Yet Another Question (actually 2 questions):

I dont find JPP to be strictly leisure, there are a few people here I can learn from, and my time here also tends to be good for brain function...the language and logic centers get some workout.

Education and utility are not exactly leisure.
I do a lot of other things on my laptop than JPP.

I love sawmill, construction, heavy equipment and many other types of material on you tube.

I also watch a lot of pool. One of my passions since childhood.

And cue building as well I am a somewhat renowned builder of pool cues and sell them all over the world. A good side hustle.

That is correct.

When you are self employed you make hay while the sun is shining and do other stuff when you have time. The balance has always seemed right to me because working for yourself makes the "work" much less tedious. No time clock. No one to satisfy except yourself. But you still have to crack the nut.

For instance today I worked at the shop until lunch then I went and hauled a load of gravel and excavated a road behind the shop. What is work and what is leisure? It all blends together in perfect harmony. Plus having my wife involved in all of it is a bonus.

And I'm building us a new house with my own hands in my spare time.
Obviously I have done a bad job of explaining what I mean by "leisure time."

In condensed version, by "leisure time" I mean time doing whatever you want to do when you are not doing "earning a living." Obviously I am talking about work done for someone else. Not self-employed work...and certainly not work done outside of the "earning a living" function. You are building a new house. I worked in construction. IT IS HARD WORK...you bust your ass doing it. Lots of heavy lifting and other muscle work...and lots of climbing, etc. That is part of YOUR leisure time. That is doing what you want...rather than being out "earning a living."

So, with that in mind...take another look at question #2...and consider your answer.

That question, now that I see what you and a few others are saying, should have read more like:

Without regard for any supposed need for money, do you wish that things work out so that you have more time to do what you want to do...including hard work (what I refer to as leisure time) and less earn-a-living work during what remains of your lifetime?

Obviously I have done a bad job of explaining what I mean by "leisure time."

In condensed version, by "leisure time" I mean time doing whatever you want to do when you are not doing "earning a living." Obviously I am talking about work done for someone else. Not self-employed work...and certainly not work done outside of the "earning a living" function. You are building a new house. I worked in construction. IT IS HARD WORK...you bust your ass doing it. Lots of heavy lifting and other muscle work...and lots of climbing, etc. That is part of YOUR leisure time. That is doing what you want...rather than being out "earning a living."

So, with that in mind...take another look at question #2...and consider your answer.

That question, now that I see what you and a few others are saying, should have read more like:

Without regard for any supposed need for money, do you wish that things work out so that you have more time to do what you want to do...including hard work (what I refer to as leisure time) and less earn-a-living work during what remains of your lifetime?
I plan to live in this house for two years then sell it. I am not earning a living doing it but amassing a small fortune for my family's future.

I would still say no to this question. At some point this may change but for now I don't desire any more leisure time.

I ran my business very hands on for 25 plus years being the face of it to the public. One day I hit a wall and decided I didn't enjoy dealing with people any more and took steps to hire a manager. That was about 3 years ago so in that regard I have a lot more of what you're referring to as leisure time now. So I guess things have already worked out for me to have what the question asks. But worked out isn't really the right way to state it. I did it, it didn't just work out this way. I have a saying in pool, the more I practice the luckier I get.

I do a lot of other things on my laptop than JPP.

I love sawmill, construction, heavy equipment and many other types of material on you tube.

I also watch a lot of pool. One of my passions since childhood.

And cue building as well I am a somewhat renowned builder of pool cues and sell them all over the world. A good side hustle.
I have a George Balabushka.

I have a George Balabushka.
A lot of people don't know George didn't fully build his own cues. He used blanks, which are the oversized mostly finished cue butt, made by Burton Spain. He would add his own touches and turn them down to finished size. Many early cue building legends used Spain's blanks. Burton was the true genius of the day.

A lot of people don't know George didn't fully build his own cues. He used blanks, which are the oversized mostly finished cue butt, made by Burton Spain. He would add his own touches and turn them down to finished size. Many early cue building legends used Spain's blanks. Burton was the true genius of the day.
One way to tell a hand made cue is by the unequal length of the points.

One way to tell a hand made cue is by the unequal length of the points.
The audience has gotten a lot tougher now days. Uneven points are considered hack work now days but weren't given a second look 50 years ago. Build them that way now and good luck selling your cue.

The audience has gotten a lot tougher now days. Uneven points are considered hack work now days but weren't given a second look 50 years ago. Build them that way now and good luck selling your cue.
So you prefer a CNC machine turned/milled cue to a conventional lathe hand turned one?

So you prefer a CNC machine turned/milled cue to a conventional lathe hand turned one?
You can make precise points and inlays with a milling machine, table saw and pantogram. Both very old technology available to Burton Spain but he chose to not use them or perhaps couldn't afford to. People just didn't care like they do now. I do use CNC for a lot of the basic tasks like turning a taper and small inlays. But you still have to build the thing, CNC isn't like a sophisticated robotic system. It's just one of many tools.

