Aristotle’s Rules for Living Well

To me, it is what makes him brilliant. It is real life.

Love your neighbor? What does that mean? It is extremely vague.

And that's ultimately the problem with philosophy, it's open to interpretation.

This is the reason I like Plato the best as he gave specifics like what a just city is.

"Life would be a lot easier if there were rules, algorithms, and life hacks solving that problem once and for all. There aren’t. At the heart of the Nicomachean Ethics is a claim that remains both edifying and chastening: phronesis [practical wisdom] doesn’t come that easy. Aristotle devised a theory that was vague in just the right places, one that left, intentionally, space to be filled in by life."

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/...-well-aristotle-susan-sauve-meyer-book-review

Last paragraph, which is a good summary.

If someone cuts me off on the road, I should be mad. What I do is a matter to decide.

Your ancestors said this is wrong, they said that emotions come and go, we are not in charge of them, and there is no such thing as proper emotions. However what we do motivated by those emotions is on us, and if you find yourself abusing/harming others using your emotions as justification then you are wrong.

There are only two possibilities, you are either lying or you are ignorant and dont know the truth.

Which one do you want to pick?

Name those ancestors. What did they say? This is how adults debate ideas. Give the evidence.
Clearly you never learned how to discuss ideas.

Name those ancestors. What did they say? This is how adults debate ideas. Give the evidence.
Clearly you never learned how to discuss ideas.

The people who came before you made general conclusions which they passed down to you, which you should know about. It is interesting that you keep making highfalutin threads as if you are trying to prove that you are smart, but then you keep saying things that are wrong.

What you get out of it I dont know....maybe you simply assume that others dont know the truth.

You will find that Aristotle operated on an erroneous assumption which permeates subtle errors throughout his works. He refers to every means as being intended for a greater good, not simply as being intended for an "end". His model logically equates the evil acts of evil men with a "greater good" because the acts are pursued as something that is wanted and that brings happiness (to the evil individual). Aristotle doesn't use those exact words, he simply defines every end as being for a greater good. But then he convolutes the matter and specifies that virtue has to fit snugly into the statistical average, i.e. be in "moderation," and ceases to be virtuous if it is to either excess or deficiency. He rambled a lot.

Aristotle also convoluted "voluntary" and "involuntary" to an absurd extent. Actions done under threat of coercion may appear involuntary but are like voluntary and should be considered voluntary in the light of the decision to bring about the most happiness. But if you choose to do something stupid, like buy the latest crypto shitcoin, or invest in quantum computing, those actions are not voluntary because they are done out of ignorance.

The problem stems from Aristotle's maxim of happiness being the greatest good, and if great evil brings happiness to a twisted mind, it is a greatest good. Evil is simply defined as what one does not want, e.g. physical pain. Hilter's tossing of Jews into ovens was a greater good. The DNC stealing the Presidential election, it was a greater good. Aristotle didn't really think things through very thoroughly, but then again, validation and vetting standards in his day were substantially lesser.
Write in your own words instead of plagiarizing or using one of those AI essay generators.

The people who came before you made general conclusions which they passed down to you, which you should know about. It is interesting that you keep making highfalutin as if you are trying to prove that you are smart but then you keep saying things that are wrong.

You deserve to be ignored.

Impressive.

Wish I could do that.

Oddly, enough, he is more clear in greek. His texts went from Greek to Latin to English. Latin is very different from Greek.

One example: The text called "Metaphysics" is not Aristotle's term. He never uses the word in that text. Instead, "first philosophy." Thus, not how the world really is, but the basic concepts we use to discuss how the world is.

Write in your own words instead of plagiarizing or using one of those AI essay generators.
Those are my own words, you fucking moron. Try finding them somewhere else on the internet. Try finding a chatbot that says that. When you do, then you can accuse.

Otherwise, until you learn to post in good faith, Mr. Wiki-warrior, you don't deserve access to my time.

8513491216f3b2c999d442afaea63e21.jpg

Back