Bring Your Guns To Work Law.... Brilliant idea!

CanadianKid

Fla. lawmakers OK take-your-guns-to-work law

updated 50 minutes ago
TALLAHASSEE, Florida - Most Florida residents would be allowed to take guns to work under a measure passed by Florida lawmakers on Wednesday.

The bill, allowing workers to keep guns in their cars for self-protection, was approved by the Florida Senate by a vote of 26-13. It now goes to Republican Gov. Charlie Crist to sign into law.

Backed by the National Rifle Association and some labor unions, the so-called "take-your-guns-to-work" measure would prohibit business owners from banning guns kept locked in motor vehicles on their private property.

The measure applies to employees, customers and those invited to the business establishment as long as they have a permit to carry the weapon.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24033282/

CK

Whose brilliant idea is this one???

Ahh maybe it will reduce the number of layoffs ?
good pro labor law :clink:

who needs a union when you have a warm gun ?

I have a gun in my desk right now. I know one divorce attorney who gotten beaten with a baseball bat by a mad spouse in a divorce. THere was another criminal defense attorney in Santa Fe that got shot by his client. You come into my office with a bat you better be on your way to baseball practice and you better be real friendly the whole time. I will put you out of my office on your back with a sheet over your head.

So gun rights trump property rights? Interesting.

I think it's also interesting that more guns everywhere seems to be a common refrain among the gun nuts. What is so damned appealing about Wild West gunfight vigilante fantasies? It doesn't seem all that great to me.

I think it's also interesting that more guns everywhere seems to be a common refrain among the gun nuts. What is so damned appealing about Wild West gunfight vigilante fantasies? It doesn't seem all that great to me.

It won't to most of them either if it happens to them.

I don't own a gun, don't belong to the NRA and have only shot a gun once and that was at a range so I don't think I fit the 'gun nut' category. However I do support this law and believe us to be safer with law abiding citizens holding guns. I'm not looking for shoot-outs in the street though. In fact I hope they are never used.

I don't own a gun, don't belong to the NRA and have only shot a gun once and that was at a range so I don't think I fit the 'gun nut' category. However I do support this law and believe us to be safer with law abiding citizens holding guns. I'm not looking for shoot-outs in the street though. In fact I hope they are never used.

The handier a gun is the more likely it will be misused. That is a fact of human nature.

1. So gun rights trump property rights? Interesting.

I think it's also interesting that more guns everywhere seems to be a common refrain among the gun nuts. 2. What is so damned appealing about Wild West gunfight vigilante fantasies? It doesn't seem all that great to me.

1. Where did ANYONE say this? If a business owner objects to a gun on their property then it stays off. No one said this and it is an empty argument.

2. Where is there wild west gunfight vigilante fantasies. You gun fraidy cats continually ignore that guns are used AT LEAST 800,000 times per year to defend the person that owns the gun. Something you just brush over every time you get on the "guns are bad mmkay" argument. There are almost one gun for every man woman and child in this country. Yet more children drown a year than die at the barrel of a gun. Cars kill more people per year than guns and there are less cars. Bad eatting habits kill more people a year than guns, oh but that's right gun fraidy cats also tend to be the people that pass anti fat laws like the one in NYC. With all the guns in the US, if your "sky is falling" mentality had ANY MERIT at all gun deaths in the US should at least be in the hundreds of thousands.

In my opinion the property owner, in this case the businesses, should be able to make their own decisions about whether or not to allow firearms at work.

Having said that, I can easily see the argument of the other side; people who want their right to bear arms protected from corporations as well the government.

I know of no law abiding gun owner who has "Wild West gunfight vigilante fantasies."

1. Where did ANYONE say this? If a business owner objects to a gun on their property then it stays off. No one said this and it is an empty argument

from the article:
the so-called "take-your-guns-to-work" measure would prohibit business owners from banning guns kept locked in motor vehicles on their private property.

The handier a gun is the more likely it will be misused. That is a fact of human nature.
This is BULLSHIT and you cannot prove that in a single state witch concealed carry that gun incidents have gone up NOT ONE. Matter of fact I challenge you to do so. Florida has a concealed carry law as well as New Mexico. Go find me stats that show that the more readily available the gun is the more it is in your words "Misused". You can't do it. You should check your internal editor and make sure he stops you from typing things you can't prove.

I think that the idea of people being able to carry concealed weapons anywhere, is a dumb one. If someone with no record, and no order of protection filed against them, wants one for home protection, I really don’t have a problem with it. But I do have a problem with them being in the work place, that’s a stupid idea.

In a case such as the one Soc mentions…where I work we get a lot of threats too. One of the directors is just off the NYPD, 20 years, retired as a Lieutenant. I don’t have a problem with him carrying one into our office. But in general, no.

1. Where did ANYONE say this? If a business owner objects to a gun on their property then it stays off. No one said this and it is an empty argument

from the article:
the so-called "take-your-guns-to-work" measure would prohibit business owners from banning guns kept locked in motor vehicles on their private property.
Not the same thing. It is not like they are wearing it to work. You gun fraidy cats grasp at straws all the time.

I think that the idea of people being able to carry concealed weapons anywhere, is a dumb one. If someone with no record, and no order of protection filed against them, wants one for home protection, I really don’t have a problem with it. But I do have a problem with them being in the work place, that’s a stupid idea.

In a case such as the one Soc mentions…where I work we get a lot of threats too. One of the directors is just off the NYPD, 20 years, retired as a Lieutenant. I don’t have a problem with him carrying one into our office. But in general, no.

I'm torn. There are good faith arguments on both sides.

Prove no, believe yes.
if you go drinking and someone cuts you off you are not as likely to shoot them if you don't have a gun. Or if you have a fight with your GF/wife, etc. If no gun present not likely to get shot huh ?

It is my belief and I am sticking to it.

Besides as evidenced by your above post you did not even read the article.

1. Where did ANYONE say this? If a business owner objects to a gun on their property then it stays off. No one said this and it is an empty argument.

2. Where is there wild west gunfight vigilante fantasies. You gun fraidy cats continually ignore that guns are used AT LEAST 800,000 times per year to defend the person that owns the gun. Something you just brush over every time you get on the "guns are bad mmkay" argument. There are almost one gun for every man woman and child in this country. Yet more children drown a year than die at the barrel of a gun. Cars kill more people per year than guns and there are less cars. Bad eatting habits kill more people a year than guns, oh but that's right gun fraidy cats also tend to be the people that pass anti fat laws like the one in NYC. With all the guns in the US, if your "sky is falling" mentality had ANY MERIT at all gun deaths in the US should at least be in the hundreds of thousands.

1) From the OP:

Backed by the National Rifle Association and some labor unions, the so-called "take-your-guns-to-work" measure would prohibit business owners from banning guns kept locked in motor vehicles on their private property.

I take that to mean that property owners cannot prohibit people from bringing guns onto their property that are kept in a locked car. No? Reading the article it seems my interpretation is what the business owners that opposed the bill believe it does.

2) It's my perception. That's all. I just don't understand how more guns is the solution to gun violence.

Finally, I found this tidbit from the article interesting:

Dozens of workplace shootings occur every year in the United States, and studies have shown that job sites where guns are permitted are more likely to suffer workplace homicides than those where guns are prohibited.

I'm not drawing any conclusions from it though unless I see the types of workplaces where guns are permitted.

Back