Blatantly Illegal:’ NASCAR Bans White Applicants From ‘Diversity Internship’

Ain't nothin' like smell of nitro to open your sinuses and make your eyes water. Not to mention the ground pounding of 12,000 HP.

I just remember what all I had to do to my street ride, and all the money and time I spent, to get an ET under 11 seconds, and how much thrill that was for my Need-for-Speed desires.

But to even imagine what under 4 seconds the G-forces might feel like, always kept me a little bit envious and respectful towards all those brave souls that met that challenge.

Not just that, but knowing the sense of danger and risk it involved as well. And also keeping in mind the split second human decisions and responses one has to make when the Christmas tree lights are dropping down from red to green, the push button start, the challenge of keeping your ride in a straight line, all the way to pulling the Chute lever at the end of your ride. That is a lot to have to deal with in less than 4 seconds.

I suppose that is why Drag Racing always brings on the goosebumps- no matter whether it was me in the driver's seat, or watching the pros do it. It was so much fun and excitement either way! ALMOST BETTER THAN SEX! :laugh:

Wow! What a spectator sport huh?

Just something I never felt or experienced while watching oval track racing BTW- even thought there is much to be desired, appreciated, and respected there as well!

Last edited:
Diversity , NASCAR is majority white , the entire idea is to open up their demographic. Having another white guy does what for diversity??

I just remember what all I had to do to my street ride, and all the money and time I spent, to get an ET under 11 seconds, and how much thrill that was for my Need-for-Speed desires.

But to even imagine what under 4 seconds might feel like, always kept me a little bit envious and respectful towards all those brave souls that met that challenge.

Not just that, but knowing the sense of danger and risk it involved as well. And also keeping in mind the split second human decisions and responses one has to make when the Christmas tree lights are dropping down from red to green, the challenge if keeping your ride in a straight line, all the way to pulling the Chute lever at the end of your ride. That is a lot to have to deal with in less than 4 seconds.

I suppose that is why Drag Racing always brings on the goosebumps- no matter whether it was me in the driver's seat, or watching the pros do it. It was so much fun either way!

Wow! What a spectator sport huh?

Yeah, those days of putting a 429 in a engine bay that had a 289 was just short of a nightmare. Lots of $$$, bloody knuckles, beer and cuss words, after strengthening the shock towers and front susp (more $$$) and having the engine built to just under 600HP, I had a straight line rocket that ran 10s. I had to be careful not to over rev it (like I did the Cobra) and with running a 4 speed, mid 10s were acceptable.

Yeah, 10s set you in your seat, I couldn't imagine what 3s would feel like, but I'd do it if I could. Lots going on during those 3 seconds.

Even with all the rules, the NHRA still draws a crowd. Maple Grove has been sold out every year since the Chinese Disease, and most years before. The closing of Englishtown brought a lot of fans into Maple Grove. Last time I was there, it was annoyingly crowded, but still my favorite weekend of the year. I think it's funny how they all crowd around when a Top Fueler fires up in the pits, then they run once the nitro starts flowing. I love it!

Yeah, those days of putting a 429 in a engine bay that had a 289
was just short of a nightmare. Lots of $$$, bloody knuckles, beer and cuss words,
after strengthening the shock towers and front susp (more $$$)
and having the engine built to just under 600HP,
I had a straight line rocket that ran 10s.
I had to be careful not to over rev it (like I did the Cobra) and with running a 4 speed, mid 10s were acceptable.

If I were going balls-in on a restomod Mustang,
I'd do a unibody to full frame conversion and not worry about shock towers.

Huge bucks there, though,
so that wouldn't be my project of choice.
You don't scrape your knuckles writing checks,
and that's the limit of what I know what to do with cars.

My Corvette was body on frame to begin with,
and even its aftermarket chassis cost significantly more than most cars at the time.
It was a bucket list type once in a lifetime project.

Spirited pleasure cruising has different priorities than drag racing, of course, and power to weight ratio
isn't more important than rigidity.

Drag racing was never my thing--the thirty to eighty-five time was real world performance
when I drove the Corvette.

