A brief history of Hell

Cypress

"Cypress you motherfucking whore!"
A brief history of hell

Hell is mentioned sparingly in the Bible, with many references being either ambiguous or mistranslations. Each era since has refashioned hell in its own image, for better and for worse.

Given its prominence in imagery and storytelling, it is surprising that hell doesn’t appear much in the Bible. In fact, most of its references to Satan’s scorching domain are the result of later translators mapping their views onto older, and quite distinct, concepts of the afterlife. This means hell as we understand it today is an afterlife the biblical writers had no real conception of.

In the Old Testament, Sheol is a far cry from hell. Rather than a realm designed to punish sinners, Sheol is a place where all souls congregate and exist in listless nothingness. There is no pain or suffering, but neither is there joy or celebration.

Even in the New Testament, references to hell are sparse. Jesus, Christianity’s central figure, and Saint Paul, its founding missionary, did preach about existential comeuppance. But in our earliest Christian writings — Paul’s epistles and the Gospels of Mark and Matthew — neither warned of a hellfire awaiting sinners.

The fate befalling those who turned their backs on God wouldn’t be an eternal sentence. They would simply be annihilated. Many of Jesus’ parables warn of this.

This appears to have been the teaching of both Paul and Jesus. But it was eventually changed by later Christians, who came to affirm not only eternal joy for the saints but eternal torment for the sinners, creating the irony that throughout the ages most Christians have believed in a hell that did not exist for either of the founders of Christianity,”

A brief history of hell

Hell is mentioned sparingly in the Bible, with many references being either ambiguous or mistranslations. Each era since has refashioned hell in its own image, for better and for worse.

Given its prominence in imagery and storytelling, it is surprising that hell doesn’t appear much in the Bible. In fact, most of its references to Satan’s scorching domain are the result of later translators mapping their views onto older, and quite distinct, concepts of the afterlife. This means hell as we understand it today is an afterlife the biblical writers had no real conception of.

In the Old Testament, Sheol is a far cry from hell. Rather than a realm designed to punish sinners, Sheol is a place where all souls congregate and exist in listless nothingness. There is no pain or suffering, but neither is there joy or celebration.

Even in the New Testament, references to hell are sparse. Jesus, Christianity’s central figure, and Saint Paul, its founding missionary, did preach about existential comeuppance. But in our earliest Christian writings — Paul’s epistles and the Gospels of Mark and Matthew — neither warned of a hellfire awaiting sinners.

The fate befalling those who turned their backs on God wouldn’t be an eternal sentence. They would simply be annihilated. Many of Jesus’ parables warn of this.

This appears to have been the teaching of both Paul and Jesus. But it was eventually changed by later Christians, who came to affirm not only eternal joy for the saints but eternal torment for the sinners, creating the irony that throughout the ages most Christians have believed in a hell that did not exist for either of the founders of Christianity,”

Hell is rather simple actually. Separation from God. The best biblical descriptions of hell, IMO are Matt 25: 31-46 and Luke 26:19-31. You remind me of Protestants that I've talked with who seem to think something has to be stated more than once in order for it be relevant. Sadly hell is all around us.

Last edited:
Hell is rather simple actually. Separation from God. The best biblical descriptions of hell, IMO are Matt 25: 31-46 and Luke 26:19-31. You remind me of Protestants that I've talked with who seem to think something has to be stated more than once in order for it be relevant. Sadly hell is all around us.

I think the holy roller fundamentalist conception of hell really comes from Dante's Inferno, more than from Jesus, Paul, or the Old Testament tradition.

A brief history of hell

Not an Biblical expert by a long shot, but a lot of US Protestant visions of Hell seem to come from Revelations, the Boogeyman Book of the Bible.

I think the holy roller fundamentalist conception of hell really comes from Dante's Inferno, more than from Jesus, Paul, or the Old Testament tradition.

Well you can read the two passages I provided and decide for yourself.

I agree with this, Yak; Goodness = Godliness. Since human beings have Free Will, they can choose to be with God or step away. Ergo, Hell isn't a sentence, it's a choice.

People who choose to push evil, to lie to others, to divide people against themselves and who seek to harm innocent people are not Godly, they are the opposite. They are choosing to step outside of God's grace and into the darkness. It's their choice.

A brief history of hell

The modern day Hell and Satan are both constructs of the Middle Ages.

A brief history of hell

The modern Christian (New Testament) view of Hell is completely different from the Jewish (Old Testament) view.

