Barack Obama: A Horse of a Different Color

I didn't know it either. Is it that big of a surprise, really? Wasn't Menachem Begin nothing but a terrorist? Hasn't Israeli terrorism always been acceptable?

But that was his father, not him. And if he's not setting policy, but rather enforcing Obama's, then who cares what his views are.

Again I'm waiting to see.
Me too but at the same time we would NEVER let a president appoint as his chief of staff a Palestinian American whose dad was PLO and then say " That was his father, not him." I just see the double standard that BAC is pointing to and I think it sucks.

Me too but at the same time we would NEVER let a president appoint as his chief of staff a Palestinian American whose dad was PLO and then say " That was his father, not him." I just see the double standard that BAC is pointing to and I think it sucks.

Well, think about the source of that double-standard.

Would you rather that America be the kind of country that would reject the offspring of both a PLO & Israeli terrorist, or accept both in such a position?

Wow I did not know that Emanuel's father was infact a Jewish Terrorist. He was a member of the Irgun which used terror and the murder of civilians to force the creation of the Israeli state. That really is pretty disturbing. If he had picked a Palestinian American whose dad was a member of the PLO people would have freaked. The Irgun is the otherside of the coin that is the PLO.

Exactly .. and if there was anyone anywhere near his administration who was just a distant relative of the PLO people would have freaked.

How did Obama become an Israeli hardliner?

Would the question of why the incredible over-representation of people of Jewish faith exists thoughout American government, given that they make up about 1.5% of the population, be a valid question or should it be considered anti-semitic?

I would expect that if Obama chose as many blacks for his top-level positions questions of tribalism and over-representation would arise .. even though blacks make up a much higher percentage of the US population. Even I would be questioning the wisdom of such a move.

I'm not really a sins of the father kind of guy but a lot of people are. I'm not at all surprised that no one is upset about it, particularly those that were foaming at the mouth at the very idea of Obama being friendly with a Palestinian-American scholar.

Yeah, that is the really telling part.

Exactly .. and if there was anyone anywhere near his administration who was just a distant relative of the PLO people would have freaked.

How did Obama become an Israeli hardliner?

Would the question of why the incredible over-representation of people of Jewish faith exists thoughout American government, given that they make up about 1.5% of the population, be a valid question or should it be considered anti-semitic?

I would expect that if Obama chose as many blacks for his top-level positions questions of tribalism and over-representation would arise .. even though blacks make up a much higher percentage of the US population. Even I would be questioning the wisdom of such a move.

Or, he put Rahm in there to ease tensions as he pursues a much fairer Palestinian road. We don't know. It's just like, all of the pundits have been stating, as if they know, that Emmanual was picked to keep the "pelosis" in line.

What if, he was picked to push the blue dogs in line?

See, we really don't know yet.

I don't think Obama's priority for Chief of Staff was "I have to pick someone for Israel." I think he wanted someone he could trust first and foremost, and someone tough like Rahm who could help him effectively implement his vision. Rahm will definitely play the role of bad cop, which I don't think Obama wants to get mired in...

I'm not really a sins of the father kind of guy but a lot of people are. I'm not at all surprised that no one is upset about it, particularly those that were foaming at the mouth at the very idea of Obama being friendly with a Palestinian-American scholar.

What message does that send to not only the Arab world, but to the world in general?

"Obviously he'll influence the president to be pro-Israel. Why wouldn't he?" the elder Mr. Emanuel is quoted as saying. "What is he, an Arab? He's not going to be mopping floors at the White House."

Rahm Emanuel's father on his appointment as Chief of Staff.

How is trust within the Arab world going to be rebuilt if Obama surrounds himself in Israeli hardliners .. and shuns even the pictures of him with Arab women in scarf?

Obama's selection of Emanuel sends the wrong signal to the Arabs
http://yalibnan.com/site/archives/2008/11/obamas_appointm.php

Additinally, Emanuels appointment didn't just raise the eyes of Arabs.

To believe that a new global relationship could be formed while still being percieved as Israel's lapdog is delusional.

But Israel only makes up part of the horse Obama now rides.

BAC, if Rahm had all of the qualities & qualifications that Obama is looking for in a COS, do you think he should have decided against him solely because of who his father is?

Or, he put Rahm in there to ease tensions as he pursues a much fairer Palestinian road. We don't know. It's just like, all of the pundits have been stating, as if they know, that Emmanual was picked to keep the "pelosis" in line.

What if, he was picked to push the blue dogs in line?

See, we really don't know yet.

Same question .. where is the balance and diverity of perspectives? How does this represent all Americans?

I too believe Emanuel was put there to keep the left in line .. evidenced by his history.

BAC, if Rahm had all of the qualities & qualifications that Obama is looking for in a COS, do you think he should have decided against him solely because of who his father is?

Absolutely, as I think any son of a terrorist would be denied unless that terrorist was Israeli. Surely you agree.

Additionally, he should have picked someone else if he truly wants to send a message to the world that he seeks balance and a new relationship.

"Absolutely, as I think any son of a terrorist would be denied unless that terrorist was Israeli. Surely you agree."

I agree they WOULD be; but should they be?

Do you think that having a terrorist parent automatically disqualifies someone, no matter what the circumstances?

"Absolutely, as I think any son of a terrorist would be denied unless that terrorist was Israeli. Surely you agree."

I agree they WOULD be; but should they be?

Do you think that having a terrorist parent automatically disqualifies someone, no matter what the circumstances?

In the interests of American security and integrity I believe that such restriction is valid, although perhaps less valid in lower level positions.

If you're foreign born .. which Obama is not .. you can't be the president.

Do you think that's valid? .. I do.

And how hasn't he, so far?

Do you think Cabinet & staff picks should be based on direct representation of how America looks, or on who is best for the job?

Why would they be mutually exclusive?

Are you a supporter of affirmative action? .. I am. It's been conclusively demonstrated that "the best" and diversity are not mutually exclusive my brother.

If Hillary Clinton had won, wouldn't the diversity within her administration be critiqued?

What makes Obama exempt from such critique?

Why would they be mutually exclusive?

Are you a supporter of affirmative action? .. I am. It's been conclusively demonstrated that "the best" and diversity are not mutually exclusive my brother.

If Hillary Clinton had won, wouldn't the diversity within her administration be critiqued?

What makes Obama exempt from such critique?

It's fine to critique it, yet I'd note that not a single secretary has been nominated yet. It's a little early to bash the diversity in the Obama Administration.

Back