A brief history of Hell

It doesn't make sense. That's probably why the Catholic Church came up with the concept of Limbo, where the virtuous pagans and unbaptized babies go.

I personally am not too bothered in principle by the concept of Hitler and Stalin paying their dues in an afterlife

Limbo is not a Catholic thing.

God is all merciful, so I agree it wouldn't happen.

I was just kidding about airline pilots, and even the religion of my parents thought the rapture was nonsense. The rapture prediction industry was always a grift!

Thanks

I studied hell a great deal because it was the hardest concept for me to reason.

The idea of a loving God torturing sinful humans for eternity didn’t line up.

God doesn't torture anyone. Satan does. He leads people to believe killing babies is a good thing.

Limbo was probably the most interesting place in Dante, because there you could meet the Roman poets, the Greek philosophers, the virtuous Islamic scholars, the Homeric-age heroes.

It's purgatory not limbo. Not the same thing

Irrelevant. Limbo isnt a thing in the Catholic church. It never has been.

In the post you reasoned to I was clearly talking about Dante.

Limbo was a Medieval belief, but I don't think it ever became official doctrine.

In the post you reasoned to I was clearly talking about Dante.

Limbo was a Medieval belief, but I don't think it ever became official doctrine.

It was never a doctrine of the Catholic church. As Fulton Sheen said, "There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be."

He is, news to me, I’ve seen some pretty awful things happen to good people. I don’t buy the idea of a merciful god.

It depends upon one's point of view. The promise is eternal life. If true, then what happens in this life is inconsequential as long as the promise is true.

Grade school kids think school is torture. They'd rather be playing outside, but "evil people" force them into classes to sit all day then load them down with homework. Are the "evil people" really evil or are they looking out for the best interests of children to prepare them for adult life? I think the latter. We've all been given the gift of life. We don't always have a choice in what things happen to us, but we do have limited choices. We also have complete choice in our attitude.

God did not cause the 2004 tsunami that wiped out over 225,000 human beings along with a lot of critters. The earthquake and resulting tsunami were foreseeable events in a known earthquake zone. I fail to see why anyone would think God is not merciful for failing to stop the free will of human beings.

It depends upon one's point of view. The promise is eternal life. If true, then what happens in this life is inconsequential as long as the promise is true.

Grade school kids think school is torture. They'd rather be playing outside, but "evil people" force them into classes to sit all day then load them down with homework. Are the "evil people" really evil or are they looking out for the best interests of children to prepare them for adult life? I think the latter. We've all been given the gift of life. We don't always have a choice in what things happen to us, but we do have limited choices. We also have complete choice in our attitude.

God did not cause the 2004 tsunami that wiped out over 225,000 human beings along with a lot of critters. The earthquake and resulting tsunami were foreseeable events in a known earthquake zone. I fail to see why anyone would think God is not merciful for failing to stop the free will of human beings.
You’ve obviously never read the Old Testament. Yahweh was a vengeful god. Yahweh also allowed his only son to be tortured and killed as a plan of salvation for humans.

I was just kidding about airline pilots, and even the religion of my parents thought the rapture was nonsense. The rapture prediction industry was always a grift!

Some people actually believe that's what would happen. I doubt it. If Jesus returned, the Republicans would lynch him.

You’ve obviously never read the Old Testament. Yahweh was a vengeful god.

Yahweh also allowed his only son to be tortured and killed as a plan of salvation for humans.
The difference between the Old and New Testaments is as different as night and day. To what do you attribute the difference?

His son went to eternal life and even returned for a bit according to the NT.

You’ve obviously never read the Old Testament. Yahweh was a vengeful god. Yahweh also allowed his only son to be tortured and killed as a plan of salvation for humans.

Yeah and I thought my father was vengeful when he held me responsible for the stupid decisions I made while growing up. This is why people hate God, he allows you complete and total freedom but every choice of freedom has a consequence. People like you want freedom but no consequence. Every choice you make has a consequence but selfish people only think about the consequences for themselves and they don't give a shit about how their choices might affect others. Real love is thinking about others not yourself. That's why you will never understand God. Selfishness.

Back