Would Adam Smith be a Republican or a Democrat today?

It's part of social indoctrination to "feel good". Children should be rewarded for good social behavior such as sharing toys or food, treating others with respect and avoiding public tantrums. As they grow older, they won't need rewards, but will "feel good" by seeing the results of good social behavior.
I get it, but what Aristotle, Siddartha Gautama, Confucious, Kant taught is that virtue should be cultivated so that it becomes second-nature; you shouldn't even have to stop and think about consequences. They taught virtuous actions need to be de-linked and divorced from pride and ego. I don't think everyone embraces that attitude, but their type of deontological attitude was taught widely enough by the world's religions and philosophies that it is an aspirational goal for many people.

I get it, but what Aristotle, Siddartha Gautama, Confucious, Kant taught is that virtue should be cultivated so that it becomes second-nature; you shouldn't even have to stop and think about consequences. They taught virtuous actions need to be de-linked and divorced from pride and ego. I don't think everyone embraces that attitude, but their type of deontological attitude was taught widely enough by the world's religions and philosophies that it is an aspirational goal for many people.
Which is what social indoctrination of children does, teaching until it becomes second nature.

MAGAts will complain that's a bad thing, but it's important for adults to learn in order to become most effective in the adult social and work world. Adults who don't share, throw tantrums or disrespect their collegues usually won't be successful.

Which is what social indoctrination of children does, teaching until it becomes second nature.

MAGAts will complain that's a bad thing, but it's important for adults to learn in order to become most effective in the adult social and work world. Adults who don't share, throw tantrums or disrespect their collegues usually won't be successful.
Yes, that sounds right.

Anyone who is practicing virtue because it builds up their ego, their self-worth, their pride is practicing virtue for the wrong reasons.

What I got out of Lao Tzu, Aristotle, Jesus, Siddhartha Gautauma, and Confucius is that duty and selfless action should be cultivated and honed to come naturally as second nature, and should never be based on how it affects your ego, pride, and reputation.

The fact this is so widely taught by the famous sages makes it an seem like an aspirational goal that is superior to the concept of calculating how to act based on appraisal of self interest as somew promoted on this thread.

Last edited:
Yes, that sounds right.

Anyone who is practicing virtue because it builds up their ego, their self-worth, their pride is practicing virtue for the wrong reasons.

What I got out of Lao Tzu, Aristotle, Jesus, Siddhartha Gautauma, and Confucius is that duty and selfless action should be cultivated and honed to come naturally as second nature, and should never be based on how it affects your ego, pride, and reputation.

The fact this is so widely taught by the famous sages makes it an seem like an aspirational goal that is superior to the concept of calculating how to act based on appraisal of self interest.
It sounds to me like the difference between a child mind which resists certain teachings and a mature mind which enjoys learning for its own sake.

IMO, too many adults possess immature minds as shown by being selfish, narcissistic or believe someone has to lose so they can win.

It's part of social indoctrination to "feel good". Children should be rewarded for good social behavior such as sharing toys or food, treating others with respect and avoiding public tantrums. As they grow older, they won't need rewards, but will "feel good" by seeing the results of good social behavior.
the cultural marxists want none of this....

they want addicted tantrum throwers who they can addict to meth and turn into mass murdering sterilized supersoldiers.

personal moral codes are not automatically disordered or wrong, if they're actually moral.

Moral codes become MORE disordered under centuries old institutions, who spend billions to destroy the meanings of words.
The meanings of words cannot be destroyed, even if idiots trying to redefine them continue to repeat themselves.
It is simply denying the English language and trying to pass off Liberal as the English language.

It sounds to me like the difference between a child mind which resists certain teachings and a mature mind which enjoys learning for its own sake.

IMO, too many adults possess immature minds as shown by being selfish, narcissistic or believe someone has to lose so they can win.
You are describing yourself again, Sybil.

MAGA isn't person, Sybil. You are describing yourself again.

Back