are all people left of center considered unpatrioit

Don Quixote

cancer survivor
Contributor
seems that people on the right think so

patriotism seems to be reserved for right wing true blue americans

i wonder if the right will continue to think that people that criticize (this is the archaic spelling of criticise per wiktionary but not the OED, oh well)

The answer is YES .. everyone of us on the left does not meet their qualifications as a "patriot" .. but then again, I'm not sure we'd want to because it seems the first rule of their brand of patriotism is whine, whine, and whine about taxes .. love of country stops at their purses.

The answer is YES .. everyone of us on the left does not meet their qualifications as a "patriot" .. but then again, I'm not sure we'd want to because it seems the first rule of their brand of patriotism is whine, whine, and whine about taxes .. love of country stops at their purses.

bac

this is the FIRST war or conflict that the us of a has fought and not only not raised taxes but CUT taxes so that the people fighting the war their's and our children and their's and our children's children will have to pay for

george washington set the standard by raising taxes to pay for our revolutionary war and that standard has been followed until now

maybe george washington was too radical for bushco

seems that people on the right think so

patriotism seems to be reserved for right wing true blue americans

i wonder if the right will continue to think that people that criticize (this is the archaic spelling of criticise per wiktionary but not the OED, oh well)

Anyone to the left of Attilla the Hun is considered unpatriotic by the far right. The problem is, is that those on the far right are so utterly clueless about what it means to be an American. They actually believe some bull shit a politician would tell them.

My proof of this is that the right talks and talks and talks about how much they believe in freedom......until someone actually practices it. Then hear them howl! LOL

I'm way beyond tired of being lectured about patriotism. Bush, with his willing enablers on the right, has driven this country into the ground. Bin Laden's goal was to bankrupt the West, and Bush has helped him immeasurably. We're about to sink $1-2 trillion into this stupid war, which has completely undermined our credibility around the globe, and all the while, pressing domestic issues have been ignored entirely.

I don't know how many years Bush has taken off of our shelf life as a superpower, because I don't know how many years we had to begin with, but it's significant. It's like it's the right that really hates America, if you judge by actions & results.

The right are real salesmen and propagandists. They have to be, otherwise they would have few supporters for their true plans.

Anyone to the left of Attilla the Hun is considered unpatriotic by the far right. The problem is, is that those on the far right are so utterly clueless about what it means to be an American. They actually believe some bull shit a politician would tell them.

My proof of this is that the right talks and talks and talks about how much they believe in freedom......until someone actually practices it. Then hear them howl! LOL

md

well then i must be patriotic, my wife occasionally describes me as to the right of attila the hun...:)

I doubt Attila was familiar with modern politics. He pretty much looked at his people, said "Uh-huh", and went of to kill and conquer.

Were using poor Attillah as both a metaphor for modern day reactiories but as a double entendre to imply that the right wingnuts are barely civilized illiterate barbarians.

There are those on the right who considers unpatriotic anyone who opposes the current WH resident. They are not, by far, a majority of the right, but they are a very vocal part of the right.

And, there are those on the left who consider anyone who calls gun rights an issue as ignorant rednecks.

As far as attitudes toward the opposition, they pretty much balance.

But it is getting a bit concerning. Never before have I seen the level of outright naked hatred spewed from one group of Americans toward another group for the "crime" of supporting a different political philosophy.

There are those on the right who considers unpatriotic anyone who opposes the current WH resident. They are not, by far, a majority of the right, but they are a very vocal part of the right.

And, there are those on the left who consider anyone who calls gun rights an issue as ignorant rednecks.

As far as attitudes toward the opposition, they pretty much balance.

But it is getting a bit concerning. Never before have I seen the level of outright naked hatred spewed from one group of Americans toward another group for the "crime" of supporting a different political philosophy.

Agree 100%. The hyperbole on both sides from the fringe is being attributed across the board.

Agree 100%. The hyperbole on both sides from the fringe is being attributed across the board.

The hyperbole on both sides is absurd and makes me question their intelligence.

Bush is not Satan, and probably not even close to the worst President in history.

Obama is not "radical"; he's further left than I would like but pretending that he's Karl Marx is just as absurd as the Bush-exaggerations.

It is the polarization of America, and this medium that we use so much here is partly responsible. I believe that WE are the exception that proves the rule. A much larger number, IMO, of americans use the internet to find sites that spout ONLY their political position. They don't debate, they don't hear other ideas and therefore they get their myopic world view reinforced. They are told what great ideas they have and would the other side just come there and listen to them they to would see the light. This happens on the left and the right.

Good Luck is absolutely right in his assessment. Those on the left that question this administration, that dare to dissent are called unpatriotic. Those on the right (and center in my case) that support gun rights are told we don't care about people that get murdered by guns. I have always said that I would love there to be one party that understood that the 2d and 9th amendments were equally as important in the bill of rights and that they should be reflected on carefully.

The right wing HATES the 9th amendement because it allows for those "other rights" not specifically named in the constitution. They always seem to ask where will it end? I always reply "with freedom".

Those on the left want to limit the 2d amendment to just people that are members of the militia, not really having an understanding of what the militia is, and don't realize that the 2d was put into place in part to dissuade the government from becoming tyrannical. I am always told by those on the left that guns in the hands of private citizens will never, in a modern world deter an oppresive government with tanks and planes. I only remind them that on November 9, 1989, Hundereds of thousands of UNARMED East Germans forced the well armed and well equipped East German and Soviet Armies to open the gates in the Berlin Wall when they could have easily mobilized th brigades in East Berlin and, through massive bloodshed put down the Peaceful Revolution. Imagine how much stronger a motivated group of citizens, in a country with almost 300 million fire arms would be in the face of oppresive regimes. Their are 10 Amendments to the Bill of Rights and it would do both sides well to learn them all and embrace them.

I wonder where people get the idea that lefties are traitors?

"burning a U.S. soldier in effigy....pulled down his pants in front of women and children and defecated on a burning U.S. flag...elicited cheers..."

http://www.portlandtribune.com/opinion/story.php?story_id=117459283544877600
There will always be extremists. The article specifies that the vast majority of protesters actions were appropriate and consistent with their message. I find neither action surprising, considering how some extremists acted during the Viet Nam war. But though I despise the way Viet Nam veterans were treated by the anti-war crowd, I do not blame all those against the war for those despicable actions.

There are also right wing extremists, who through their actions, bring others to question the morality and ultimate goals of conservative movements. (Anyone hear of bombing an abortion clinic?)

The actions of a few should never be excuse to condemn, malign, or hate an entire group.

I must have missed the mass of lefty posts condemning the actions of the Portland protesters...
Just like they missed the mass of pro-lifers condemning the bombing of abortion clinics?

Since when is not standing up and screaming like a girl about some asshole behaving like an asshole the equivalent of approval?

Back