Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Sprint

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • T-Mobile

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cox

Votes: 1 11.1%

• Total voters
no anti-apple circlejerk. interesting. I vote att. damn comcast is a close second though.

I find Apple annoying, talking about AT&T eventually results in my eyes twitching and my mouth frothing over.

To repost what I just posted reddit:

This is ridiculous. AT&T makes $120 billion a year in revenue, $50 billion a year in profits, and yet spends only $20 billion a year in capital expenditure on improving their networks, less than half of that on their wireline service. BellSouth laid a fibre line less than 500 feet from my house, in the middle of nowhere, the last leg of my DSL connection, as part of their eventual plan to connect every Mississippi resident to a fibre line. But then they got eaten up by ATT, and ATT is never going to connect it. They're probably just going to rip it up, finishing those last few meters is not worth it to them, and they're going to cancel even my shitty DSL in a few years, according to their own plans. It's not like it wouldn't make money, it just doesn't make enough. So they're going to torch it, and leave us all with 4G, a thimbulful of internet at a king's ransom (50 gig caps for $400 a month!)

They're just greedy assholes, holding back the entire internet. If they think finishing rural residents fiber connections is worthless, the Federal government should nationalize rural fiber ATT has no plans of finishing at the price they themselves have set: $0. Let's see how much they like that. We pay them a fortune in fees, they respond by not upgrading their networks for decades, and then eventually drawing them back! We need to get tough with them, make it clear: you provide for all, or you provide for none! You do not fuck with the American people!

I would be willing to buy 500 feet of fiber, dig the hole myself, and lay it right next to their damn fiber line present right next my house. But I know ATT would never hook it up, because they're assholes, and even if they did (which they never in any universe would, this is just a thought experiment), they'd just bill it as U-Verse at 24mbps, because it's not fair to give me the actual speed of what the actual connection would be when all the rest of their customers just get the slow ass, decades old VDSL technology they've finally gotten around to deploying (and only because Cable internet is eating their lunch) that they've branded as "U-Verse" and often pretend is fiber (it's not, it's decades old VDSL they they should have upgraded to long ago).

Had to go with Comcast, the thinking about AT&T has gotten my blood pressure pretty high at the moment. Of those listed, the only one I wouldn't wish a fiery death upon is Sprint. They've always been honest with me and provided me with pretty good service.

Had to go with Comcast, the thinking about AT&T has gotten my blood pressure pretty high at the moment. Of those listed, the only one I wouldn't wish a fiery death upon is Sprint. They've always been honest with me and provided me with pretty good service.

Too bad that neither Sprint or T-Mobile have expanded into my market. I only options I have for 4g are ATT or Verizon. Now, there is not any competition between the two primary US national carriers, they pretty much mirror each other, providing identical services at identical price points. Now, I personally sign up to CSpire, even though I only get 3G with them in my area, just out of pure spite, greedy, evil companies like ATT and Verizon do not deserve my money, I hope they all die.

You know, in the FCC deal that ATT made when they purchased BellSouth, they promised up the yazoo about vastly expanding wireline broadband to rural residents. Except, when it actually went through, they more or less stopped all efforts that BellSouth was then making. We haven't seen any upgrades at all to our service in the decade since ATT bought BellSouth. And now they are planning, again, to draw them back (about 25% of current DSL customers are going to be left behind, abandoned by ATT to shitty ass 4G with absurdly low data caps, as they shift to more dense markets with slightly higher profit margins that finally get upgraded to UVerse with, slightly less shitty, still ancient DSL technology). Why doesn't the FCC do anything about this? ATT never keeps any of it's promises.

Neither does Verizon - they made a deal with New Jersey to upgrade every New Jersey resident to FiOS decades ago, have only barely completed the plan. Now Chris Christie is appearing like he's just going to let them off the hook. And FiOS is not really a fiber service anyway, 20mbps? Fuck you. I know for a fact that fiber can deliver much higher bandwidth than that without caps, as Google Fiber has shown.

The penalty for this should be forcible nationalization. You keep your promises, or else we seize your company and use the massive profits you've just been sending to your investors to keep them for you. That, or lynching.

Hopefully Google Fiber throws them all out of business soon. I would welcome a Google hegemony, they're the only interesting thing in the current Telco market, the only company with any interest in doing anything but sucking all the profit they can out of late-90's era infrastructure while otherwise doing nothing.

I find Apple annoying, talking about AT&T eventually results in my eyes twitching and my mouth frothing over.

To repost what I just posted reddit:

This is ridiculous. AT&T makes $120 billion a year in revenue, $50 billion a year in profits, and yet spends only $20 billion a year in capital expenditure on improving their networks, less than half of that on their wireline service. BellSouth laid a fibre line less than 500 feet from my house, in the middle of nowhere, the last leg of my DSL connection, as part of their eventual plan to connect every Mississippi resident to a fibre line. But then they got eaten up by ATT, and ATT is never going to connect it. They're probably just going to rip it up, finishing those last few meters is not worth it to them, and they're going to cancel even my shitty DSL in a few years, according to their own plans. It's not like it wouldn't make money, it just doesn't make enough. So they're going to torch it, and leave us all with 4G, a thimbulful of internet at a king's ransom (50 gig caps for $400 a month!)

They're just greedy assholes, holding back the entire internet. If they think finishing rural residents fiber connections is worthless, the Federal government should nationalize rural fiber ATT has no plans of finishing at the price they themselves have set: $0. Let's see how much they like that. We pay them a fortune in fees, they respond by not upgrading their networks for decades, and then eventually drawing them back! We need to get tough with them, make it clear: you provide for all, or you provide for none! You do not fuck with the American people!

AT&T made around $8 billion net income on total revenues of nearly $129 billion.

http://income-statements.findthebest.com/l/2321/At-And-T

Last edited:
I agree on nationalizing the infrastructure for telecoms. Access to the internet should be treated the same as access to clean water.

Well, mostly the "NATIONALIZE THE TELCOS" is more out of pure spite than anything else. I don't really care about a telco that's actually doing their job, like Google Fiber, and if the rest of the Telco's start doing there's, I'll be glad. But it's only by putting their feet under the fire we'll see anything done, be that by threatening them with government intervention, or with real competition (as Google is providing).

Also, I'm about to submit a job application to AT&T tomorrow. If that goes through, then let's just sweep all of this under the rug. If anyone wants a blowjob, as well, I can make that happen, just call me and we can work something out.

Also, I'm about to submit a job application to AT&T tomorrow. If that goes through, then let's just sweep all of this under the rug. If anyone wants a blowjob, as well, I can make that happen, just call me and we can work something out.

Or, you could take them down from the inside, as a certain friend of mine is doing. Also, they pay VERY well, so best of luck to you. You might end up making more than me if you get in.

I think that, if I'm ever an AT&T employee, and see Randall Stephenson, I'm just going to have to slap him. I don't care if I lose my job, it's impossible to look at that face and fail to react violently.

att-chairman-and-ceo-randall-stephenson-promoting-live-share4.jpg

How can you not punch this?

Back