No disparaging drag racing for those who enjoy it, of course.

I got the Corvette to 140+ once and managed to not have to outrun an arrest.

Even with a steep rear axle ratio,
one forty is no astounding feat with an overdrive gear,
and by the time we built the Corvette,
everybody did that;

but it was absolutely the outside limit for my ability
to stay on the asphalt and off the overpass abutments.

It's a distinct possibility that the F1 guys who can blow past 200
may be better drivers than I.

If I were going balls-in on a restomod Mustang,
I'd do a unibody to full frame conversion and not worry about shock towers.

Huge bucks there, though,
so that wouldn't be my project of choice.
You don't scrape your knuckles writing checks,
and that's the limit of what I know what to do with cars.

My Corvette was body on frame to begin with,
and even its aftermarket chassis cost significantly more than most cars at the time.
It was a bucket list type once in a lifetime project.

Spirited pleasure cruising has different priorities than drag racing, of course, and power to weight ratio
isn't more important than rigidity.

Drag racing was never my thing--the thirty to eighty-five time was real world performance
when I drove the Corvette.

No disparaging drag racing for those who enjoy it, of course.

I got the Corvette to 140+ once and managed to not have to outrun an arrest.

Even with a steep rear axle ratio,
one forty is no astounding feat with an overdrive gear,
and by the time we built the Corvette,
everybody did that;

but it was absolutely the outside limit for my ability
to stay on the asphalt and off the overpass abutments.

It's a distinct possibility that the F1 guys who can blow past 200
may be better drivers than I.

The shock towers had to be cut to make room for the heads and headers. At the time, I didn't have the money for building a restomod, that and the fact I wanted it to look stock (a sleeper, as they're called).

The Mustang wasn't a top end car, not with a close ratio Toploader and a 4:30 Detroit Locker rear. and forget trying to turn it. It was very front-heavy.

The Cobra, on the other hand, I had up to 135 and had a considerable amount left in the secondaries. Pretty scary in a go-cart with a fiberglass body and no safety features whatsoever. Being as uncomfortible as it is, it's still a blast to drive. In fact, I just got back from a nice drive and to get gas (it only cost me $40, but it still had 3/5 of a tank). A few friends want me to go up to the Mustang round-up at Carlisle and another wants to ride along if I go (he has a new Porsche GT4) and is looking for an older Ford, so I'll be going down to Hershey with him when he goes over there.

Yeah, I'm a drag racer at heart, but I like most fast cars. I haven't pushed the Cobra to it's limits because as you said, I haven't the experience to run it that hard.
The F1 guys have balls, they race in all weather conditions. I can't fathom how they can see running behind the rooster tails from the car in front of them in the
pouring rain. I guess that's why they get paid so well...

Yeah, those days of putting a 429 in a engine bay that had a 289 was just short of a nightmare. Lots of $$$, bloody knuckles, beer and cuss words, after strengthening the shock towers and front susp (more $$$) and having the engine built to just under 600HP, I had a straight line rocket that ran 10s. I had to be careful not to over rev it (like I did the Cobra) and with running a 4 speed, mid 10s were acceptable.

Yeah, 10s set you in your seat, I couldn't imagine what 3s would feel like, but I'd do it if I could. Lots going on during those 3 seconds.

Even with all the rules, the NHRA still draws a crowd. Maple Grove has been sold out every year since the Chinese Disease, and most years before. The closing of Englishtown brought a lot of fans into Maple Grove. Last time I was there, it was annoyingly crowded, but still my favorite weekend of the year. I think it's funny how they all crowd around when a Top Fueler fires up in the pits, then they run once the nitro starts flowing. I love it!

I used to watch the Englishtown Summer Nationals on TV. That was back in the Wide World Of Sports program days. Sometimes I can catch a Drag Racing event on one of the Sports channels.

My favorite races are the Top Fuel Funny Cars, but next to that are the 10 second races- where any thing over or under 10 is a loser- You have to hit it on 10 exactly. Amazing how so many drivers and cars can do it.

Back