A view point.

You are right, but from what I understand, I believe it is only towards the end of the first century, in the Gospel of John is there such an indication that Jesus suggest that he was God.

In none of the earlier Gospels, or in the writings of Paul is there any indication that Jesus called himself God.

In the earliest Gospel, Mark, speaks of Jesus as human who is the son of God, which in Hebrew tradition is supposed to refer individuals who arbitrate God's will on Earth, but are not themselves divine beings.

One has to accept that the latest Gospel written by John is authoritative, and one has to suspend any scholarly examinations as to why the earlier Gospels do not explicitly state that Jesus is God or called himself God.

I have zero problem with anyone who wants to interpret and believe that the Gospels are a testament that Jesus is God. That is a matter of faith. But I think the New Testament is open to scholarly inquiry and investigation.

I never read the Bible till years after a epiphany of the Holy Spirit,who taught me the Bible,specializing in Passover and how it relates to Jesus the Passover Lamb,and Michael the Archangel the Passover Angel.

You are right, but from what I understand, I believe it is only towards the end of the first century, in the Gospel of John is there such an indication that Jesus suggest that he was God.

In none of the earlier Gospels, or in the writings of Paul is there any indication that Jesus called himself God.

In the earliest Gospel, Mark, speaks of Jesus as human who is the son of God, which in Hebrew tradition is supposed to refer individuals who arbitrate God's will on Earth, but are not themselves divine beings.

One has to accept that the latest Gospel written by John is authoritative, and one has to suspend any scholarly examinations as to why the earlier Gospels do not explicitly state that Jesus is God or called himself God.

I have zero problem with anyone who wants to interpret and believe that the Gospels are a testament that Jesus is God. That is a matter of faith. But I think the New Testament is open to scholarly inquiry and investigation.

It's right in John! "When you've seen the Son,you've seen the Father"
Jesus didn't leave space for interpretation!
As Thomas Aquinas said.
"Jesus was either Liar,Lunatic,or LORD"

Originally Posted by Taichiliberal
there were a LOT of "prophets" in those times claiming all sorts of things.....Jesus can thank Roman record keeping for his place in history. Note that AROUND THE WORLD there existed cultures and societies with their own deities, prophets, etc. WHO NEVER HEARD OF THE JEWS OR JESUS. They were no better or worse than any other people on the planet. Mind you, if it weren't for theocracy and colonialism....Christianity would have either been regulated to religious obscurity or have just been another quaint regional faith (IMHO, of course). I've got no particular axe to grind with Christians, as most of the New Testament has some pretty great ideas....I just don't ignore all the inconsistency and contradictions.

You every have a epiphany of the Holy Spirit?

I notice how you ignore all my other points.

You ever reach the state of enlightenment via meditation and contemplation? Everyone's got their own way of getting straight....whether is just common sense or a touch with a divine entity is to determined by the honest observer.

I notice how you ignore all my other points.

You ever reach the state of enlightenment via meditation and contemplation? Everyone's got their own way of getting straight....whether is just common sense or a touch with a divine entity is to determined by the honest observer.

Sounds like you've enjoyed LSD.

Back