Barack Obama: A Horse of a Different Color

blackascoal

The Force is With Me
Barack Obama: A Horse of a Different Color

Barack Obama will ride into the White House on the winds of change blown by Americans who were inspired by his almost mesmerizing speeches, manner, and aura of being someone new and special. When his message of change slid sharply to the right, his supporters closed ranks and matter-of-factly dismissed those who questioned his abrupt rightward turn with, "He's only saying what he has to say to get elected." They danced to the beat of his song and nobody danced harder than African-Americans and the antiwar left.

Now that he has been elected, it's becoming increasingly apparent that they were right, he was only saying what he had to say to get elected, and now elected, he shifts even further to the right. He got off the horse that rode him to victory and has saddled up a horse of a different color. What America gets in Obama is the same corporate horse, just a different color.

It appears that the Obama Administration is shaping up to be even less diverse than the Bush Administration, and it includes some eye-raising choices. Out of the nearly all-white male selections on the menu, Larry Summers and Rahm Emanuel stand out.

Larry Summers, who appears to be at the top of Obama's list for Treasury Secretary, served as Bill Clinton's Treasury Secretary. After leaving that post, he took over as President of Harvard University. His most notable accomplishment during his time at Harvard was the firestorm he created with the African-American Studies Department. That firestorm of his own creation led to his resigning from Harvard after a "no confidence" vote from the faculty and ever-increasing demands from within and outside of the university for him to step down. From the day he took over, Summers had the clear agenda of moving the political atmosphere of the university to the right and he aligned himself with the policies of the Bush Administration. He forced African-American Studies professor Cornel West out of Harvard and into Princeton and belittled the significance and importance of African-American study.

Summers also said that protests against Israel's occupation of Palestine and attempts to divest holdings in Israel by Harvard and other universities and institutions were "anti-semitic." He also wanted the reintroduction of the ROTC program at the university.

Summers was also once the chief economist for the World Bank where he implemented “structural adjustments programs” that were devastating to the people of Africa, Latin America, and elsewhere. While there, he also drafted a memo that called for "free market toxics" and he wrote that the World Bank should get behind sending toxic waste and industries that create these life-threatening wastes to these same "less developed countries." He said, “Health impairing pollution should be done in the country with the lowest cost, which will be the country with the lowest wages”, and that these people don't live long anyway. Again, widespread outrage ensued and calls for his resignation.

Bill Clinton found that when he tried to install him as head of his Council of Economic Advisors, he was forced to withdraw the nomination because of widespread protests, so Clinton slid him in at Treasury. While he was the head of Treasury during the Clinton Administration, his feet were firmly planted towards the interests of corporations and financial institutions.

Why is such a man even considered for a top position in an administration that branded itself on change?

A decision that has already been made is yet another Clintonite from the republican wing of the Democratic Party, Rahm Emanuel, who was selected to be Obama's Chief of Staff. Emanuel is an Israeli hardliner and the son of an Israeli terrorist. He's a cursing, swearing blue dog democrat who probably will be the guy who keeps the hapless lemming-like left from making too much noise as Obama embarks on a foreign policy that is sometimes to the right of Bush. Pakistan is that example, and Obama continues to beat the drums of war towards Iran even though the so-called "evidence" against Iran's nuclear program, supposedly recovered in a laptop, has been proven to be forged documents and Iran poses no threat to the United States. Emanuel's selection slapped many Arab nations awake who hoped for a different approach and dialogue towards finding balance in the Middle East. In the coming days and months, lots of people are going to be slapped awake.

Get used to hearing the phrase "anti-semitic" during the Obama Administration, which doesn't appear to concern him. Obama himself has morphed into an Israeli hardliner right in front of our eyes, and "anti-semitic" will be the cover many of his policies, especially with regards to war. What he does appear to indeed be concerned with is that no one think him too black. Hell, he'll even consider appointing a man who believes the lives of non-white people have less value. What African-Americans will get for their overwhelming support is symbolism, but if they're looking for someone who'd appoint blacks to top positions in the government, perhaps they should have voted for George Bush.

With talk of Hillary Clinton as Secretary of State, the only Clintonite not on the short list of possibilities is Bill Clinton himself.

