Breaking the Gridlock

Krauthammer raises an interesting point, regardless of the outcome, this election will not give a governing mandate to either side.

It makes Bush a 'sitting duck' President...

I think you mean "lame duck" president, but maybe not.

In essence, isn't that what Bush is already? He lacks enough control to implement an agenda, the split of power is so evenly divided, he hasn't been able to govern in the manner he would have liked. The few things that have passed under Bush, are watered-down versions, full of pork and compromises, for the sheer purpose of political expediency.

The thing is, a Democrat House is not going to make things all perfect and rosy in Washington, and this seems to be the thinking at this point. We will still be a sharply and evenly divided nation, and while you might be perfectly okay with that, we will not stay that way forever.

at a minimum, a democratic house will start investigating the deceit employed by this administration. To suggest that they will need significant republican support to commence such investigations is evidence that you do not know how our government actually works.

Well I don't think the (D) will gain control of either house. They will definitely pick up seats though and along with the liberal Republicans (Snowe, etc.) it will be hard for anything to get passed which sounds friggin great to me.

In essence, isn't that what Bush is already? He lacks enough control to implement an agenda, the split of power is so evenly divided, he hasn't been able to govern in the manner he would have liked. The few things that have passed under Bush, are watered-down versions, full of pork and compromises, for the sheer purpose of political expediency.

The thing is, a Democrat House is not going to make things all perfect and rosy in Washington, and this seems to be the thinking at this point. We will still be a sharply and evenly divided nation, and while you might be perfectly okay with that, we will not stay that way forever.

Congress has been destroyed by the republicans the past 6 years, allowing no Democratic amendments, passing irresponsible legislation left and right, and they have forfeited our constitutional rights to this president, they have done nothing but passed legislation that the president wanted that ONLY HELPED the very wealthy become wealthier while the middle class has been held stagnant, and more middle class has fallen in to the lower class. This Republican lead congress has investigated NO ONE that has been corrupt in their party, they have passed illegal legislation in the middle of the night to benefit their contributors or the president's contributors... They have elevated the Bush presidency to KINGSHIP....

They have also accepted bribe after bribe from lobbyists like Jack Abramoff, they leadership of the house has been nothing less than corrupt...

They have spent our tax dollars foolishly...they have stolen our money for their friends to better themselves off of it.

There is NOTHING that has been good about the Republican held congress these past 6 years....they are the MOST CORRUPT congress in our history....can't wait till they get wipred out of office and off the face of the earth would be even better as far as I am concerned....because they are evil, evil's pawns....

Vote Democratic on tuesday, it is our only hope of saving our country from tyranny.

care

I have an idea Dixie. How about, when the repugs are in control of the House, we become divided and consider bipartisanship "date rape" and we have one party writing legislation late at night, in rooms the other party can't find, and then the one party gives the party on the "outs" the bills in the morning and tells them "SIGN THAT BOY" and if the BOY don't sign it, the BOY will get the old "Mr Smith IS FOR THE TERRORISTS!" treatment on the news.

And then how about when the dems hold the House, we get all mushy and repukes like you who have happily flailed that whip around for years, start getting all teary-eyed and talkin bout where is the bipartisanship? We is all Americans, we gots to work together my brothers! And then the dems will crawl aroudn on their knees just beggin the minority party to please take a look at my little ole legislation and tell me iffin you got any changes you would like me to make because I will make them poste hasty sir. And then we can all hold hands and sing Kumbaya.

Or, maybe not. Maybe you and your repuke friends can go f yourselves. You know what? Yeah, let's go with that plan.

at a minimum, a democratic house will start investigating the deceit employed by this administration.

Oh, I certainly hope they do! I hope they completely ignore the problems Americans want fixed, and obsess on trying to impeach Bush and Cheney for the next two years. In fact, I am counting on that!

actually, Dixie...the Iraq war is the single biggest issue on the minds of voters...they WANT answers... and, unlike republicans, democrats can multitask...we can have some committees investigating the misleading done in the runup to war, and we can have other committees sending legislation to the floor.

And you never did fess up to your ignorance about democrats needing significant republican support in order to start holding hearings.

why am I not surprised?

at a minimum, a democratic house will start investigating the deceit employed by this administration.

Oh, I certainly hope they do! I hope they completely ignore the problems Americans want fixed, and obsess on trying to impeach Bush and Cheney for the next two years. In fact, I am counting on that!

I think the democrats will not be following the example of the Republicans during the Clinton years.
They have things to fix now that The Republicans screwed up.

This is the point, even IF you win control of Congress, your party lacks the number of votes it would need to even bring an investigation, unless you had something undeniably obvious to bring about half of the Republicans on board. Oh, no doubt, Harry Reid and Nancy Pelosi will certainly TRY to do this, they just won't succeed, they lack the number of votes needed.

