Atheist logic

Millions of years of winds and tides have managed to create this beautiful sand castle.
View attachment 8216
The premise that intricate complexity arising from chaotic physical and chemical systems must somehow imply an intelligent design clock maker has been rejected by the courts and by legitimate science.

We still don't know how the intricately choreographed functions of the cell arose out of a soup of inert chemicals -- but lack of information has never been legitimately used to hypothesize a supernatural cause.

I am not one to categorically rule out that there is knowledge beyond our grasp, and I don't think we can can assume that mechanistic cause-and-effect explanations can fully account for the nature of ultimate reality.

But the creation science dupes still need to up their game, because intelligent design as a hypothesis just doesn't cut the mustard.

Yes. I have no idea what belief has to do with gravity or the earth's orbit.

There are few things that we know with 100% certainty. When I learned about the theory of gravity in school, I, whether I realize it or not, assign a level of certainty on how much I believe what I am told. When I take in information about climate change, I have a level of certainty with which I believe that. As I'm typing this in my phone, I may have a level of certainty regarding how much I believe there actually is a phone or is an "I" that is typing.

The same is true for the god that you're describing and the confidence with which you believe it exists.

There are few things that we know with 100% certainty. When I learned about the theory of gravity in school, I, whether I realize it or not, assign a level of certainty on how much I believe what I am told. When I take in information about climate change, I have a level of certainty with which I believe that. As I'm typing this in my phone, I may have a level of certainty regarding how much I believe there actually is a phone or is an "I" that is typing.

The same is true for the god that you're describing and the confidence with which you believe it exists.

You misstate what I have said. I see intelligence in the universe. Nothing to do with believing. You keep inferring that I mean God exists as intelligence, which is not my position.

You misstate what I have said. I see intelligence in the universe. Nothing to do with believing. You keep inferring that I mean God exists as intelligence, which is not my position.

What's the difference between seeing intelligence in the universe and believing there is intelligence in the universe?

Even if you believe that a god made everything, you have no idea which god. Believers in other religions have their gods, their books, their creation stories and are as confident as you that their god/religion in the 'real' one.

Nearly all religions say they are the ONE true religion

That means if only one religion is correct

99.99 are all wrong

Experience. I see my laptop. I don't have to believe to see it.

But you do believe that it exists or doesn't exist, right? With things you can't see, like gravity, you believe it exists or you don't believe it it exists and you have some level of confidence in that belief.

Back