But none of this is any surprise to those of us who have been hearing the words of Obama's song, not just dancing to the beat. Nor will it be any surprise that Obamanauts will continue to dismiss the glaring evidence that Obama now rides a different horse. They'll continue to blame Bush and republicans and never once notice or acknowledge that Obama rides the very same horse Bush, republicans, and Bill Clinton did. They never once acknowledged or noticed that much of the enormous money Obama amassed came from corporations and the banking industry. Blacks will declare that Obama needs to find the "best people", not just black faces, thus countering their own argument for affirmative action. The antiwar forces will shut their mouths, close their eyes real tight and hope that when they open them, body bags won’t be staring then in the face.

Everybody dancing.

No matter what the evidence, like gansta' rap, the beat just sounds too damn good and the words don't matter.

But just as with the Bush Administration, there will be many Americans who see through the smoke and mirrors. Not through the lenses of the insane right who will attack him with every knucklehead notion they can dream up, but with the truth that this nation is fully in the hands of the plutocracy of corporations, monied interests, and the State of Israel.

Well, I will agree about Sumners, except that - he hasn't been appointed yet! And the only reason we "know" that he's on the short list is because a bunch of inside-the-beltway, institionalized, media people told us so. In other words, we really don't know at all. He may very well appoint John Corzine to that spot.

As for Emmanual...I am going to give the benefit of the doubt and assume he is not going to be influencing policy, but rather, implementing it. Let's not forget that the dems, by and large, are p-words. So, they can use a tough guy to get shit done. I assume this, until I see differently.

In the meantime, Obama is going to rescind Bush orders, such as the one he is sneaking through right now, today! allowing women to be turned away for birth control because some guy doesn't feel "it's right" for her to be having sex. The global gag order, will be gone. Harmful orders on the environment, will be gone.

He is going to close GITMO.

so you know, I guess I am cautiously optimistic. I never expected to get someone who shared my beliefs - a Kucinich is not electable. So I deal with the realistic, and realistically...I'm cautiously optimistic.

If you're on the left, and you can't feel good for at least a couple of weeks right now, you need therapy...

BAC , hes got to be the president of all Americans not just you.

You might want to wait until he actually has the power to do something to insult him though.

He will run the presidents staff.

Obama has known him personally for years. Obama can handle Rahm.

Idle speculation, let's wait a bit before using our mirror to judge his presidency.

Did you wait before you judged George Bush? .. I didn't.

Do you think it proper to wait for consequences before you critique the actions of the president .. particularly in these dire times? .. I don't.

The difference is in the perspective.

Did you wait before you judged George Bush? .. I didn't.

Do you think it proper to wait for consequences before you critique the actions of the president .. particularly in these dire times? .. I don't.

The difference is in the perspective.

Where you been?

But just as with the Bush Administration, there will be many Americans who see through the smoke and mirrors. Not through the lenses of the insane right who will attack him with every knucklehead notion they can dream up, but with the truth that this nation is fully in the hands of the plutocracy of corporations, monied interests, and the State of Israel.

Yup. Change we can "believe" in...

Well, I will agree about Sumners, except that - he hasn't been appointed yet! And the only reason we "know" that he's on the short list is because a bunch of inside-the-beltway, institionalized, media people told us so. In other words, we really don't know at all. He may very well appoint John Corzine to that spot.

As for Emmanual...I am going to give the benefit of the doubt and assume he is not going to be influencing policy, but rather, implementing it. Let's not forget that the dems, by and large, are p-words. So, they can use a tough guy to get shit done. I assume this, until I see differently.

In the meantime, Obama is going to rescind Bush orders, such as the one he is sneaking through right now, today! allowing women to be turned away for birth control because some guy doesn't feel "it's right" for her to be having sex. The global gag order, will be gone. Harmful orders on the environment, will be gone.

He is going to close GITMO.

so you know, I guess I am cautiously optimistic. I never expected to get someone who shared my beliefs - a Kucinich is not electable. So I deal with the realistic, and realistically...I'm cautiously optimistic.

I understand your point of view and I respect it .. and frankly, I wish I could share it. It would certainly make my life easier .. SERIOUSLY it would. Long held and cherished relationships are strained, my brother won't return my phone calls, my sister thinks I'm crazy, and my wife and I no longer talk politics. When I'm out and about and meet people who want to talk about Obama, I tell them that perhaps they shouldn't be talking to me if all they want to hear is the beat.

Fortunately for me, Krishnamurti taught me of the weight of knowing and the burden of clarity long ago. My life might be easier, but my mind would be in turmoil. Better to reject easy than reject me.

