America committed the worst terrorist acts in world history

And I say this as someone who loves America.

But I don't love parts of our history.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki are a shameful chapter in our history. No one should ever try to justify these horrific acts by arguing how many might have died in a land war, or using other justifications.

Civilians are never to be targeted in war. Never. Never. Never.

You're not supposed to complain, BE.
We didn't drop nukes on white Germans, did we?

You're not supposed to complain, BE.
We didn't drop nukes on white Germans, did we?

We were planning to do so. They lost before the bomb was ready for usage. Germany surrendered 8MAY45, the Trinity bomb test wasn't until 16JUL45.

If we'd nuked an industrial city in Germany, it would have sent the same message to Japan: don't fuck with us or we'll do the same to each of your cities.

Both the U. S. and Britain dropped many tons more of bombs on Germany than they did Japan.
Germany and Japan started the war. It was up to the Allies to end it as quickly as possible.

2uzp7v.gif

Both the U. S. and Britain dropped many tons more of bombs on Germany than they did Japan.

True. Was just talking about nukes, and even then, not in a particularly serious manner.

So far, we are the only nation in the world to use nuclear weapons in war.

Agreed, so it had nothing to do with race.

Agreed. It's revisionist history to claim it was. The US had almost a million casualties in less than four years of war. It would be remiss of any American President to not use every tool available to end the war as quickly as possible.

That shows the MAD strategy has worked.

Agreed. It's also evidence on why the conspiracy theorist nutjobs are wrong: the Russians knew the details of our biggest secret within a few years. It's impossible for a military or state to keep secrets for long. Too many witnesses. LOL

https://www.history.com/news/atomic-bomb-soviet-spies
8 Spies Who Leaked Atomic Bomb Intelligence to the Soviets
These eight men and women (among others) shared atomic secrets that enabled the Soviet Union to successfully detonate its first nuclear weapon by 1949.
Even while joining forces with the United States and Britain against Nazi Germany during World War II, the Soviet Union launched a massive effort to collect intelligence on the secret Anglo-American atomic bomb program that would become the Manhattan Project.

As part of Operation Enormoz (“enormous”), Soviet agents recruited American and British spies who were committed communists, including several scientists at the Los Alamos laboratory. The extent of Soviet nuclear espionage was unknown until after the war when the United States and Britain succeeded in deciphering the code used in Soviet telegraphs. Because the decryption project, known as Venona, remained classified until 1995, evidence from it couldn’t be used in court, allowing many suspected spies to escape prosecution.

We were planning to do so. They lost before the bomb was ready for usage. Germany surrendered 8MAY45, the Trinity bomb test wasn't until 16JUL45.

If we'd nuked an industrial city in Germany, it would have sent the same message to Japan: don't fuck with us or we'll do the same to each of your cities.

The Trinity test was to ensure the design of the plutonium bomb worked. We already had a 'donut and plunger' type uranium bomb ready to go. As per the USSBS analysis, the reason we decided not to drop one on Germany had more to do with two primary reasons:

1. Germany was about to lose and that was obvious.
2. There were no pristine cities in Germany were we could observe and accurately determine the effects of an atomic weapon.

With Japan, certain cities, Hiroshima and Nagasaki among them, had been put off limits for bombing as atomic bomb only targets so we could get accurate data on the bomb's effects.

As a side note, three airbases in the UK were actually converted and upgraded to handle B-29's and nuclear weapons. They had loading pits installed and stronger, longer runways and taxiways to meet the requirements for flying B-29's from them. Postwar, these became bases for the RAF's Washington I bombers (B-29's... That was the RAF designation) and were used as part of Project Ruby testing ultra heavy munitions and penetrators like the Tallboy, Grand Slam, and Disney bomb.

And I say this as someone who loves America.

But I don't love parts of our history.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki are a shameful chapter in our history. No one should ever try to justify these horrific acts by arguing how many might have died in a land war, or using other justifications.

Civilians are never to be targeted in war. Never. Never. Never.

I guess you wish to forget that the Pearl Harbor raid ever happened.

Civilians are targeted in war all the time. Get used to it.

The use of the Bomb was due to wartime, and a desire to end it quickly. It worked. After Nagaski, the war ended the only way it could've ended...unconditional surrender by the Japanese.

The Japanese killed and tortured a lot of civilians in Indonesia, China, Hawaii, etc.

In the coming civil war, it will be civilians fighting it.

Well, except for the whole vaporizing cities thing.

You know how we would feel about any other country that did that.

You would rather burn American cities causing firestorms. YOU support DEMOCRATS that fund and support criminals committing arson and looting and pillaging American cities.

Fuck you.

I think the vast majority would agree w/ your POV on that. I just really struggle w/ the fact that we're the only nation that has used nukes against civilians.

The HQ at Hiroshima (the target) is not civilians. It also was a center of manufacturing for war material.
Nagasaki is an important sea port, and was manufacturing a lot of war material for the Japanese navy.

More people were killed in firebombings of Tokyo than at Hiroshima. Hint to Japan and Germany: Don't start fucking wars.

FWIW, I disagree that America is the worst terrorist in history. American families lost 405,399 dead and 670,846 wounded in less than four years of war. By comparison, Americans lost 1,833 dead in 10 years of war in Afghanistan and 4,424 dead in 8 years of Iraq. America's WWII casualties average about 800 per day. This doesn't count all the casualties on the other side and among allies. Any leader would be irresponsible to let the war continue one additional day when there was a tool to end the war.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_military_casualties_of_war

Don't forget that nearly 750,000 Americans were killed in industrial accidents and nearly 3 million seriously injured making all the shit we needed to fight that war...

s-l1600.jpg

Don't forget that nearly 750,000 Americans were killed in industrial accidents and nearly 3 million seriously injured making all the shit we needed to fight that war...

s-l1600.jpg
They also died for the industrial powerhouse that the US became after the war.

I guess OSHA much help in those days. LOL

Back