Another View

Cancel7

Banned
Interesting take. I think that the debate about what the Founders meant by the Second amendment, is open to very vigorous debate. The loud mouthed gun people have tried to shut it down, and have pretty much succeeded. I’ve long thought that if you went to the American people with this, you could make a supportable case for this. Certainly, the loudmouths screeching “THE SECOND AMENDMENT’ over and over, have a very debatable position, though they are too busy screeching “THE SECOND AMENDMENT” to realize it.

Repeal the 2nd Amendment

No, we don’t suppose that’s going to happen any time soon. But it should.

The 2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution is evidence that, while the founding fathers were brilliant men, they could have used an editor.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

If the founders had limited themselves to the final 14 words, the amendment would have been an unambiguous declaration of the right to possess firearms. But they didn’t and it isn’t. The amendment was intended to protect the authority of the states to organize militias. The inartful wording has left the amendment open to public debate for more than 200 years. But in its last major decision on gun rights, in 1939, the U.S. Supreme Court unanimously found that that was the correct interpretation.

On Tuesday, five members of the court edited the 2nd Amendment. In essence, they said: Scratch the preamble, only 14 words count. (Click here to read the full decision)

In doing so, they have curtailed the power of the legislatures and the city councils to protect their citizens.

The majority opinion in the 5-4 decision to overturn a Washington, D.C., ban on handgun possession goes to great lengths to parse the words of the 2nd Amendment. The opinion, written by Justice Antonin Scalia, spends 11 1/2 pages just on the meaning of the words "keep and bear arms."
But as Justice John Paul Stevens wrote in a compelling dissent, the five justices in the majority found no new evidence that the 2nd Amendment was intended to limit the power of government to regulate the use of firearms. They found no new evidence to overturn decades of court precedent.
They have claimed, Stevens wrote, "a far more active judicial role in making vitally important national policy decisions than was envisioned at any time in the 18th, 19th, or 20th centuries."

It’s a relief that the majority didn’t go further in its policy-making on gun control.

The majority opinion states that the D.C. handgun ban and a requirement for trigger locks violate the 2nd Amendment. By virtue of this decision, Chicago’s 1982 ban on handguns is not likely to survive a court challenge. A lawsuit seeking to overturn the Chicago ordinance was filed on Thursday by the Illinois State Rifle Association.

The majority, though, did state that the right under the 2nd Amendment "is not unlimited." So what does that mean? The majority left room for state and local governments to restrict the carrying of concealed weapons in public, to prohibit weapons in "sensitive places such as schools and government buildings," and to regulate the sale of firearms. The majority allowed room for the prohibition of "dangerous and unusual weapons." It did not stipulate what weapons are not "dangerous."

Lower courts are going to be mighty busy figuring out all of this.

We can argue about the effectiveness of municipal handgun bans such as those in Washington and Chicago. They have, at best, had limited impact. People don’t have to go far beyond the city borders to buy a weapon that’s prohibited within the city. (Click here for gun-related crime statistics)
But neither are these laws overly restrictive. Citizens have had the right to protect themselves in their homes with other weapons, such as shotguns.
Some view this court decision as an affirmation of individual rights. But the damage in this ruling is that it takes a significant public policy issue out of the hands of citizens. The people of Washington no longer have the authority to decide that, as a matter of public safety, they will prohibit handgun possession within their borders.

Chicago and the nation saw a decline in gun violence over the last decade or so, but recent news has been ominous. The murder rate in Chicago has risen 13 percent this year. Guns are still the weapon of choice for mayhem in the U.S. About 68 percent of all murders in 2006 were committed with a firearms, according to the U.S. Department of Justice.

Repeal the 2nd Amendment? Yes, it’s an anachronism.

We won’t repeal the amendment, but at least we can have that debate.
Want to debate whether crime-staggered cities should prohibit the possession of handguns? The Supreme Court has just said, forget about it.

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/vox_pop/2008/06/repeal-the-2nd.html

Zzzzzz

More whining from the anti-Constitution crowd.

Accept the decision.

The whole point is that your crowd is ignoring the first part of the second amendment:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

If the founders had limited themselves to the final 14 words, the amendment would have been an unambiguous declaration of the right to possess firearms. But they didn’t and it isn’t. The amendment was intended to protect the authority of the states to organize militias. The inartful wording has left the amendment open to public debate for more than 200 years. But in its last major decision on gun rights, in 1939, the U.S. Supreme Court unanimously found that that was the correct interpretation.

On Tuesday, five members of the court edited the 2nd Amendment. In essence, they said: Scratch the preamble, only 14 words count. (Click here to read the full decision)

Gun control advocates were set back 50 years yesterday. Great news to help with the pain in the markets.

Gun control advocates were set back 50 years yesterday. Great news to help with the pain in the markets.

So you believe in no gun control? So someone on the terrorist watch list should be able to buy a gun? Someone convicted of stalking should be able to buy a gun? A two-time murderer should be able to buy a gun?

So you believe in no gun control? So someone on the terrorist watch list should be able to buy a gun? Someone convicted of stalking should be able to buy a gun? A two-time murderer should be able to buy a gun?

those were dealt with in the majority position.

