A Theology Question

And what is meant by "non-physical" in this case?

Can you give me examples of something non-physical that we know anything about that was not understood by scientific type inquiry?

Most of the world and our lives have nothing to do with physicality. You're as dogmatic as Cypress.

Typing. Eating. Walking. Washing. Thinking. Combing your hair. Listening to music. Reading. Putting on clothes.

Typing? That's a purely physical action. You use muscles and joints and fingers.

Eating? Same.

Walking? Same
Washing? Same

ALL of your examples are purely physical features. MAYBE "thinking" but that HAS to have a physical brain to do (unless you think thoughts just exist in the aether and you walk into them and they enter your mind, but otherwise it's purely physical.). One can easily CHANGE thoughts by adding certain CHEMICALS. That's a pretty strong indicator of physicality.

Typing? That's a purely physical action. You use muscles and joints and fingers.

Eating? Same.

Walking? Same
Washing? Same

ALL of your examples are purely physical features. MAYBE "thinking" but that HAS to have a physical brain to do (unless you think thoughts just exist in the aether and you walk into them and they enter your mind, but otherwise it's purely physical.). One can easily CHANGE thoughts by adding certain CHEMICALS. That's a pretty strong indicator of physicality.

How do you know what to type?

You have the ability to think without the use of your physical brain? That's utterly amazing. Seriously. How do you know this?
Maybe she’s talking about Magic. You know, like those who draw numerology graphs of outside the Universe?

You do not read very well.

Then explain it to me. Because I don't think you are doing anything that isn't grounded in the physical.

You type...that's a physical action. The content of the information you type out is from a physical brain. The physical brain has physical states (as can be measured by an fMRI) which correlate to what you are doing with the keyboard.

I still don't see anything non-physical here.

Then explain it to me. Because I don't think you are doing anything that isn't grounded in the physical.

You type...that's a physical action. The content of the information you type out is from a physical brain. The physical brain has physical states (as can be measured by an fMRI) which correlate to what you are doing with the keyboard.

I still don't see anything non-physical here.

So, if you call someone on the phone, you say your brain told you to call. Not, I wanted to talk to you, but my brain wanted to talk to you.

So, if you call someone on the phone, you say your brain told you to call. Not, I wanted to talk to you, but my brain wanted to talk to you.

Ahhh, now you are talking "intent". I will admit this is an interesting topic. I seem to recall an article years ago in which they found that the parts of the brain that house "intention" light up before an action.

Note how we use science to understand these things.

The point being that without a physical brain there is NO intention. Unless you believe you are an ineffible, invisible being of pure light energy who just HAPPENS to exist in a physical frame.

I'm not pretending to explain every thing and I am more than willing to say "I don't know" on some things like intention. But, again, I am stuck with the reality that without a physical brain there is no intention. There is no thought. There is no content of anything mental.

And it doesn't really change my belief that we can understand even the concept of "intention" through the use of physical means. Mainly because there is no other way to understand what our brains --physical objects-- are doing.

Ahhh, now you are talking "intent". I will admit this is an interesting topic. I seem to recall an article years ago in which they found that the parts of the brain that house "intention" light up before an action.

Note how we use science to understand these things.

The point being that without a physical brain there is NO intention. Unless you believe you are an ineffible, invisible being of pure light energy who just HAPPENS to exist in a physical frame.

I'm not pretending to explain every thing and I am more than willing to say "I don't know" on some things like intention. But, again, I am stuck with the reality that without a physical brain there is no intention. There is no thought. There is no content of anything mental.

And it doesn't really change my belief that we can understand even the concept of "intention" through the use of physical means. Mainly because there is no other way to understand what our brains --physical objects-- are doing.

Physicalism is a metaphysic. Many physicalists do not like this. But any total system that explains things is metaphysics.
Physicalists cannot prove everything is physical.

Back