"Hell" isn't mentioned in the Old Testament because Jews didn't believe in an afterlife outside of Earth. Jews believe in a sort of dark/shady place called Sheol where you went after death, while waiting for God to return Earth to recreate his literal, physical "Kingdom".

Hell is a New Testament idea that was likely the creation of Pagan Greeks who converted to Christianity. Even New Testament writers/Christians can't really agree on what it means to go to Hell. Hell is generally described as a lake of fire where the naughty people are sent to be destroyed, not tortured for eternity. The Apocalypse of Peter, which didn't make the final cut for entry into the Bible, is the only writing that really gets into detail about hell and really pushes the eternal torture idea. Bad people are hung by their tongues, genitals, hair, etc over fire for eternity.

In general Jews believed:

- Believers don't go to Heaven - Heaven is where God lives.
- When you die, you go to a dark, shady place while waiting for God to return to earth. There was no hell or eternal torture.
- When God returns to Earth, it was to return the Earth to pre- "The Fall", aka pre-Adam and Eve eating the apple. When this happened, there will be no hunger, disease, pain, suffering, etc... but this was a literal Kingdom on Earth, not in Heaven.

In general, Christians believe:
- When you die, you either go to Heaven with God (This is the Christian version of the "Kingdom of God") or Hell for eternal torture, though some Christians do believe in Hell as generally described in the New Testament and by Jesus. That hell isn't where naughty people go to be tortured for eternity, but where they are destroyed in the eternal lake of fire.

Not an Biblical expert by a long shot, but a lot of US Protestant visions of Hell seem to come from Revelations, the Boogeyman Book of the Bible.

I am not expert on Revelations, other than it has been subject to a remarkable amount of interpretation by different theological traditions.

I am not expert on Revelations, other than it has been subject to a remarkable amount of interpretation by different theological traditions.
The Protestants I know make a big deal about it. Especially the Fire and Brimstone types. :)

The Protestants I know make a big deal about it. Especially the Fire and Brimstone types. :)

Yes, the rapture was an interpretation invented in 19th century fundamentalism, but has no basis in Christian theology prior to the 19th century.

The Orthodox church thinks the rapture tale is nonsense.

A brief history of hell

Interesting guesswork here, Cypress. Very interesting. Is it all your own...or is it guesswork based on the guesses of others?

Interesting guesswork here, Cypress. Very interesting. Is it all your own...or is it guesswork based on the guesses of others?

The article seems to be citing their source as Bart Ehrman, who is a graduate of the Princeton University Seminary school, and a professor of religious studies at University of North Carolina.

Actually, I agree with you Yakuda...sorta.

Given the description of Hell most modern Christians offer...the single most tormentuous aspect would be the eternal separation from the Beatific Vision...separation from god.

That part about hell being all around us, though, seems like a comment on how you feel about your life. Mine if just fine. I recognize and acknowledge that many people and animals appear to be "suffering" greatly, but I am unwilling to make guesses about why that is happening...or even if it is happening.

The article seems to be citing their source as Bart Ehrman, who is a graduate of the Princeton University Seminary school, and a professor of religious studies at University of North Carolina.

Oops, didn't note that blue part at the beginning...so I missed the citation.

Gotta wonder whether the guesswork was all his...or based on the guesswork of others who preceeded him.

Actually, I agree with you Yakuda...sorta.

Given the description of Hell most modern Christians offer...the single most tormentuous aspect would be the eternal separation from the Beatific Vision...separation from god.

That part about hell being all around us, though, seems like a comment on how you feel about your life. Mine if just fine. I recognize and acknowledge that many people and animals appear to be "suffering" greatly, but I am unwilling to make guesses about why that is happening...or even if it is happening.

You finally are smartening up huh Frankie?

You don't know the first thing about my life Frankie but like a good little leftist stooge you make claims based on what little is in your head. To those with eyes the separation from God is everywhere. The reason you disagree is because you know the shit you peddle will only lead you to even further separation from God but what others think of you matters more to you than what God thinks of you. I mean I'll pray for you but only God is going to be able you Francis.

I think you can get to hell by going to platform 9 3/4s. Or is that Hogwarts? I get my completely made up places confused so time.

Yes, the rapture was an interpretation invented in 19th century fundamentalism, but has no basis in Christian theology prior to the 19th century.

The Orthodox church thinks the rapture tale is nonsense.

My knowledge of the Russian/Greek Orthodox Churches is very limited but my understanding is that they are closely aligned with Catholicism, not Protestantism. I've read that there are up to 2000 denominations of Protestants.

Back