The whole point is that your crowd is ignoring the first part of the second amendment:

As I see it, they did not scratch the rest of it. They said the rest of it doesn't put qualifications on those 14 words.

I do agree that the debate should go on. It should continue to be talked out. Shouting "consensus" or "the debate is over" on something that is indeed vague or based on assumptions/perceptions is idiotic at best.

Darla, the rights of the people to own firearms shall not be infringed. It doesn't say the rights of the state. People. Do you know what people are?

Militia is not the same as the state army. Militias are populist oriented impromptu fighting forces of free men, acting on their own conscience.

nope. i like the rules in place now for the most part. prob need to zip up the trade show stuff a little more.

What i don't like is gun free public zones. I have a Class A License to carry and conceal. I had to do a gun safety class and test and wait for quite some time for background to get that. Why should I not be able to carry it around in an urban city where its MOST likely i will be assaulted. The problem is not people like me who are responsible and the targets of these gun control laws. The problem is criminals who get them illegaly.

If they outlawed guns today I could do to piedmont street in Worcester and buy one for like $250 thats not registered.

As I see it, they did not scratch the rest of it. They said the rest of it doesn't put qualifications on those 14 words.

I do agree that the debate should go on. It should continue to be talked out. Shouting "consensus" or "the debate is over" on something that is indeed vague or based on assumptions/perceptions is idiotic at best.

That’s my view of it. I’m not a big gun control person, for the most part it doesn’t affect me and I doubt it ever will. (though you never know). But considering the number of handgun deaths, most in the cities of this country, I get a little nauseous at the screaming of ‘THE SECOND AMENDMENT” as if it were actually clearly written, and as if any person who believed in reasonable gun regulations, is against the constitution. Well, that’s just not true.

That’s my view of it. I’m not a big gun control person, for the most part it doesn’t affect me and I doubt it ever will. (though you never know). But considering the number of handgun deaths, most in the cities of this country, I get a little nauseous at the screaming of ‘THE SECOND AMENDMENT” as if it were actually clearly written, and as if any person who believed in reasonable gun regulations, is against the constitution. Well, that’s just not true.

But if you're upset that it has been affirmed that the consitution does indeed grant the right for all individuals to own a firearm, you are against the constitution, cuz that's what it says.

But if you're upset that it has been affirmed that the consitution does indeed grant the right for all individuals to own a firearm, you are against the constitution, cuz that's what it says.

Shut up asshat.

The debate is for adults. The Supreme court said the exact opposite fifty years ago, so I guess for fifty years YOU were against the constitution? Or, you’re just a fucking retard who can’t understand anything more complex than “me good, you bad”. Whatever.

Shut up asshat.

The debate is for adults. The Supreme court said the exact opposite fifty years ago, so I guess for fifty years YOU were against the constitution? Or, you’re just a fucking retard who can’t understand anything more complex than “me good, you bad”. Whatever.

They were wrong then. They're right now. I've always been pro constitution.

Your totalitarian judicial activism has failed and your elitist statist self can't handle it. Get a life.

The first part of the 2nd amendment is simply an explanation for the command issued by the second part.

The first 10 amendments are called the Bill of Rights for a reason. None of them is about states rights, but about the rights of the people.

The 4th amendment talks about "the people" as well. Does this mean only the state is to be free from unreasonable search & seizure?

The term militia is different from military. A militia is a group of armed civilians.

The first part of the 2nd amendment is simply an explanation for the command issued by the second part.

The first 10 amendments are called the Bill of Rights for a reason. None of them is about states rights, but about the rights of the people.

The 4th amendment talks about "the people" as well. Does this mean only the state is to be free from unreasonable search & seizure?

The term militia is different from military. A militia is a group of armed civilians.

To act like these things are well-defined and perfectly clear is a joke. Read the dissent and you will get a sense of how reasonable people can legitimately disagree as to the meaning of the text and context of the Second Amendment, particularly in light of the commonly-understood meaning of the idiom "bear arms" at the time of the drafting of the Second Amendment.

Last edited:
It's funny how Darla has presented this as some unique, unheard of view. It's the same old gun-grabbing, freedom hating intellectual dishonesty.

There is no way that during the time when the constitution was written they would ever consider anyone not having a gun.

To act like these things are well-defined and perfectly clear is a joke. Read the dissent and you will get a sense of how reasonable people can legitimately disagree as to the meaning of the text and context of the Second Amendment, particularly in light of the commonly-understood meaning of the idiom "bear arms" at the time of the drafting of the Second Amendment.

I don't think its a joke at all. I read the dissenting opinion. I also know how I see the wording of the 2nd amendment.

The idiom "bear arms" was not a military phrase. This is obvious because, at the time, hunting was a common means of putting meat on the table. If "bear arms" was strictly for a military then mention of "bearing arms" on a hunt would not exist at the time. But it did.

Also, if you will look at the idiom "bear arms" at the time, then you must also look at the term "militia" at the time. It was not a structured military, but a group of armed citizens. And it is just as valid today as it was then.

Back