Can a modern day "liberal" also be a "patriot"?

MAGA MAN

Let's go Brandon!
I think not.

A modern day liberal, or progressive, seeks to creatively interpret the Constitution. In truth they ignore it, usurp it, despise it. A patriot, on the other hand, is someone who reveres the Constitution, understands its original intent and meaning, and seeks to apply it to solving modern problems.

The meaning of liberalism has changed throughout US history. During the revolutionary period a liberal was someone who was against the monarchy and fought for a republican form of government. They recognized that government was a necessary evil, and that in order to minimize the evil they also had to limit the powers of the government. So they created a federal system with very limited powers and left the rest to the states, or to the people.

In the modern era, a liberal is someone who sees the Constitution as outdated. They want the federal government to have broad, unrestricted power. This power approaches that of a monarchy, of which the patriot, both then and now, fights against.

well... this modern day liberal, patriot and retired career serviceman disagrees. I took an oath to defend the constitution - and your life - and did so for a long long time. You had other priorities, as I recall. I certainly don't see the constitution as "outdated". It has grown and evolved as our country has evolved. What was once deemed constitutional under a ruling like Plessy v. Ferguson was later ruled unconstitutional by Brown v. Board of Education. That's how it works. If you want to go back to 1789, invent a fucking time machine. Barring that, deal with it.

I think there are examples of liberals being patriots. The idea that all liberals seek to "creatively interpret" the constitution is laughable.

Many who are labeled "liberal" are fiscally conservative and socially liberal.

The definition of "patriot" according to Merriam Webster is:

"pa·tri·ot noun \ˈpā-trē-ət, -ˌät, chiefly British ˈpa-trē-ət\

: a person who loves and strongly supports or fights for his or her country

Full Definition of PATRIOT

: one who loves his or her country and supports its authority and interests "

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/patriot

see how much they actually value the military service of Americans.

If you in the "wrong" party your military service means nothing to them.

you are the fucking traitor for thinking that asshole

Your also a fucking traitor for backing your party CHEATING in elections.

you know nothing about patriotism

The answer I gave in another thread was of George McGovern during WWII. He flew 35 Combat missions, IIRC, and watched as people he flew with were killed by anti aircraft fire during some of his flights.

And yet he got back on the plane to make another run....

I would say that the real patriots are the people who worked for civil rights for African Americans in the 50's and sixties. YMMV.

well... this modern day liberal, patriot and retired career serviceman disagrees. I took an oath to defend the constitution - and your life - and did so for a long long time. You had other priorities, as I recall. I certainly don't see the constitution as "outdated". It has grown and evolved as our country has evolved. What was once deemed constitutional under a ruling like Plessy v. Ferguson was later ruled unconstitutional by Brown v. Board of Education. That's how it works. If you want to go back to 1789, invent a fucking time machine. Barring that, deal with it.

So the Supreme Court trumps the Constitution? Where is that written in the Constitution?

;1424376 said:
The definition of "patriot" according to Merriam Webster is:

"pa·tri·ot noun \ˈpā-trē-ət, -ˌät, chiefly British ˈpa-trē-ət\

: a person who loves and strongly supports or fights for his or her country

Full Definition of PATRIOT

: one who loves his or her country and supports its authority and interests "

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/patriot

And the ultimate authority, or rule of law, is the Constitution, is it not?

And the ultimate authority, or rule of law, is the Constitution, is it not?

Indeed it is. And those who sought to change the Constitution to give women the vote and outlaw slavery were certainly patriots. So seeking a change in the Constitution is not, in and of itself, evil or unpatriotic.

Indeed it is. And those who sought to change the Constitution to give women the vote and outlaw slavery were certainly patriots. So seeking a change in the Constitution is not, in and of itself, evil or unpatriotic.

I agree, as long as the change is made within the confines of the Constitution: the amendment process.

Just because you took an oath to protect and defend the Constitution doesn’t prove a fucking thing relative to evidence that you even knew what the Constitution was, or a single thing in it.

Politicians take that oath for their respective offices yet there’s hundreds of identifiable incidences whereby they sure as hell violated that oath.

The fact that you became a career military service person doesn’t necessarily prove either that you served for patriotic principles. Your service while commendable if satisfactory could have simply been because you feared private market place competition for employment or a lack of desire to learn a trade.

The only practical and honest growth and evolution in our Constitution is the 27 amendments to it. Court decisions are no proof of constitutionality, they only prove that a gang of political partisans, appointed by a political partisan and confirmed by other political partisans have either legalized unconstitutional or constitutional laws or events.

I’d be interested in your ”evolved” interpretation of amendment 10 to our Constitution. Amendment 13 would also be interesting. According to your leftist post, you haven’t a fucking clue about any actual, honest and truthful constitutional interpretation.

and if you don't LIKE the fact that the Supreme Court interprets the constitution, pray tell, what are you prepared to DO about it?

the idiots have been convinced by their masters that only they know what the constitution means.

really fucking stupid voting base for the republicans.

It the only way they can cheat like they do.

stupid voters who will back cheating

I think not.

A modern day liberal, or progressive, seeks to creatively interpret the Constitution. In truth they ignore it, usurp it, despise it. A patriot, on the other hand, is someone who reveres the Constitution, understands its original intent and meaning, and seeks to apply it to solving modern problems.

The meaning of liberalism has changed throughout US history. During the revolutionary period a liberal was someone who was against the monarchy and fought for a republican form of government. They recognized that government was a necessary evil, and that in order to minimize the evil they also had to limit the powers of the government. So they created a federal system with very limited powers and left the rest to the states, or to the people.

In the modern era, a liberal is someone who sees the Constitution as outdated. They want the federal government to have broad, unrestricted power. This power approaches that of a monarchy, of which the patriot, both then and now, fights against.

I'm not sure I like the term "patriot" as it refers to the Constitution. A "patriot" can lead to blind devotion to a particular ideology originating from the State.

I do believe that Liberals, like Obama, find the limitations on power contained in the Constitution as an inconvenience for furthering their failed ideology. But then, as is typical with unthinking Liberal hypocrites, embrace them when THEIR guys are not in charge.

Remember, you are dealing with low information fools who have been brainwashed into thinking that only the State can know what is good and fair for everyone; but only if THEIR deciders are in charge. They also foolishly believe that they can prove how much they care by electing dishonest politicians who claim they care more than anyone else on the planet while doing nothing other than turning them into wards of the State.

But remember that this is more about personal emotions when it comes to Liberals rather than results. You cannot judge Liberals by their historic failures, but by how much they care. If you remember this, and the fact that they are dishonest intollerant fools, you will understand how one must deal with them; by pointing at them and laughing.

So right now Liberals are devoted patriots to Obamunism and can't underestimate their rapture for our military. But never forget; when Bush was in charge, it was patriotic to defy him and our military were nothing but a bunch of bumbling fools who could not win a war and tortured innocent Muslims.

There you go again erupting with this "I served and protected you" argument which you stupidly think is a crutch for the incredible ignorance that erupts from your keyboard.

Yes dunce, you definately are a patriot. You will blindly follow your President and Country; but only when your guy is in charge. :wink wink:

Back