Bery Nica High Fiva!!!

Topspin

Verified User
Oil reaches $140 a barrel for the 1st time
Intraday record set on $5 surge as comments from OPEC, Libyan officials raise supply and price concerns.
EMAIL * PRINT * DIGG * RSS Subscribe to Markets

feed://rss.cnn.com/rss/money_markets.rss
Paste this link into your favorite RSS desktop reader
See all CNNMoney.com RSS FEEDS (close) By Kenneth Musante, CNNMoney.com staff writer
Last Updated: June 26, 2008: 2:27 PM EDT

Special Reportfull coverage

World energy use seen surging
Speculation: The great debate
What Congress wants to do
Oil reaches $140 a barrel for the 1st time
Iraqi oil: Gauging the potential
Exxon spill damages reduced

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Oil reached $140 a barrel for the first time ever Thursday following reports that Libya may cut production and an OPEC official said crude could hit $170 a barrel this summer.

Meanwhile, the dollar's decline against the euro added further upward price pressure.

Light, sweet crude for August delivery rose $5.45 to $140 a barrel in electronic trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange, having reached an intraday record of $140.05. The previous high of $139.89 was set June 16.

Supply worries. Ongoing concerns over supply disruptions in Africa and the Middle East were the impetus for the surge.

The largest supply concern came out of Libya, which threatened to reduce production.

According to a report by the Bloomberg news service, Shokri Ghanem, chairman of Libya's National Oil Corporation, said reductions may be made because the market is oversupplied.

Other reasons given by Ghanem: A response to sanctions against Iran, also a member of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, and a bill being discussed in Congress that could allow lawsuits against OPEC countries.

"Even if they pulled 300,000 barrels a day off the market, that would have an impact," said Tom Orr, head of research at Weeden & Co.

Speaking to France 24 television Thursday, OPEC president Chakib Khelil said oil prices could rise to between $150 and $170 a barrel during the summer. He added that he didn't think oil would hit $200 a barrel.

Earlier in the week, Chevron Corp. (CVX, Fortune 500) said workers belonging to Pengassan, a white collar union in Nigeria, had gone on strike. Strike concerns persisted Thursday, threatening to shutter oil producing facilities.

Tension between Israel and Iran was also a concern. On Wednesday, Iran's speaker of the parliament, Ali Larijani, warned that a military strike by western nations or Israel would "cost them heavily."

Fed rate hold. Some oil investors may also have been a little disappointed over the Fed's decision to keep a key interbank lending rate at 2%, according to Phil Flynn, senior market analyst with Alaron Trading in Chicago.

On Thursday morning, the Commerce Department revised the country's gross domestic product upward to a 1% annual rate. But the GDP, along with the Fed's statement, may not have painted as positive a picture as many oil investors had hoped.

"You put the two together and it wasn't enough to... wow anybody," said Flynn.

Dollar doldrums. The dollar slipped against the euro and other major currencies on Thursday morning, a day after the Fed's announcement.

Oil is traded in dollars, so any strengthening or weakening in U.S. currency has been influencing oil prices over the past several months.

The Fed's decision was largely expected. But Flynn said some in the market hoped the Fed would have decided to raise rates, or at least have used stronger language suggesting future rate increases, which would bolster the dollar.

"It was kind of a wishy-washy statement on inflation," said Flynn.

Oil prices settled down more than $2 in the previous session, but crude has been trading in a large range recently, rising or falling about $4 a barrel d

Why do you think its good news? are u getting 20% raises or huge bonuses out of it? You company may be making bocu loot but are they sharing with employees?

This is why the Fed should have raised rates yesterday. Buffett is right, Bernanke should resign.... NOW. Because he essentially just ass f'd the economy by his inaction.

:rant:

Ben is going to find his inner Volker too late and have to come out with a 50 basis point raise and wind up chasing inflation.
I don't get options but my 5,000 shares at a P/E of 10.6 are looking better by the minute. I know I have to much of my assets in oil, but take a look and the only other thing working this year are commodities.

Ben is going to find his inner Volker too late and have to come out with a 50 basis point raise and wind up chasing inflation.
I don't get options but my 5,000 shares at a P/E of 10.6 are looking better by the minute. I know I have to much of my assets in oil, but take a look and the only other thing working this year are commodities.

Regardless, you must really have no soul to be able to cheer this kind of news, when families already desperately struggling, are crying at the next gas hike because that means no fucking milk you scum.

bullshit only turbo-lib false outragers like you are crying. We are FINALLY getting a fair price for our product.

Look at it this way. If the price didn't go up to something ridiculous, it would take us 20 years to get on the path to solid alternatives.

It doesn't feel like it right now, but this is really the best thing that could have happened for our long term energy needs.

bullshit only turbo-lib false outragers like you are crying. We are FINALLY getting a fair price for our product.

Fuck you top. I have no false outrage. I think you’re a cocksucker and just the type of prick, who when financial ruin visits you, others laugh over it.

Look at it this way. If the price didn't go up to something ridiculous, it would take us 20 years to get on the path to solid alternatives.

It doesn't feel like it right now, but this is really the best thing that could have happened for our long term energy needs.

That might end up to be the silver lining, but you still have to be a real fuck to be cheering over other people’s ruin. The only one I know of doing it, is Top. He’s missing some sort of gene.

and I think your a largeassed man hater who fear the coc* and is much too stupid to accumulate any wealth. Go suck down another large latte ya retard bimbo.

and I think your a largeassed man hater who fear the coc* and is much too stupid to accumulate any wealth. Go suck down another large latte ya retard bimbo.

Top, when you get yours, and you will, a lot of people are going to be laughing. None so much as the ones who know you best, I’m sure.

Even Obama wanted gas prices to rise although he said at a 'gradual adjustment' and not this fast. While its fine to want to want cheap gas and oil and want us to ween ourselves off oil and have more alternative energy the reality as you said is high prices today are what's going to spur development of more alternative sources.

Head in the proverbial sand...............

Even Obama wanted gas prices to rise although he said at a 'gradual adjustment' and not this fast. While its fine to want to want cheap gas and oil and want us to ween ourselves off oil and have more alternative energy the reality as you said is high prices today are what's going to spur development of more alternative sources.

fyi energy industries have had alternative fuel sources for decades...they are just gouging the consumer over the last 200 years worth of fossil fuel...people like top and others who gain wealth through speculation are going to become the dinosaurs when the beans are spilled!...Very soon I predict!

Oh shut up about ‘even obama”. Who cares? Is everything political to you? People can’t afford these energy and food prices, period. Got it? Jesus Christ.

fyi energy industries have had alternative fuel sources for decades...they are just gouging the consumer over the last 200 years worth of fossil fuel...people like top and others who gain wealth through speculation are going to become the dinosaurs when the beans are spilled!...Very soon I predict!

lol He's like the Ghost of Christmas past or something.

Okkay gramps! They've had alternative fuel sources for decades! Whatever you say! Now go back to bed...

Back