You can make precise points and inlays with a milling machine, table saw and pantogram. Both very old technology available to Burton Spain but he chose to not use them or perhaps couldn't afford to. People just didn't care like they do now. I do use CNC for a lot of the basic tasks like turning a taper and small inlays. But you still have to build the thing, CNC isn't like a sophisticated robotic system. It's just one of many tools.
I prefer the hand laid points and inlays. It's an art to build a well balanced cue by hand.
Meucci's (for example) are made in China. My Balabushka is a better cue overall than any mass produced cue, by far.

Reactions: Joe
I plan to live in this house for two years then sell it. I am not earning a living doing it but amassing a small fortune for my family's future.

I would still say no to this question. At some point this may change but for now I don't desire any more leisure time.

I ran my business very hands on for 25 plus years being the face of it to the public. One day I hit a wall and decided I didn't enjoy dealing with people any more and took steps to hire a manager. That was about 3 years ago so in that regard I have a lot more of what you're referring to as leisure time now. So I guess things have already worked out for me to have what the question asks. But worked out isn't really the right way to state it. I did it, it didn't just work out this way. I have a saying in pool, the more I practice the luckier I get.
Thank you.

I'm wondering how many people posting here in JPP want more work and less leisure time during what remains of their lifetimes.

So here are the two questions (One is just the converse of the other):

1) Without regard for any supposed need for money, do you wish that things work out so that you must do more work and have less leisure time during what remains of your lifetime?

2) Without regard for any supposed need for money, do you wish that things work out so that you have more leisure time and have to do less work during what remains of your lifetime?

If possible, I'd like you to answer #1 with a YES or NO; answer # 2 with a YES or NO...and add any comments you want to add after doing so.

Also if you truly do not care either way...just state that.

Thanks.
I think anyone who doesn't want more leisure time needs to see a doctor but I agree with Joe having nothing productive to do gets old real quick

I think anyone who doesn't want more leisure time needs to see a doctor but I agree with Joe having nothing productive to do gets old real quick
Yeah, having nothing productive to do does get old quickly. But having more leisure time does not, in any way, mean having nothing productive to do. One's house and car will always need cleaning; lawns need mowing and edging; bushes need pruning; hobbies need work devotion; charities need volunteers; children need adult supervision; towns need volunteers for tending to tidying streets and empty lots and tons upon tons more to anyone with a sense of purpose.

In any case, trying to do what I want to do here has shown me it probably cannot be done this way. I am working on a posting that will outline my personal thoughts with regard to "where I was going." I'll present it when it is in better order.

I was being naive to suppose I could get a general consensus on a question like, "Would you like more free time in your life or would you rather you have to work more?" I am beginning to doubt one could get a general consensus in an Internet forum on, "Is it correct to say that 2 + 2 = 4 in base ten?"

Yeah, having nothing productive to do does get old quickly. But having more leisure time does not, in any way, mean having nothing productive to do. One's house and car will always need cleaning; lawns need mowing and edging; bushes need pruning; hobbies need work devotion; charities need volunteers; children need adult supervision; towns need volunteers for tending to tidying streets and empty lots and tons upon tons more to anyone with a sense of purpose.

In any case, trying to do what I want to do here has shown me it probably cannot be done this way. I am working on a posting that will outline my personal thoughts with regard to "where I was going." I'll present it when it is in better order.

I was being naive to suppose I could get a general consensus on a question like, "Would you like more free time in your life or would you rather you have to work more?" I am beginning to doubt one could get a general consensus in an Internet forum on, "Is it correct to say that 2 + 2 = 4 in base ten?"
"The worst thing is too easy a life, not too hard a life"
The Greeks

Well my genuine response to your question at the end there would likely trigger an unproductive conversation. I wish we could talk openly about it but people get defensive and things seem to unravel from there

Well my genuine response to your question at the end there would likely trigger an unproductive conversation. I wish we could talk openly about it but people get defensive and things seem to unravel from there
Lay it on me, Yakuda. I'd be interested to hear it...although it might defeat the irony I was trying to express.

Do it in a private conversation if you want.

Lay it on me, Yakuda. I'd be interested to hear it...although it might defeat the irony I was trying to express.

Do it in a private conversation if you want.
Ok. I'll start with a simple question, which side of the political aisle has suggested that right and wrong is really a matter of personal opinion and not based on any objective truth?

If you prefer a private conversation make it happen.

I'm wondering how many people posting here in JPP want more work and less leisure time during what remains of their lifetimes.

So here are the two questions (One is just the converse of the other):

1) Without regard for any supposed need for money, do you wish that things work out so that you must do more work and have less leisure time during what remains of your lifetime?

2) Without regard for any supposed need for money, do you wish that things work out so that you have more leisure time and have to do less work during what remains of your lifetime?

If possible, I'd like you to answer #1 with a YES or NO; answer # 2 with a YES or NO...and add any comments you want to add after doing so.

Also if you truly do not care either way...just state that.

Thanks.
NO to the first question.
I was ready to retire at thirty if I'd been able.

As to the second question, I'd have to be dead in order to do less work than I do now.
so I honestly don't know how to answer.
Some days we old people are sick of living.
Some days we're not.

Wait. I do still cook and do food shopping.
If they had government sponsored "meals on wheels' from my favorite restaurants,
I'd be all in on that.

So I guess YES on the second question.

Back