Bill would give president emergency control of Internet

Isn't what this bill is suggesting the same thing they just did in Iran during the uprising over their Presidential election?

Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) introduced the original bill in April, they claimed it was vital to protect national cybersecurity. "We must protect our critical infrastructure at all costs--from our water to our electricity, to banking, traffic lights and electronic health records,"

From the article

Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) introduced the original bill in April, they claimed it was vital to protect national cybersecurity. "We must protect our critical infrastructure at all costs--from our water to our electricity, to banking, traffic lights and electronic health records,"

From the article

I don't give a shit who introduced it..you have no problems with it?

I don't give a shit who introduced it..you have no problems with it?

NO. do you want to be safer from terrorism or not?

Plus setting this up so it can be done will be another mini IT boom.
Good for the economy.

A fine time for righties to be worrying about loss of privacy and police state stuff.
You are many years late on that.

I'm experiencing deja vu.

and what crony corporation do you think is going to get that lucrative contract?

Ohh ATT, Verizon and Sprint most likely.
Plus one coordinating company. Maybe some for ohh darn that networking hardware company in CA that makes routers and such. I forget the name Darnit getting old I guess. and maybe sun.

They will likely just download new progs to the routers and the routers will ignore everything except what they are told to process. A denied user would lilkely still sho connected, but it's requests would be ignored.
Also the first time they try this it will be a mess.

I could design the system, getting the right data to plug in on which users to deny...now that is the hard part.

We already have stuff in place to deny certain countries.

Last edited:
NO. do you want to be safer from terrorism or not?

Plus setting this up so it can be done will be another mini IT boom.
Good for the economy.

A fine time for righties to be worrying about loss of privacy and police state stuff.
You are many years late on that.

Ask yourself this simple question, as I did with the Patriot Act; I'd be comfortable with this safeguard if the person in control was of the opposition party. (For me read, Gore/Clinton, for you read, Bush/Cheney). If not, it's probably not a good idea.

Maybe you should use your Jitterbug to call Senator Rockefeller's office and complain.:lolup:

links in article
----------------------------------------------

SNIP:
by Declan McCullagh Font size Print E-mail Share 19 comments Yahoo! BuzzInternet companies and civil liberties groups were alarmed this spring when a U.S. Senate bill proposed handing the White House the power to disconnect private-sector computers from the Internet.

They're not much happier about a revised version that aides to Sen. Jay Rockefeller, a West Virginia Democrat, have spent months drafting behind closed doors. CNET News has obtained a copy of the 55-page draft (excerpt), which still appears to permit the president to seize temporary control of private-sector networks during a so-called cybersecurity emergency.

The new version would allow the president to "declare a cybersecurity emergency" relating to "non-governmental" computer networks and do what's necessary to respond to the threat. Other sections of the proposal include a federal certification program for "cybersecurity professionals," and a requirement that certain computer systems and networks in the private sector be managed by people who have been awarded that license.

"I think the redraft, while improved, remains troubling due to its vagueness," said Larry Clinton, president of the Internet Security Alliance, which counts representatives of Verizon, Verisign, Nortel, and Carnegie Mellon University on its board. "It is unclear what authority Sen. Rockefeller thinks is necessary over the private sector. Unless this is clarified, we cannot properly analyze, let alone support the bill."

Representatives of other large Internet and telecommunications companies expressed concerns about the bill in a teleconference with Rockefeller's aides this week, but were not immediately available for interviews on Thursday.

A spokesman for Rockefeller also declined to comment on the record Thursday, saying that many people were unavailable because of the summer recess. A Senate source familiar with the bill compared the president's power to take control of portions of the Internet to what President Bush did when grounding all aircraft on Sept. 11, 2001. The source said that one primary concern was the electrical grid, and what would happen if it were attacked from a broadband connection.

When Rockefeller, the chairman of the Senate Commerce committee, and Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) introduced the original bill in April, they claimed it was vital to protect national cybersecurity. "We must protect our critical infrastructure at all costs--from our water to our electricity, to banking, traffic lights and electronic health records," Rockefeller said.

