An Understandable Oversight - McCain Forgets to Pay his Taxes

Cypress

To be fair, I can understand this oversight. If I owned 118 houses, had a beer fortune to manage, and was coping with early Alzheimers I might forget to pay property taxes on one of my houses.

McCains Defaulted On Home Taxes For Last Four Years, Newsweek Reports

Newsweek is set to publish a highly embarrassing report on Sen. John McCain, revealing that the McCains have failed to pay taxes on their beach-front condo in La Jolla, California, for the last four years and are currently in default, The Huffington Post has learned.

Under California law, once a residential property is in default for five years, it can be sold at a tax sale to recover the unpaid taxes for the taxpayers.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/06/28/mccains-failed-to-pay-tax_n_109785.html

"County records show the bills, which were mailed to a Phoenix address associated with Mrs. McCain's trust, were returned by the post office. According to a McCain campaign aide, who requested anonymity when discussing a private matter, an elderly aunt of Mrs. McCain's lives in the condo, and the bank that manages the trust has not been receiving tax bills on the property. Shortly after NEWSWEEK inquired about the matter, the McCain aide e-mailed a receipt dated Friday, June 27, confirming payment by the trust to San Diego County in the amount of $6,744.42. County officials say the trust still owes an additional $1,742 for this year, an amount that is overdue and will go into default July 1. Told of the outstanding $1,742, the aide said: "The trust has paid all bills shown owing as of today and will pay all other bills due."

"County records show the bills, which were mailed to a Phoenix address associated with Mrs. McCain's trust, were returned by the post office. According to a McCain campaign aide, who requested anonymity when discussing a private matter, an elderly aunt of Mrs. McCain's lives in the condo, and the bank that manages the trust has not been receiving tax bills on the property. Shortly after NEWSWEEK inquired about the matter, the McCain aide e-mailed a receipt dated Friday, June 27, confirming payment by the trust to San Diego County in the amount of $6,744.42. County officials say the trust still owes an additional $1,742 for this year, an amount that is overdue and will go into default July 1. Told of the outstanding $1,742, the aide said: "The trust has paid all bills shown owing as of today and will pay all other bills due."
Gasp... Do you mean somebody exaggerated something?

The guy owns seven homes. So I think it is an understandable oversight.

And I think that’s what Democrats should repeat…a lot.

Funny you give McCandy a pass on failing to pay taxes, because the reminder notice was lost in the mail, but belive I should have been criminally prosecuted for not thinking to change my DL after eye surgery...

Funny you give McCandy a pass on failing to pay taxes, because the reminder notice was lost in the mail, but belive I should have been criminally prosecuted for not thinking to change my DL after eye surgery...

Again, like the typical whiner that you are, you miss the point. I do not give him a pass. I expect him to pay the taxes, as he did.

But the fact is, the BANK was hired to run the trust that owned this property. The property taxes should have been paid by the bank. The fact that the property tax notices were returned by the post office means there was an error by either the bank or the post office. Not by McCain.

An audit by the bank of the trust SHOULD have caught the fact that property taxes had not been paid. But to act as though McCain is somehow to blame for not paying taxes is idiotic. That is what the Bank was hired to do. Manage the trust and pay its bills. It is done so that McCain DOESN'T have to pay attention to those details.

Bottom line though, it is still the McCains responsibility to pay the taxes. When notified that their bank failed, they took care of it.

Oh absolutely, and that’s another thing that I think should be brought out.

You can’t expect someone who owns seven homes to pay the bills themselves. Naturally, they have servants who take care of that.

Oh absolutely, and that’s another thing that I think should be brought out.

You can’t expect someone who owns seven homes to pay the bills themselves. Naturally, they have servants who take care of that.

Little note for you.... every Presidential Candidate has blind trusts established... as do the majority of Senators and Representatives. That way they can have their assets managed and not be constrained by potential access to insider information and/or influence by lobbyists.

Little note for you.... every Presidential Candidate has blind trusts established... as do the majority of Senators and Representatives. That way they can have their assets managed and not be constrained by potential access to insider information and/or influence by lobbyists.

That has what to do with owning seven homes and hiring people to pay the bills on them? Oh that's right, nothing. How many homes does Obama, “the elitist” own?
Oh that’s right, one.

You better stick to the Milton, one-note, you know what suckers, because you can take them, but you are getting in over your head when you want to start something with me.

Ok Water, they are addicted to Milton Freidman’s dick. If I must be plain about it!

I used to suck Freidman's dick daily, until I realized what a moron he was. Most economists tend to specialize in things they're terrible at, and Friedman was generally very good at stuff that had nothing to do with neo-liberalism, like what he won the nobel prize on.

"Gouger's should be given a medal!" - Milton Friedman about gouging after Katrina

I used to suck Freidman's dick daily, until I realized what a moron he was. Most economists tend to specialize in things they're terrible at, and Friedman was generally very good at stuff that had nothing to do with neo-liberalism, like what he won the nobel prize on.

"Gouger's should be given a medal!" - Milton Friedman about gouging after Katrina

Care to explain the limitations Friedman's economic theory?

They exist, but I doubt you know them.

Yeah, I really don’t like the man, as you might have figured. And his little acolytes are so annoying. One-note wonders. And never have people been so impressed with themselves for so little reason.

That has what to do with owning seven homes and hiring people to pay the bills on them? Oh that's right, nothing. How many homes does Obama, “the elitist” own?
Oh that’s right, one.

You better stick to the Milton, one-note, you know what suckers, because you can take them, but you are getting in over your head when you want to start something with me.

Well, I don’t have all day SF, where are you hiding? I bet you got a look at the smartest JPP poster poll, and got scared huh? I can’t help noticing that I got three votes, and you got, how many? Oh that’s right, zero votes for Superfreak. And, I can honestly swear to God that I did not vote for myself.

Back