Bertrand Russell vs. John-Paul Sartre

Always been true. You just don't know anything about the history of philosophy.

This is what you said:

"Most philosophers don't really care about religion. Otherwise, they would be theologians."
^ That is categorically false, because Renee Descartes, Immanuel Kant, David Hume, Hegel, Kierkegaard, Aquinas, were keenly interested in religion and religious thought. Even if their opinions varied about religion.

For that matter, Nietchze was interested in writing about religion, even if he did not agree with it.

That is why I made the comment about 19th and 20th century philosophy being sundered more from religion.

This is what you said:

^ That is categorically false, because Renee Descartes, Immanuel Kant, David Hume, Hegel, Kierkegaard, Aquinas, were keenly interested in religion. Even if their opinions varied about religion.

For that matter, Nietchze was interested in writing about religion, even if he did not agree with it.

False. Descartes never talked about religion. Kant did not talk about religion. Hume made fun of the religious. Hegel wrote about religion, true. Kierkegaard was essentially a philosopher of Christianity. Aquinas was a theologian.

Nietzsche was a self avowed atheist and enemy of religion.

False. Descartes never talked about religion. Kant did not talk about religion. Hume made fun of the religious. Hegel wrote about religion, true. Kierkegaard was essentially a philosopher of Christianity. Aquinas was a theologian.

Nietzsche was a self avowed atheist and enemy of religion.
you said they didn't care about religion. I can only respond to the words you write. The question was not if they liked religion, or practiced religion.

Descartes is widely known for his philosophical proof of God. The rest were all interested in religion and religious thinking. Period, full stop.

Even atheists like Marx and Nietzsche were interested in writing and thinking about religion because of what it said about the human condition.

For that matter, prior to about 1600, there was no distinction between theology and philosophy. Hence, Aquinas, Boetheis, Abelard, etc.
For two thousand years of western philosophical thinking, religion and religious thought has keenly interested philosophers. As part of the human condition it is not something that can really be ignored

Last edited:
you said they didn't care about religion. I can only respond to the words you write. The question was not if they liked religion, or practiced religion.

Descartes is widely known for his philosophical proof of God. The rest were all interested in religion and religious thinking. Period, full stop.

Even atheists like Marx and Nietzsche were interested in writing and thinking about religion because of what it said about the human condition.

For that matter, prior to about 1600, there was no distinction between theology and philosophy. Hence, Aquinas, Boetheis, Abelard, etc.
For two thousand years of western philosophical thinking, religion and religious thought has keenly interested philosophers. As part of the human condition it is not something that can really be ignored

I will reply in more detail. But if you think Nietzsche was sympathetic to religion you literally have never read a single word he wrote.

Not what I wrote, not even close to what I wrote.

I genuinely do not see your argument.

Kant wrote about metaphysics, music, chemistry, astronomy, epistemology, ethics, art and other topics. Why is the fact he may have mentioned religion more important than his attention to anthropology or music?

So what if Descartes mentioned God? What does that prove?

I genuinely do not see your argument.

Kant wrote about metaphysics, music, chemistry, astronomy, epistemology, ethics, art and other topics. Why is the fact he may have mentioned religion more important than his attention to anthropology or music?

I did not say Kant did not write about other topics. He was prolific.

I can only respond to the words you actually wrote. You literally wrote that philosophers "don't really care about religion" - when in fact for two thousand years of western philosophical thinking, philosophers have indeed been interested in religion and religious thinking.

I did not say Kant did not write about other topics. He was prolific.

I can only respond to the words you actually wrote. You wrote that philosophers "don't really care about religion" - when in fact for two thousand years of western philosophical thinking, philosophers have indeed been interested in religion and religious thinking.

You are abusing the word "care." It means, interested in, not mentioning.

Back