The Rockefeller proposal plays out against a broader concern in Washington, D.C., about the government's role in cybersecurity. In May, President Obama acknowledged that the government is "not as prepared" as it should be to respond to disruptions and announced that a new cybersecurity coordinator position would be created inside the White House staff. Three months later, that post remains empty, one top cybersecurity aide has quit, and some wags have begun to wonder why a government that receives failing marks on cybersecurity should be trusted to instruct the private sector what to do.

complete article here..
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10320096-38.html

Ask yourself this simple question, as I did with the Patriot Act; I'd be comfortable with this safeguard if the person in control was of the opposition party. (For me read, Gore/Clinton, for you read, Bush/Cheney). If not, it's probably not a good idea.

Ahh conflict and natural resistance in a time of urgency. Is that a good thing?
It should be operated by a quasi indepentent agency. FCC?

In any case if it was found that the net was shut down for either party's political gain the other party would be all over them.

Hopefully the bill has congressional oversight for this type of thing.

Last edited:

links in article
----------------------------------------------

SNIP:
by Declan McCullagh Font size Print E-mail Share 19 comments Yahoo! BuzzInternet companies and civil liberties groups were alarmed this spring when a U.S. Senate bill proposed handing the White House the power to disconnect private-sector computers from the Internet.

They're not much happier about a revised version that aides to Sen. Jay Rockefeller, a West Virginia Democrat, have spent months drafting behind closed doors. CNET News has obtained a copy of the 55-page draft (excerpt), which still appears to permit the president to seize temporary control of private-sector networks during a so-called cybersecurity emergency.

The new version would allow the president to "declare a cybersecurity emergency" relating to "non-governmental" computer networks and do what's necessary to respond to the threat. Other sections of the proposal include a federal certification program for "cybersecurity professionals," and a requirement that certain computer systems and networks in the private sector be managed by people who have been awarded that license.

"I think the redraft, while improved, remains troubling due to its vagueness," said Larry Clinton, president of the Internet Security Alliance, which counts representatives of Verizon, Verisign, Nortel, and Carnegie Mellon University on its board. "It is unclear what authority Sen. Rockefeller thinks is necessary over the private sector. Unless this is clarified, we cannot properly analyze, let alone support the bill."

Representatives of other large Internet and telecommunications companies expressed concerns about the bill in a teleconference with Rockefeller's aides this week, but were not immediately available for interviews on Thursday.

A spokesman for Rockefeller also declined to comment on the record Thursday, saying that many people were unavailable because of the summer recess. A Senate source familiar with the bill compared the president's power to take control of portions of the Internet to what President Bush did when grounding all aircraft on Sept. 11, 2001. The source said that one primary concern was the electrical grid, and what would happen if it were attacked from a broadband connection.

When Rockefeller, the chairman of the Senate Commerce committee, and Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) introduced the original bill in April, they claimed it was vital to protect national cybersecurity. "We must protect our critical infrastructure at all costs--from our water to our electricity, to banking, traffic lights and electronic health records," Rockefeller said.

The Rockefeller proposal plays out against a broader concern in Washington, D.C., about the government's role in cybersecurity. In May, President Obama acknowledged that the government is "not as prepared" as it should be to respond to disruptions and announced that a new cybersecurity coordinator position would be created inside the White House staff. Three months later, that post remains empty, one top cybersecurity aide has quit, and some wags have begun to wonder why a government that receives failing marks on cybersecurity should be trusted to instruct the private sector what to do.

complete article here..
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10320096-38.html

Looks to me they are abusing their constitutional power.

Heil Hitler

Interstate commerce allows the feds to control the net.
National seucurity issues as well.

Plenty of precedents.

Interstate commerce allows the feds to control the net.
National seucurity issues as well.

Plenty of precedents.
the commerce clause also gives congress the authority to tell you whether you can have a rose bush in your front yard or not.

that powerful enough regulation for you?

Back