WTF, actual Limey food

walkers-prawn-cocktail-flavour-crisps-case-of-48-x-32.5g-bags-price-marked-0.57p-6107-p.jpg

Shrimp-flavored potato chips
Those are very popular in Asia.

I have a friend with a can of Haggis on his desk at work. I'm pretty sure he bought it in the US.
Haggis can be found in the US, it's just not traditional Haggis as the USDA does not permit it to be made with sheeps lungs. I had the American version, served with mashed potatos and gravy. It was really pretty good. Tasted like ground sausage to me.

I've had blood pudding in several guises. My grandfather made it with pork blood, liver, bits of pork meat and oats and stuffed it into a sausage casing and put it in the smoke house. It was awful. My wife's family make what they call chocolate meat by mixing pork blood with scraps of pork and a little acid and stir frying it in a wok. Served with rice of course. That's not bad at all. In fact eaten as they do it's pretty good.

Bacon is pork belly... Just informing here.
Actually in most of the world bacon is made from back and side meat of the hog. The U.S. is one of the few places that make it from pork belly. Technically it's not bacon until the pork belly has been salted or brined then cured or smoked. In most of Europe pork belly is used for making lardon or pancetta and is used mainly for flavoring.

Canadian Bacon is really a thick cut of back bacon. The Brits thin cut it into rashers like our bacon. It's not quite as flavorful as our pork belly bacon but is a lot leaner and therefore much healthier and still tastes pretty damned good. Tom sent me some a while back and I quite liked it.

It's not true haggis because it excludes sheep heart and lungs. Sheep lung is prohibited as an ingredient in the US, so true haggis from Scotland is banned from import. Also appears to be wrapped in cellulose rather than true sheep's stomach (although for the record a lot of modern haggis in Scotland is prepared this way).

I may try it some day. There is little I wouldn't at least try. I mean I put that disgusting lutefisk in my mouth three separate times...

Things I won't even try to eat: Anything with hands. The brains of any animal.

I may try it some day. There is little I wouldn't at least try. I mean I put that disgusting lutefisk in my mouth three separate times...

Things I won't even try to eat: Anything with hands. The brains of any animal.

It'd basically be liver and meat, not so disgusting. I've tried liver before, but it's not really my thing.

Also I don't really think you should be banned from eating things with lung in them but I can see where they're coming from (they probably wanted to prevent companies from just throwing low quality offal like that as filler into the food without people really knowing).

Back