Worker Shortage Looms for Defense Sector

uscitizen

Villified User
Worker Shortage Looms for Defense Sector

Tuesday March 4, 2:24 PM EST

WASHINGTON (AP) — The aerospace and defense sector is bracing for a potential brain drain over the next decade as a generation of Cold War scientists and engineers hits retirement age and not enough qualified young Americans seek to take their place.

The problem — almost 60 percent of U.S. aerospace workers in 2007 were 45 or older — could affect national security and even close the door on commercial products that start out as military technology, industry officials said.

While U.S. universities are awarding two-and-a-half times more engineering, math and computer science degrees than they did 40 years ago, defense companies must compete with the likes of Google, Microsoft and Verizon for the best and the brightest.

"It's about choices," said Rich Hartnett, director of global staffing at Boeing Co. "There are so many more options today with a proliferation in the kinds of degrees and career paths that people can follow."

Industry leaders are doing their best to emphasize the allure, and growing importance, of jobs linked to national defense.

Aerospace Industries Association Chief Executive Marion Blakey said the U.S. could be facing another "wake-up call," similar to the 1957 Soviet launch of Sputnik, the world's first satellite. China's success in shooting down one of its own satellites last year, as well as the upcoming retirement of the U.S. space shuttle fleet, signal that the country cannot afford to take its technological and military superiority for granted, said Blakey, the former head of the Federal Aviation Administration.

In addition to fierce competition for a limited pool of math and science experts from all corners of corporate America, contractors working on classified government programs are hamstrung by another factor: restrictions on hiring foreigners or off-shoring work to other countries.

"The ability to attract and retain individuals with technical skills is a lifeblood issue for us," said Ian Ziskin, corporate vice president and chief human resources and administrative officer for Los Angeles-based Northrop Grumman Corp.

Ziskin estimates that roughly half of Northrop Grumman's 122,000 workers will be eligible to retire in the next five to 10 years. The trend is the same at Lockheed Martin Corp., of Bethesda, Md., which could lose up to half of its work force of 140,000 to retirement over the next decade. At Chicago-based Boeing, about 15 percent of the company's engineers are 55 or older and eligible to retire now.

http://finance.myway.com/jsp/nw/nwdt_rt.jsp?section=news&feed=ap&src=601&news_id=ap-d8v6q54g0&date=20080304

oil industry faces the same problem, I'm 48 and the overwhelming majority are older than I am. We are finnally bringing in a bunch of under 30 engineers.

I graduated with an aerospace/mech eng. degree, then one day at my internship at a defense contractor.....I did the math and realized I could make so much more outside the defense sector.

I graduated with an aerospace/mech eng. degree, then one day at my internship at a defense contractor.....I did the math and realized I could make so much more outside the defense sector.

How did that super modeling gig work out?

(just teasing)

AND.... not be subjected to the boom and bust employment cycles. F' the guy from Boeing- they were the WORST at booming and busting - to them people were disposable.

Disposable workers are the touted mobile workforce of the 21st century. The price is yet to be paid for that folly.

my father is in the industry and its really become quite the corp game there like it is in the financial sector.. they will have to start paying higher to get people to play that corp game there versus somewhere else that pays higher now.

my father is in the industry and its really become quite the corp game there like it is in the financial sector.. they will have to start paying higher to get people to play that corp game there versus somewhere else that pays higher now.

which means a still higher defense budget. Does not look good in any case.

Need more H1B visa workers to defend America :clink:

Wrong again. We need to abandon "esteem based" education, and actually make kids learn stuff.

American Jobs For Americans!

Perhaps we need to abandon possesion self esteem a bit ?
Go for the career that truely suits you, not necessarially the same thing as the career that gets you the most possessions.

Perhaps we need to abandon possesion self esteem a bit ?
Go for the career that truely suits you, not necessarially the same thing as the career that gets you the most possessions.

to a certain extent.. but i will never pay 100K plus for my kids school if its a useless degree with no jobs.

to a certain extent.. but i will never pay 100K plus for my kids school if its a useless degree with no jobs.

yeah I understand that too. But there are plenty of jobs that do not require a degree in the defense industries. Tech education is a partial answer. Not everyone can handle or needs a 4 year degree.

yeah I understand that too. But there are plenty of jobs that do not require a degree in the defense industries. Tech education is a partial answer. Not everyone can handle or needs a 4 year degree.

right. Some kids are more inclined for technical jobs. We have a great alternative tech high school available if your child seems to be headed that way. Transfer them into the high school and they can specialize in a tech.

Hell id love it if my son became some sort of technical wiz in alternative energy or something.. once he was fully baked id bank roll him a business.

Yepper, imagine if it was spinners world. all 4 year degrees. A BS to sling burgers at McDonalds.

Many jobs now require a college degree when there is not a need for it. The jobs I have held for the last 20 years technically require 4 year degrees, but they keep giving me waivers I only have a 2 year tech post HS eddication.
But of course I have about 3,000 classroom hours of training beyond my other eductaion.

but if I were to try and get in the door now as a youngster I would need a 4 yr degree.

well even in tech its helpful to get an advanced degree. higher education is most definitely not useless. You ALWAYS gain something.

well even in tech its helpful to get an advanced degree. higher education is most definitely not useless. You ALWAYS gain something.

Oh I am not saying they are bad, but just not for everyone. And that all jobs that say they require a 4 yr degree do not need to have that requirement.

An auto mechanic only needs a 2 yr deg. And working on cars is all that some desire to do.
A 2 yr tech degree is pretty much required for an auto mechanic now-a-days though.
That is why I sponsor scholarships at the local vo-tech school and helped to start up an automotive electronics class. I also have 2 interns at my business from votech.

the more college educated you have the more demand for college educated jobs.
Why, you would have learned had you taken economics.
new creations, educated people don't flip burgers they invent the automated flipper.

Back