Biden's war on oil continues

Are Biden policies good for Americans?

• Total voters
You don't get to speak for all auto manufacturers.

At this point the only manufacturer that has announced they are going all electric is Government Motors, and of course, Tesla.

Buzzword fallacy. Denial of history. Speculation. You don't give a shit about anybody's opinions except your own.

You are completely wrong again my dear, but at least you are consistently wrong- about everything

No, it can't. It varies in speed to provide the needed power at the time. Running a diesel engine faster for the same power output just wears out the engine and consumes the same fuel. Listen to one start to pull a train out of the yard. Once the engineer has stretched the train, you will hear that ole' diesel spinning up to provide for the increased demand for electric power to the traction wheels.

The throttle governs the electrical power distribution (via duty cycle variance). The diesel engine is controlled by a governor, which in turn is controlled by a load sensor (generator load).

Yes, it can be run at a constant speed to turn 1 (needs to be kinda big and maybe some performance-enhancing gearing after it) flywheel which powers a stator/Alternator which powers the Large electric motor. Maybe a small battery pack or even a large capacitor for keeping constant power.

The motor doesn't have to be running flat-out for what it could actually do all the time. It can be designed for its purpose. Designed to be heavy-duty, even.

Like a train, but it doesn't need that much torque. Very low band on the engine and a VR on the alternator.

All the power is there all the time if needed. Might need some gears after the electric motor, or might not. Not many, though. Low-High or maybe 3.

No, it can't. It varies in speed to provide the needed power at the time. Running a diesel engine faster for the same power output just wears out the engine and consumes the same fuel. Listen to one start to pull a train out of the yard. Once the engineer has stretched the train, you will hear that ole' diesel spinning up to provide for the increased demand for electric power to the traction wheels.

The throttle governs the electrical power distribution (via duty cycle variance). The diesel engine is controlled by a governor, which in turn is controlled by a load sensor (generator load).

The concept can be applied to personal vehicles and trucks. They don't have to pull millions of tons, just the vehicle weight at a decent speed and up to 100K lbs or so, depending on the vehicle.

A "big rig" version would need to be rated for like 200k lbs.

There could even be an electric engine brake. :eek:

Yes, it can be run at a constant speed to turn 1 (needs to be kinda big and maybe some performance-enhancing gearing after it) flywheel which powers a stator/Alternator which powers the Large electric motor. Maybe a small battery pack or even a large capacitor for keeping constant power.

The motor doesn't have to be running flat-out for what it could actually do all the time. It can be designed for its purpose. Designed to be heavy-duty, even.

Like a train, but it doesn't need that much torque. Very low band on the engine and a VR on the alternator.

All the power is there all the time if needed. Might need some gears after the electric motor, or might not. Not many, though. Low-High or maybe 3.

Tesla has a simple transmission in their cars. It's built into the 'power pack' of the car (on the Model 3, this is two motors, associated transmission, and oil cooling and filtration system).
You seem to be suggesting to build a car like a diesel electric locomotive.

That's a heavy power plant. It works on a locomotive because weight is kind of what you need to haul an entire train around.
It does have some advantages though. The transmission is simpler, and each wheel can be independently controlled to improve traction. Four wheel drive is easily made possible.
Could be especially useful for, say, a truck.

There is a conversion loss greater than just using a diesel engine directly in the car.

That doesn't matter with a locomotive because you are hauling so much freight with that thing.
A car hauls only itself plus driver and it's own payload.

Tesla has a simple transmission in their cars. It's built into the 'power pack' of the car (on the Model 3, this is two motors, associated transmission, and oil cooling and filtration system).
You seem to be suggesting to build a car like a diesel electric locomotive.

That's a heavy power plant. It works on a locomotive because weight is kind of what you need to haul an entire train around.
It does have some advantages though. The transmission is simpler, and each wheel can be independently controlled to improve traction. Four wheel drive is easily made possible.
Could be especially useful for, say, a truck.

There is a conversion loss greater than just using a diesel engine directly in the car.

That doesn't matter with a locomotive because you are hauling so much freight with that thing.
A car hauls only itself plus driver and it's own payload.

Therefore It could all be much smaller and have more acceleration if done right. ;)

With torque for days.

Define 'clean'. You seem to have an unnatural fear of CO2.

Lithium is not a rare earth, and cobalt is not a rare earth. Rare earths are not metals.

Communism doesn't work.

Everything. Most vehicles used for towing actually use diesel oil.

Bullshit. Most small cars can tow a small utility trailer with a modest load. Even a Smart Car, one of the smallest, can tow a small utility trailer with a modest load.
The Tesla model 3 cannot tow even an empty utility trailer. It over grosses the car. The same with the model S.

The structure of an EV is dedicated to holding those heavy battery packs. There isn't any left over for a significant payload.

