Yo Beefy What's the Ticket on a Hottub?

For some it does. For most others though, it gets used a few times, then just becomes another appliance that requires maintenance.

When I lived in seattle we had a sick ass hottub and we were using it every night after dinner. I miss seattle :/ For some reason the hottub thing just isn't as popular out here.

My lady friend says I have to get a hot tub.....
as a fairly trained male I am sure I will get one in the spring. I wont have one in the house, the moisture will grow shrooms all over the place.

Before you buy one. Consult me. I'll give you the god's honest truth about the different brands. And do yourself a favor, don't get one with a lounge seat.

When I lived in seattle we had a sick ass hottub and we were using it every night after dinner. I miss seattle :/ For some reason the hottub thing just isn't as popular out here.

Seattle is still one of the strongest markets for spas even today. I'm probably going there for the home show next month. :(

lounge seat ? the little benches/shelves molded into the sides ?

yep I am ignerint about hot tubs.

A lounge seat is where you lie down and there's jets under your legs, as well as your back. They look really cool, but once you get into them, you WILL float out of it or be very uncomfortable trying to hold yourself down. It also takes up about 1/3 of the tub which means less seats. Even if you're the only one using it, more seats can work different parts of the body so you do want more seats.

If you end up looking, let me know. But for certain, absolutely, positively stay away from Cal Spas. They're the most fucked up company I've ever dealt with.

And also, for any big ticket purchase, check out:

http://www.ripoffreport.com

My lady friend says I have to get a hot tub.....
as a fairly trained male I am sure I will get one in the spring. I wont have one in the house, the moisture will grow shrooms all over the place.
Plus the chlorine stink. No you want it outside. You'll find that you enjoy it most in the cold weather. Mine's under my deck in a screened in area but there is nothing better than being in one when its about 10 degrees, no wind and snowing!

Bostonians in general are fat and ugly. It makes the experience unsettling. j/k

Plus the chlorine stink. No you want it outside. You'll find that you enjoy it most in the cold weather. Mine's under my deck in a screened in area but there is nothing better than being in one when its about 10 degrees, no wind and snowing!

Indeed. You have a Tiger River, that's a very good brand, but over priced.

Chlorine stink? I thought a different sanitizing agent was used in hot tubs.

You would want to use Nature2 and ozone with a minimal amount of bromine. The chlorine smell is more related to bad water chemistry than it is to sanitizing agents, but you can get away from it altogether.

Seattle is still one of the strongest markets for spas even today. I'm probably going there for the home show next month. :(

Hmm, come to think of it, there are always MAJOR displays and demos for hot tubs at the Evergreen State Fair in Monroe, WA. Is that just a typical part of fairs or is that related to the popularity of hot tubs/spas in the area?

Chlorine stink? I thought a different sanitizing agent was used in hot tubs.

You would want to use Nature2 and ozone with a minimal amount of bromine. The chlorine smell is more related to bad water chemistry than it is to sanitizing agents, but you can get away from it altogether.

Beefy may tell you otherwise but I use chlorine, as rec'd by the retailer. My set-up also has a silver cartridge and ionizer. Under normal use I use a Tbs of chlorine per week, which dissipates after a few hours, and the silver/ ionizer keeps the water clear all week. Tat way I can jump in any time and there is no chlorine odor at all.

I use an additional Tbs Cl after use. If I open the filter cover and find a film, or if the water is not clear, then I use 2 Tbs of chlorine plus a glug of liquid clarifier, or if I want to use it right away, then 1 Tbs Cl and one capful of chlorine free oxidizer.

I was pleasantly surprised just how easy it is to maintain and how little electricity it uses.

Yeah I know I spent too much. Not knowing much about them I went for the name and service. Costco has nice ones for a lot less.

Costco tubs are shitty. They look good, but they're nothing but plastic and a pump. Inefficient, weak.

Back