A brief history of Hell

The Protestants I know make a big deal about it. Especially the Fire and Brimstone types. :)

That Book was never a thing in the Lutheran church I was raised in, nor in the other mainstream Christian churches back then. I did find it fascinating though as a kid. My mom was a Sunday school teacher but also big into prophesy, precognition, ESP, and other things of the spiritual world. (She had Jeanne Dixon and Cayce books along with others.) So of course I read all those and thought that Revelation was part and parcel of that stuff. It was really cool to me as a teenager even though I recognized at the time that such forms of prophecy were, um, well, not too believable to put it kindly.

In general teachings and belief in that Book are not a part of mainstream Protestant theology nor of Catholicism. It's huge in fundie Xtian circles though.

That Book was never a thing in the Lutheran church I was raised in, nor in the other mainstream Christian churches back then. I did find it fascinating though as a kid. My mom was a Sunday school teacher but also big into prophesy, precognition, ESP, and other things of the spiritual world. (She had Jeanne Dixon and Cayce books along with others.) So of course I read all those and thought that Revelation was part and parcel of that stuff. It was really cool to me as a teenager even though I recognized at the time that such forms of prophecy were, um, well, not too believable to put it kindly.

In general teachings and belief in that Book are not a part of mainstream Protestant theology nor of Catholicism. It's huge in fundie Xtian circles though.

"That Book" meaning the Bible? What did they use as reference sources for wisdom? Cultural touchstones? Anchors of the religion?

Let's be honest, thinking things were magical was pretty common even into the 60s. Not much of a magic fan, but I was certainly big into UFOs and ancient astronauts. LOL

The little American age of pro-science from the mid-1940s until the 90s was great and paid off greatly. Since then, it seems we've been taking the obligatory step back in the maxim "Progress is measured in two steps forward and one step back".

My mom was a HS dropout. I watched her studying at the dining table for her GED when I was in Third Grade, Fort Carson, CO. I was the first on patriarchal side to have a college degree and #2 on the matriarchal. The American Dream paid off for my parents, my siblings and me. All 3 kids had college degrees. All progressed towards the top of the Middle Class. The American Dream. Nowadays too many young people don't believe that's possible. IMO, they're probably correct due to the huge income disparity of most Americans and American wealthy.

BTW,
84i10h.jpg

If I believed in an afterlife,

I would still be troubled by how ANYBODY could earn ETERNAL DAMNATION

over the course of a finite lifetime.

That wouldn't be just. Eternity is never ending, with or without an afterlife.

I don't think it's for me to say what's just once Adolph left this mortal coil.

I just said eternal damnation for Hitler is not something that would bother me.

"That Book" meaning the Bible? What did they use as reference sources for wisdom? Cultural touchstones? Anchors of the religion?

"That book" = the book of Revelation. It wasn't featured in Sunday sermons or in catechism/confirmation class or in Sunday School. Otherwise my experience growing up as a Lutheran is we had to read the Bible, both at home and in Sunday school, and memorize lots and lots of it.

The little American age of pro-science from the mid-1940s until the 90s was great and paid off greatly. Since then, it seems we've been taking the obligatory step back in the maxim "Progress is measured in two steps forward and one step back".

That was when even Republicans realized that if we didn't bolster public education, fund R&D at universities and labs, and focus on science the Russkies would kick our asses. Now though? Meh, science =bullshit, if you are a MAGAT.

Zombie Trump! Looks so realistic! Happy Halloween, Doc.

"That book" = the book of Revelation. It wasn't featured in Sunday sermons or in catechism/confirmation class or in Sunday School. Otherwise my experience growing up as a Lutheran is we had to read the Bible, both at home and in Sunday school, and memorize lots and lots of it.

That was when even Republicans realized that if we didn't bolster public education, fund R&D at universities and labs, and focus on science the Russkies would kick our asses. Now though? Meh, science =bullshit, if you are a MAGAT.

Zombie Trump! Looks so realistic! Happy Halloween, Doc.
Mine was a small, middle-road Protestant church. It wasn't discussed much either in sermons or Sunday school. I don't know if the adults had it in their discussions.

Exactly. Now that the Soviets collapsed, they thought they could go anti-science, but that isn't working for the US very well.

Thanks!

Mine was a small, middle-road Protestant church. It wasn't discussed much either in sermons or Sunday school. I don't know if the adults had it in their discussions.

Exactly. Now that the Soviets collapsed, they thought they could go anti-science, but that isn't working for the US very well.

Thanks!

I never heard of The Rapture, either, till I was an adult and briefly (just a couple of years) attended a fundie church. It's a big deal in FundieWorld.

Funny how things change direction. In the 50s and 60s it was conservatives who were supporters of science, science education, funding science R&D, etc. The lefties also supported education, but were distrustful of science. Remember the anti-war protests focusing on Dow Chemical and even Monsanto? To them, science was bordering on evil, what with creating newer bigger nuclear weapons, napalm, etc.

How different things are now, eh?

I never heard of The Rapture, either, till I was an adult and briefly (just a couple of years) attended a fundie church. It's a big deal in FundieWorld.

Funny how things change direction. In the 50s and 60s it was conservatives who were supporters of science, science education, funding science R&D, etc. The lefties also supported education, but were distrustful of science. Remember the anti-war protests focusing on Dow Chemical and even Monsanto? To them, science was bordering on evil, what with creating newer bigger nuclear weapons, napalm, etc.

Also agreed on the Rapture. It's a Baptist/Evangelical thing.

Times change and it's fun to watch those changes.

I don't remember hearing about the rapture either, or the adults talking about it.

I don't remember hearing about the rapture either, or the adults talking about it.

I'd heard about it, just like many other things in the Bible. It didn't hit the mainstream until the late 80s and the 90s with the rise of the Christian Right led by the Evangelicals and Baptists under Jerry Falwell.

I'd heard about it, just like many other things in the Bible. It didn't hit the mainstream until the late 80s and the 90s with the rise of the Christian Right led by the Evangelicals and Baptists under Jerry Falwell.

That one preacher got rich writing pulp fiction novels about the rapture.

And some JPP posters got famous dabbling in rapture prediction! :laugh:

That one preacher got rich writing pulp fiction novels about the rapture.

And some JPP posters got famous dabbling in rapture prediction! :laugh:

That rapture thing always cracked me up. What I've noticed about those who believe it is they all think they will be "taken up" in the rapture.

That rapture thing always cracked me up. What I've noticed about those who believe it is they all think they will be "taken up" in the rapture.

I have a problem with God whisking an airline pilot out of the cockpit, and leaving the passengers to plummet to their deaths!

I have a problem with God whisking an airline pilot out of the cockpit, and leaving the passengers to plummet to their deaths!

I dont think God is too worried about what you have a problem with. The rapture is a gross perversion of Scripture.

As far as I know they don't consider the Bible the sole religious authority the way Protestants do, they don't read the Bible as literally, and they have most of the same sacraments.

we believe there are there are other religious documents with authority........for other religions.......

I like your brain

The only people willing to spend eight years in school learning Greek, Latin, Hebrew and the craft of biblical exeget are biblical scholars.

why would Latin be necessary?.....there are no original texts in Latin.....working from a Latin translation is what screwed up the King James version.....

Back