Yes it does.

It's very relevant. What is 'weather gas'?? Is this what you call 'gasoline'? Diesel is the best engine for towing.

No, they can't, and they don't have the range with the same load that they CAN carry. There are currently NO EV tractors for sale, just prototypes.

Your fantasy doesn't even fit in the bucket, dude.

Terrible range when loaded. Their semi tractor gets only 180 miles before needing a recharge. A diesel semi-tractor can go 2000 miles on a single fill up when loaded. You want to point to any more jokes of a truck?

Forget it. I've heard the marketing hype. Ohms law prevails.

No, they aren't. You can't just ram current indiscriminately. Ohm's law prevails.

Nope. Not with Li-ion batteries, the lightest battery made.

Nope. They happen all the time. An entire container ship was recently lost at sea because of an EV battery fire. Fortunately, the crew abandoned ship safely. They had no way to fight the fire. That ship contained quite a few cars, including very expensive European gasoline cars.

A road hazard such as a rock, fording a flooded road, large speed bumps, high centering issues, or accidents often result in battery fires. Pretending this doesn't exist is just stupid.

Many shops won't work on EVs. There is no place to safely store them or work on them.

Occasionally, but a lot less than EVs, car for car. Even the Ford Pinto, which was well known for catching fire in a rear end collision, wasn't due to it's use of gasoline, but rather due to the extremely poor design of mounting the gasoline tank just behind the rear differential. Not that many of them actually burned.

Ohm's law.

An URL is not a proof. At the present number of EVs (about 1% of all cars on the road or about 10 million vehicles worldwide), it's not a problem, particularly near cities. If that number significantly increases, it's going to be a BIG problem.

Many shops won't accept EV's because of their fire hazard. I haven't had to do any repairs on any of my gasoline cars other than the usual maintenance, not much different than for an EV.
A replacement battery on a Tesla runs about $25,000 plus labor (which requires special tools and handling).
A replacement engine on my truck runs about $1700 plus labor (which I would do in my case, using standard tools).

No. You can't charge an EV from solar power at night. There is no Sun. Solar power is the most expensive method to generate power. Wind is 2nd most expensive, watt for watt.

False authority fallacy. Attempted proof by URL.

They cost too much...period.

Cost of materials, labor, and handling. Those materials will only get more expensive as demand for EV's increase.

I saw no links - so I did not waste time with any of that.

I am not going to debate with you so long as you refuse to back up your points with facts and links to prove them...unless I was AMAZINGLY bored.
And I ain't that bored.

I made my points...you posted no links to back up whatever the heck you typed.

So...we are done here.

Bye now.

I saw no links - so I did not waste time with any of that.
I don't need to link to Ohm's law or the commodities markets.
I am not going to debate with you so long as you refuse to back up your points with facts and links to prove them...unless I was AMAZINGLY bored.
And I ain't that bored.
Go learn what 'fact' means. It does NOT mean Universal Truth. Since you want to ignore Ohm's law and the commodity markets, that's YOUR problem.
I made my points...you posted no links to back up whatever the heck you typed.
You made your points ignoring Ohm's law and the commodities markets.

Argument of the Stone fallacy.
Attempted proof by negative.

There are no shortages, just a whole lot of greed on the part of big oil, who you would never blame for anything.
Fortunately within the next few years, as more electric vehicles are available. Our dependence on big oil will diminish.

Fuck you, idiot. You'll see before this year is out. The "we got a ransomware attack" thing was a lie, we ran out of fuel then.

Yes, but it's more efficient simply to use a diesel engine by itself to avoid conversion losses when used for a car or truck.

No, a big electric motor can be powered by a smaller diesel engine and have all of everything people need. Basically used to generate the electricity to run the big electric motor. The flywheel has to be big and stay at a constant speed, IMO.

No, a big electric motor can be powered by a smaller diesel engine and have all of everything people need. Basically used to generate the electricity to run the big electric motor. The flywheel has to be big and stay at a constant speed, IMO.

You can't make energy out of nothing. A big flywheel isn't creating energy.

Nope. You can't make energy out of nothing. See the 1st law of thermodynamics. A flywheel isn't creating energy.

Yes, but it is amplifying/transferring energy. The modified train model is better and more efficient and I'm going to stand by that.

It's something that could actually work. I've already run it past 3 engineers. They're like "Hey! That's pretty good." One of them is er was er is a mechanic.

Yes, but it is amplifying/transferring energy. The modified train model is better and more efficient and I'm going to stand by that.

It's something that could actually work. I've already run it past 3 engineers. They're like "Hey! That's pretty good." One of them is er was er is a mechanic.

You cannot 'amplify' energy. You cannot create energy out of nothing.

Do you want to discuss how many incompetent mechanics or engineers I come across regularly?

Back