At What Point?

no, he simply taught that compliance with the law, being unobtainable by humankind, is not sufficient to atone.....he didn't reinterpret, he pointed out that the Pharisees and Sadducees had MIS-interpreted it......the same misinterpretation that atheists apply today......
Atheists don't bother to interpret any scripture. They simply have no position on the matter.

You are speaking of the Church of No God...a fundamentalist style religion.

But fundamentalists, if you think about it, are the only ones who understand that their "ULTIMATE TRUTH" doesn't ever change. If it did it wouldn't be of God.

Don't get me wrong: I carry no water for Fundies but in reality if God is real He isn't open to change to match the "feelings" of the society that worships Him. That's just bad theology.

Why would God find homosexuality to be an abomination in Year X but be OK with homosexuality in Year X+3000? What changed? (Hint: PEOPLE changed their views of homosexuals. God was written into the story to be nice like the people were becoming. Isn't it strange that when God, the creator of all things, changes He almost always becomes more accepting of modern philosophies?
There's a lot of truth to this.

People sin, and then try to quote God out of context or even make up 'quotes' to justify it.

There's a lot of truth to this.

People sin, and then try to quote God out of context or even make up 'quotes' to justify it.

OR, here's the alternative: the original stories of what God was like were...wait for it...simply "made up" and that means his worshippers are free to make up more of the God to their liking.

It's one or the other.

OR, here's the alternative: the original stories of what God was like were...wait for it...simply "made up" and that means his worshippers are free to make up more of the God to their liking.

It's one or the other.
False dichotomy fallacy. There are far more than two choices here.

no, but it looks like you are repeating yourself on multiple threads.......kind of a polytheological debate........I answered this post over there......didn't want to confuse you since I knew you wouldn't know which thread to debate in, so I didn't repeat it here.....
1st Commandment. “Since you fucks have been worshipping multiple gods, stop it!”

Ruh roh. Polytheism rears it’s ugly head in the Commandments.

But fundamentalists, if you think about it, are the only ones who understand that their "ULTIMATE TRUTH" doesn't ever change. If it did it wouldn't be of God.

Don't get me wrong: I carry no water for Fundies but in reality if God is real He isn't open to change to match the "feelings" of the society that worships Him. That's just bad theology.

Why would God find homosexuality to be an abomination in Year X but be OK with homosexuality in Year X+3000? What changed? (Hint: PEOPLE changed their views of homosexuals. God was written into the story to be nice like the people were becoming. Isn't it strange that when God, the creator of all things, changes He almost always becomes more accepting of modern philosophies?
I don't think it's up to atheists, agnostics or Buddhists to insist that Christians how christians experience their religion.

The bible was not written by God. It was written by men, who even if they were divinely inspired, have human fallibility and only had access to the language and syntax available to bronze and iron age people.

The second most important Christian after Paul, Augustine, held that biblical interpretation couldn't always be literal, and had to be generally measured against the known facts of the natural world.

I understand there is a vested interest among some atheists to insist all Christians have to be held to account to read the language of the bible strictly literally, because then it's easy to frame atheists as the smart ones and Christians universally as the idiots.

I don't think it's up to atheists, agnostics or Buddhists to insist that Christians how christians experience their religion.

The bible was not written by God. It was written by men, who even if they were divinely inspired, have human fallibility and only had access to the language and syntax available to bronze and iron age people.

The second most important Christian after Paul, Augustine, held that biblical interpretation couldn't always be literal, and had to be generally measured against the known facts of the natural world.

I understand there is a vested interest among some atheists to insist all Christians have to be held to account to read the language of the bible strictly literally, because then it's easy to frame atheists as the smart ones and Christians universally as the idiots.
Atheists do not really care what you Christians believe.

fuck Augustine.

he's a fraud.

was the old testament written by men too? are Jews dumb and gullbile or just christians?

Which commandment is polytheistic?
It’s telling the followers to stop worshipping their polytheistic gods. You see, there’s no need for an admonition to not worship other gods if they had not been doing it it the first place.

Last edited:
Jesus said it said it wasn't enough to just refrain from adultery.
it never was.......thus, not a reinterpretation......it was an admonishment.......man was never made righteous by compliance with the law.......righteousness was only through sacrifice and THAT was what Jesus fulfilled

1st Commandment. “Since you fucks have been worshipping multiple gods, stop it!”

Ruh roh. Polytheism rears it’s ugly head in the Commandments.
only an idiot argues a religion is polytheistic because it contains a commandment to NOT be polytheistic.......,

Back