At some point in time, pinheads will have to start to realize, winning this election is not going to bring about the sweeping changes they are wetting their panties over. It isn't going to happen in the real world. A few chairmanship seats will change, the rhetoric will be louder and more shrill, but from a standpoint of action, nothing is going to really change.

You Really are ain IDIOT... If The Democrats win a MAJORITY they can issue subpoena's and start any investigation they want. It just takes a majority to start an investigation... TO impeach that would be another thing, I think you are confused!

and I have never claimed to have infinite wisdom about the military or anything else, for that matter, but I do know enough about the military to know the difference between the missions and weapons systems employed by fighter aircraft versus attack aircraft. I guess those missions could have changed since I retired, but I doubt it. I think that fighter squadrons are still employed to defensively counter an airborne threat, while attack squadrons are still employed to offensively attack enemy targets on land and at sea.... but I am sure that if anyone is more up to date on all things having to do with the military, it would be a chickenhawk film developer from an alabama trailer park who never served a minute in uniform....

actually, Dixie...the Iraq war is the single biggest issue on the minds of voters...they WANT answers... and, unlike republicans, democrats can multitask...we can have some committees investigating the misleading done in the runup to war, and we can have other committees sending legislation to the floor.

And you never did fess up to your ignorance about democrats needing significant republican support in order to start holding hearings.

why am I not surprised?

I saw a poll yesterday showing that a real high majority of Americans answered YES when asked if they wanted Halliburton Iraqi contracts investigated.

Idiots like Dixie do not understand what is coming. All he can think about is Impeachment. That would never be the first step. I don't think the dems will ever impeach...you know, unless after a few investigations that the American people want, it is shown that this admistration is so corrupt that the American people start demanding that they do it.

As for legislation, one of the first things we are going to see coming out of a Dem congress, is a raise in the minimum wage, putting Bush in the position of vetoing it. Do you know the percentages of support on that?

But bush might have no choice but to veto it because he is beholden to his corporate masters. Oh, it will be so funny. Yeah. No, good times are coming, and impeachment, gosh you know what Dix? That would be almost letting him off easy. Nah, let's send him some bills that enjoy approx 80 public support, but that he has to veto cause his corporate masters say "veto that BOY".

Let us have some fun with him Dixie. Don't be a spoilsport.

You Really are ain IDIOT... If The Democrats win a MAJORITY they can issue subpoena's and start any investigation they want. It just takes a majority to start an investigation... TO impeach that would be another thing, I think you are confused!

actually, to impeach only takes a majority as well. The House could very well impeach Dubya in 2007 for his deceit in misleading us into the bloody, costly and counterproductive war in Iraq...

although I think that just holding hearings that end up spewing Bush's skunk scent on a whole host of congressional republican presidential wannabes would be every bit as nice.

The thing is, a Democrat House is not going to make things all perfect and rosy in Washington, and this seems to be the thinking at this point.

Are you drunk? No one ever said this. At best, we need divided government to provide a check on the incompetence and horrendous judgements and decisions the Chimp is making.

Are you drunk? No one ever said this. At best, we need divided government to provide a check on the incompetence and horrendous judgements and decisions the Chimp is making.

I just keep hearing stuff like.... "After Tuesday, the long national nightmare will begin to end!" As if, a Democrat gain of a few seats, in the 6th year of a two-term presidency, is some big deal. You would think, by hearing pinheads talk, the Democrats are going to have a 70-80% control of both houses, and all of this liberal tripe you've spewed the past 6 years, is going to suddenly start being implemented. I got news for ya, it ain't going down like that. Regardless of how the elections go, we will still be fairly evenly split, and without resolve for the bitter partisan divide, will continue to have gridlock. The president will still be the president, he will not be impeached, and if Democrats want to spend their two years of temporary power, trying to bluster up enough bullshit to bring impeachment hearings, you will pay for it in '08, because people will grow sick of the shenanigans. The President still controls the policy agenda, and this will not change with Congress. The Legislative branch of government, regardless of party control, has little to do with Executive branch policy. You indicate a Democrat congress will "provide a check on the incompetence" but how do you think this will happen? Congress doesn't establish Executive policy, the President does.

Face it, the next two years are going to be much like the last two years, we might have to put up with Speaker Pelosi, and we might have to endure more of the shrill incessant rhetoric of the liberal left, and all of Congress' time, as well as millions of tax dollars, might be flushed down the toilet, trying to impeach the president, but as far as Iraq and our foreign policy, nothing is going to change.

Dixie....why won't you retract your idiotic claim that for democrats to start holding hearings into administration malfeasance, misfeasance and nonfeasance will require significant republican support?

Speaker Pelosi and the new democratic majority in the house can - and hopefully WILL - begin that process unilaterally....

kinda like the way Henry Hyde investigated Clinton.

Back