in there and go with Vista vision.

US, Vista is different. Even if you're logged in as administrator, some programs need to be opened "as an administrator" or else they won't work. It assumes that whoever's opening it is not an administrator by default - which has a lot of security sense to it. It's just annoying and causes a lot of programs to fail. I know that the game "Morrowind", for instance, creates it's shader packages and edits them before you start the game for the first time. So even if you're logged on as administrator, it will not run unless you right click on it and press "run as administrator". Get it? I've heard people in forums complaining about that problem, and someone suggested that they run it as an administrator, and they just said that same thing you said, "Nope, I'm logged on as administrator". You need to RUN it as an administrator. it's confusing, I know. But, If you don't know that, you may have some problems once you start running Vista again. It depends on whether or not you're a techie.

And I could probably crack XP pro for ya ;).

And for some weirdass reason Lenovo (WORST COMPUTER MANUFACTURER IN HISTORY, DO NOT BUY FROM THEM) didn't give me a restore disc. Damo, do you know why they didn't do that?

Thanks WM you are right I think on the login thing, and that is probably what is giving some of the security software fits. As well as myself. I only fooled around witrh it for an hour or so before I called our departments PC support guy. He said not to waste my time and he would Fedex me XP.

Naah can get a cracked one, but all my PC's have legit copies. I just needed one for the laptop for work. They were nice enough to send me one, could have downloaded it from the corporate site, but takes a while.

Yes I am a techie, but not at all familiar yet with Vista.

I lean more towards Unix and mainframes.
That is mainly where I have been working for about 15 years now.
I have been working as a project administrator for a couple of years now, so not quite as much hands on techie stuff recently.

I recently put the PC version of Sun Unix on one PC. Pretty cool.

All old techie's are starting to throw a fit and not buying Vista. But Vista is honestly a lot better than XP. Go figure. Everyone hates Microsoft. The tech guy probably could've easily found a solution to the problem, but he just hated Microsoft. That's how they are.

Sun Unix? I've heard it was interesting. I've seen screenshots, that's all. I have Ubuntu, a newbie version of Linux, on my PC as well as Vista. I never use it, though, because I can't figure out how to get it to recongnise the network card. It lists an app that fixes the problem, but then I go to where it says to install it from and it's not there. Confusing as hell. I'm honestly thinking about deleting the damn thing. Will save me a few button clicks on startup and 10GBs.

I wouldn't say "don't buy it" I would say "wait until the SR2". By that time drivers and everything will be ready made for it, and most of the huge security issues will be found and dealt with.

I give the advice for a reason, not because I think the OS is bad, but because I know the problems that they have on all, or most, first release OS software.

I have installed it on some business 'puters, because that is what they asked for. In almost every case they have requested it to be changed after a time because of many issues that I have outlined before on this board.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend installing it on old computers until SR2. There's really no reason to buy the whole thing and replace XP, and most of your hardware probablys doesn't have drivers for it. But if you're actually getting a new computer buying both XP and Vista is a frivolous expense whenever SP1 probably isn't going to be very far off. And I find it hard to imagine that Vista is less secure than XP. They spent A LOT of time on Vista's security after the XP fiasco. UAC may be annoying, but in any OS as popular as Windows you're going to have so many virus's you'll be destroying your computer if you don't go through a few annoyances.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend installing it on old computers until SR2. There's really no reason to buy the whole thing and replace XP, and most of your hardware probablys doesn't have drivers for it. But if you're actually getting a new computer buying both XP and Vista is a frivolous expense whenever SP1 probably isn't going to be very far off. And I find it hard to imagine that Vista is less secure than XP. They spent A LOT of time on Vista's security after the XP fiasco. UAC may be annoying, but in any OS as popular as Windows you're going to have so many virus's you'll be destroying your computer if you don't go through a few annoyances.
Hence my "don't install" advice. If I were buying a brand new personal computer, I'd be buying one with Vista. I would not buy a business computer with Vista, yet. But XP is still an option, in fact it was returned as an option when businesses freaked all over some of the major sellers for not allowing its purchase any longer.

Businesses, of necessity, are more conservative than personal users in regard to new OS systems.

Buying Vista ? I have no reason to do that as for now XP or Unix fills my needs.
It is not too darn cheap either.

Anyone ever used the sofftware download outfit that sells MS and Adobe stuff cheap ? they spam the heck out of me....so I would not buy from them, but just curious.

Buying Vista ? I have no reason to do that as for now XP or Unix fills my needs.
It is not too darn cheap either.

Anyone ever used the sofftware download outfit that sells MS and Adobe stuff cheap ? they spam the heck out of me....so I would not buy from them, but just curious.

You could use openoffice and picassa (is that like photoshop, Damo?). You could also pirate Office and Photosohp through Bittorent, cross your fingers, and hope someones developed a crack for it.

Windows 98 is now open source... interesting. I might consider sticking it on this computer. It should run games faster, for the games it will actually run.

Hence my "don't install" advice. If I were buying a brand new personal computer, I'd be buying one with Vista. I would not buy a business computer with Vista, yet. But XP is still an option, in fact it was returned as an option when businesses freaked all over some of the major sellers for not allowing its purchase any longer.

Businesses, of necessity, are more conservative than personal users in regard to new OS systems.

I think only Dell did that, Damo...

But if you were a business, then fuck the workers. Install Linux on all of the computers, or pirate Windows 2000. If you don't use Windows, then your employers can't install most games on the computer and waste your time trying to weed them out. Also, most of them will be too stupid to know how to find an IM service for it besides the one you've set up for your internal network. Linux is also free.

Back