Are cats conscious like us?

... find a clear, concise, and consistent definition of what consciousness is.

Note that Turing first proposed the test to determine the sex of the person. That's something that can be applied here. LOL

Also, although we throw around "bots" a lot, I do believe there are "special needs" members with limited abilities due to age or infirmity. Some are just young and/or stupid.

https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/turing-test/
3.1 Interpreting the Imitation Game
Turing (1950) introduces the imitation game by describing a game in which the participants are a man, a woman, and a human interrogator. The interrogator is in a room apart from the other two, and is set the task of determining which of the other two is a man and which is a woman. Both the man and the woman are set the task of trying to convince the interrogator that they are the woman. Turing recommends that the best strategy for the woman is to answer all questions truthfully; of course, the best strategy for the man will require some lying. The participants in this game also use teletypewriter to communicate with one another—to avoid clues that might be offered by tone of voice, etc. Turing then says: “We now ask the question, ‘What will happen when a machine takes the part of A in this game?’ Will the interrogator decide wrongly as often when the game is played like this as he does when the game is played between a man and a woman?”

Right I do not think the science is settled, and animals have continually surprised us at how complex they are.

The fact that I can observe animals have memory, demostrates to me they think about the past. They can remember people, animals, and events from their past, and even have emotional responses to it.

There are some Cat clips on Youtube of Cats making Cat noises.

It drives my two male cats nuts when we watch them. They watch every move those cats make on the big screen. Yes, my cats watches TV- if it is anything moving like bugs or animals.

I liked John Madden and Howard Cosell but most sports commentators are idiots.

I like John Madden too. I just read the closed captioning. No need to listen to their idiotic ranting, raving and screeching. In fact some of my hearing friends turned off the sound and the CC on for that reason. :laugh:

I like John Madden too. I just read the closed captioning. No need to listen to their idiotic ranting, raving and screeching. In fact some of my hearing friends turned off the sound and the CC on for that reason. :laugh:

That's what I've always done.

That's what I've always done.

You're a smart man. You're there to watch the football, not to listen to some idiots babbling about bullshit.

The only thing I am interested is when they're reviewing a play or challenging a ref rule. Or something else. That's when their discussions are interesting.

You're a smart man. You're there to watch the football, not to listen to some idiots babbling about bullshit.

The only thing I am interested is when they're reviewing a play or challenging a ref rule. Or something else. That's when their discussions are interesting.

Agreed. Even in a replay, it's the results that count...although the Bengals got away with a face-masking in the second(?).

mine did. she did back n forth as well as looking behind TV when something moved off screen. Enjoyed football too.

@bulldogdays-tv-2.jpg

That's actually a good example: The dog remembers his master but can't reflect on the fact the master is dead. He goes by rote, not by thinking. Animals react, humans have the ability to think things through...the dumb ones not so much. LOL

I'll look for a model, but basically emotions and memory are on a lower order than "planning ahead", reflecting, considering options, etc. Emotions and memory come into play in reactions such as when my dog sees certain other dogs and reacts.

The separation anxiety thing is a good point. Let me look at that one.

Humans are animals. There's no magical demarcation separating us from other species.

Did you know that elephants grieve for their dead? And that a gorilla who was taught sign language mourned the loss of its pet cat?

Humans are animals. There's no magical demarcation separating us from other species.

Did you know that elephants grieve for their dead? And that a gorilla who was taught sign language mourned the loss of its pet cat?

Yes but you stop too soon. Do elephants build ships to escape hunters? Do gorillas run shelters for cats?

Back