Closing GITMO takes no courage, it's easy, and it will make for a great show. Close the School of the Americas, our own terrorist training camp, then I'll be impressed.

If you think Obama is going to reverse much of Bush's attacks on civil liberties .. FISA was your clue and his flipflop on the Patriot Act was another my sister. It's not going to happen.

Question: Could the son of any terrorist, except an Israeli terrorist, become Chief of Staff?

Here's another clue .. Larry Summers. If Obama selects him, or selects Volker, who is 80 years old, and puts Summers in the number 2 position to slide him in at Treasury like Clinton did .. you shouldn't really need any more clues.

There will indeed be some changes, but they aren't going to be what most who supported him expect.

See why I warn people about talking to me?

I understand your point of view and I respect it .. and frankly, I wish I could share it. It would certainly make my life easier .. SERIOUSLY it would. Long held and cherished relationships are strained, my brother won't return my phone calls, my sister thinks I'm crazy, and my wife and I no longer talk politics. When I'm out and about and meet people who want to talk about Obama, I tell them that perhaps they shouldn't be talking to me if all they want to hear is the beat.

Fortunately for me, Krishnamurti taught me of the weight of knowing and the burden of clarity long ago. My life might be easier, but my mind would be in turmoil. Better to reject easy than reject me.

Closing GITMO takes no courage, it's easy, and it will make for a great show. Close the School of the Americas, our own terrorist training camp, then I'll be impressed.

If you think Obama is going to reverse much of Bush's attacks on civil liberties .. FISA was your clue and his flipflop on the Patriot Act was another my sister. It's not going to happen.

Question: Could the son of any terrorist, except an Israeli terrorist, become Chief of Staff?

Here's another clue .. Larry Summers. If Obama selects him, or selects Volker, who is 80 years old, and puts Summers in the number 2 position to slide him in at Treasury like Clinton did .. you shouldn't really need any more clues.

There will indeed be some changes, but they aren't going to be what most who supported him expect.

See why I warn people about talking to me?

bac I am watching the treasury appt closely. i agree with you if it's sumners, that's going to be a really bad signal. but i'm not going to go down that road until and unless obama actually appoints him.

i'm sorry to hear about your strained family relationships. i have been down that road too. you have to let some of the emotionalism pass too. you know, i am white (i am assuming the family are having trouble with are black), and when i watched the convention and they played MLK saying, I have been to the mountaintop and I have seen the promised land, and I might not get there with you, but I promise you, we will get there...and that was in 1968 as you well know, just shortly before he was murdered, and then there is this arc of history that goes to 2008, precisely 40 years later. And I can almost believe that MLK did see the promised land. I sobbed and coudln't stop! So how must many others who lived through and experienced that feel? I can't know. You can, but I can't.

So you have to let some of that pass. And I think people are going to judge Obama realistically, on merit. I will. But as Onceler said, damn I felt good for a couple of weeks. I still do. Eight years of hell, I feel entitled! :)

Wow I did not know that Emanuel's father was infact a Jewish Terrorist. He was a member of the Irgun which used terror and the murder of civilians to force the creation of the Israeli state. That really is pretty disturbing. If he had picked a Palestinian American whose dad was a member of the PLO people would have freaked. The Irgun is the otherside of the coin that is the PLO.

Wow I did not know that Emanuel's father was infact a Jewish Terrorist. He was a member of the Irgun which used terror and the murder of civilians to force the creation of the Israeli state. That really is pretty disturbing. If he had picked a Palestinian American whose dad was a member of the PLO people would have freaked. The Irgun is the otherside of the coin that is the PLO.

I didn't know it either. Is it that big of a surprise, really? Wasn't Menachem Begin nothing but a terrorist? Hasn't Israeli terrorism always been acceptable?

But that was his father, not him. And if he's not setting policy, but rather enforcing Obama's, then who cares what his views are.

Again I'm waiting to see.

People should be judged by their own actions, not those of their parents.

I know people have problems with Emmanuel, but I understand that pick. I think it has very little to do with Israel or foreign policy. You have to think about what his role is going to be; it's a practical pick for someone looking to work with Congress in an effective way.

I'm not really a sins of the father kind of guy but a lot of people are. I'm not at all surprised that no one is upset about it, particularly those that were foaming at the mouth at the very idea of Obama being friendly with a Palestinian-American scholar.

Back