bonkers.. Webb was asked and said no to VP slot.

Chapdog

Abreast of the situations
Shitttt

Webb says no to being VP
Posted: 06:29 AM ET

(CNN) — You can officially scratch off Sen. Jim Webb's name from the list of Barack Obama's potential running mates.

The freshmen senator from Virginia and onetime Republican said unequivocally Monday he does not want to be the Illinois senator's No. 2.

"Last week I communicated to Senator Obama and his presidential campaign my firm intention to remain in the United States Senate, where I believe I am best equipped to serve the people of Virginia and this country," Webb said in an issued statement. “Under no circumstances will I be a candidate for Vice President."

Webb, a moderate Democrat and Vietnam veteran who successfully unseated former Virginia Sen. George Allen in 2006, has often been mentioned as a potential VP choice given his likely appeal in more conservative states, his early opposition to the Iraq war, and his credibility with military issues.

The Virginia senator also co-sponsored the Senate G.I. benefits bill passed this spring that seeks to increase tuition reimbursements for veterans. Despite an initial veto threat, President Bush signed the bill into law last week.

"I entered elective politics because of my commitment to strengthen America's national security posture, to promote economic fairness, and to increase government accountability," Webb also said. "I have worked hard to deliver upon that commitment, and I am convinced that my efforts and talents toward those ends are best served in the Senate."

Webb did not endorse a Democratic candidate during the primary season. Fellow Virginians Tim Kaine, the state’s governor, and Mark Warner, a former governor who is currently running for Senate, were also considered to be on in contention for the VP slot. Warner also took himself out of the running last month.

Webb did not endorse a Democratic candidate during the primary season. Fellow Virginians Tim Kaine, the state’s governor, and Mark Warner, a former governor who is currently running for Senate, were also considered to be on in contention for the VP slot. Warner also took himself out of the running last month.

I'm not sure what to make of this or why they wouldn't want to be in his cabinent.

Chap - I thought you didn't like Webb because of the racy, homoerotic novels he wrote?

I think the VP spot has lost some of its allure over the years. It used to be a springboard for the Presidency, but the perception is changing.

Chap - I thought you didn't like Webb because of the racy, homoerotic novels he wrote?

I think the VP spot has lost some of its allure over the years. It used to be a springboard for the Presidency, but the perception is changing.

The journal had an interesting article on the VP spot yesterday. It was written by a kid who was 16 years old and a page at the 1980 Republican Convention. At the time word was out that Ford was going to be V.P. and then the second to last night of the convention they announced it was going to be Bush Sr.

I can't find the article on-line now even though I read it yesterday. It was interesting for political junkies to read because this kid was right there when it was announced Bush would be the VP and he saw the reaction of people like Jesse Helms who wanted to be VP and other conservatives who were not fans of Bush Sr.

Ultimately his point was VP choices do matter as Bush Sr. obviously became President and W ultimately followed. So as a result of the decision to go with Bush Sr. 28 years ago its effects are with us today.

The journal had an interesting article on the VP spot yesterday. It was written by a kid who was 16 years old and a page at the 1980 Republican Convention. At the time word was out that Ford was going to be V.P. and then the second to last night of the convention they announced it was going to be Bush Sr.

I can't find the article on-line now even though I read it yesterday. It was interesting for political junkies to read because this kid was right there when it was announced Bush would be the VP and he saw the reaction of people like Jesse Helms who wanted to be VP and other conservatives who were not fans of Bush Sr.

Ultimately his point was VP choices do matter as Bush Sr. obviously became President and W ultimately followed. So as a result of the decision to go with Bush Sr. 28 years ago its effects are with us today.

Well, since our other choice was Jesse Helms, all this proves is – never vote for a republican.

i never said I personally didn't like him. i said the people of VA.. for whom I have spent time with as my sister lives in that state... would fall for that ploy. I was wrong... but it was very close.

Well, since our other choice was Jesse Helms, all this proves is – never vote for a republican.

No no my quick reading friend. I said Jesse Helms WANTED the VP slot. I didn't say he was under consideration for it. The top two choices were Gerald Ford and Bush Sr., not exactly Jesse Helms type Republicans.

No no my quick reading friend. I said Jesse Helms WANTED the VP slot. I didn't say he was under consideration for it. The top two choices were Gerald Ford and Bush Sr., not exactly Jesse Helms type Republicans.

Oh. Well, to paraphrase Tallulah Bankhead, we had them both and there’s got to be something better.

I remember that convention - it's funny to think now how excited people were about the choice of Ford.

That was a depressing post though, cawacko; just that one choice gave us 8 years of a guy we never even would have heard of otherwise. I hate thinking about that.

I believe Webb put his home state and maybe even dem control of the senate before political aspirations. If he were to become the VP then VA would have a special election. You can't know who would replace Webb in the mean time and there would be no guarentee that another Dem would win that seat. You can't judge VA by the Warner race right now because Warner has been popular in VA for a long time and that is why he is so far infront in current polls. I applaud Webb for taking himself out of the running early so that the Obama campaign can concentrate on other candidates and vet them.

Shirtless man walked toward them along a mud pathway. His muscles were young and hard, but his face was devastated with wrinkles. His eyes were so red they appeared to be burned by fire. A naked boy ran happily toward him from the little plot of dirt. The man grabbed his young son in his arms, turned him upside down, and put the boys penis in his mouth.

Shirtless man walked toward them along a mud pathway. His muscles were young and hard, but his face was devastated with wrinkles. His eyes were so red they appeared to be burned by fire. A naked boy ran happily toward him from the little plot of dirt. The man grabbed his young son in his arms, turned him upside down, and put the boys penis in his mouth.
Chap have you lost your mind?

Chap, again, where does the article you posted say Obama offered the VP to Webb?

Back