Can Hillary cry her way back to the White House?

Onceler

I love Maureen Dowd's columns. She nails a couple of things in this one. First, that Hillary's teary moment was presented in a somewhat narcissistic way, which most seemed to miss: as she puts it, "What was moving her so deeply was her recognition that the country was failing to grasp how much it needs her."

Second, that the Clintons have taken a position against hope and idealism:
"Her argument against Obama now boils down to an argument against idealism, which is probably the lowest and most unlikely point to which any Clinton could sink. The people from Hope are arguing against hope."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/09/opinion/08dowd.html?pagewanted=2&_r=2&ref=opinion

I've gotten kind of down on Maureen Dodd, ever since she made the size of Obama's ears, an issue for serious disscussion. :)

Maureen Dowd is a catty bitch and encapsulates everything that is wrong with modern journalism. I can't fucking stand her and the world would be a whole lot better off if she wrote Page Six pieces for the NY Post since that appears to be where her drivel belongs.

I love Maureen Dowd's columns. She nails a couple of things in this one. First, that Hillary's teary moment was presented in a somewhat narcissistic way, which most seemed to miss: as she puts it, "What was moving her so deeply was her recognition that the country was failing to grasp how much it needs her."

Second, that the Clintons have taken a position against hope and idealism:
"Her argument against Obama now boils down to an argument against idealism, which is probably the lowest and most unlikely point to which any Clinton could sink. The people from Hope are arguing against hope."

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/09/opinion/08dowd.html?pagewanted=2&_r=2&ref=opinion

yeah, I read that article this morning.... I also like reading her articles.

"Another reporter joked: “That crying really seemed genuine. I’ll bet she spent hours thinking about it beforehand.” He added dryly: “Crying doesn’t usually work in campaigns. Only in relationships.”

LMAO... He may have been joking but I think there is some truth to it.

Maureen Dowd is a catty bitch and encapsulates everything that is wrong with modern journalism. I can't fucking stand her and the world would be a whole lot better off if she wrote Page Six pieces for the NY Post since that appears to be where her drivel belongs.

Wow, I could not agree more. I published something myself today, though certainly not in the NY Times, stating pretty much that, but not in quite that way.

Maureen Dowd is a sly anti-feminist wasting one of the few powerful perches women have in print media. I can’t stand her.

I have a real split with Onceler here.

I’m still voting for Edwards, but if Hillary wins the nomination what has been going on here and all over the media, has convinced me I am going to vote for, not go third party as I was planning on.

I am somewhat stunned. This was not about crying and anyone who thinks it was, is misreading this big time.

George bush has fucking cried in public over the years.

shes demonstrated thru her actions in the past the very cold and calculated manor in how she operates. How is it a reach to think that wasn't planned.

Here’s a funny story about what a coward MODO is to top it off. She spent years slamming Bill Clinton, and to get at him, Monica Lewinsky. Well, in her own pathetic book filled with drivel, she says herself that she ran into Monica Lewinsky in a NYC club one night. Lewinsky narrowed her eyes at Dowd and demanded to know why she was saying the terrible things she was saying about her in her columns. You know, fat girl and all of that, real feminist shit. And Dowd was so nervous she dropped her eyes and mumbled “I dunno”.

Maureen Dowd, put in her place by a 23 year old intern.

"This was not about crying and anyone who thinks it was, is misreading this big time."

Between Monday & yesterday, a huge # of undecideds broke for Hillary. They didn't shift because Bill called Obama a "fairy tale," which was the only other story coming out at that time.

I definitely think that, without that moment, Obama wins yesterday. Striking out against the media was also a part of it, but without that moment, it isn't galvanized the way it was.

Also, I don't think it is bad that she cried, and have no problem with tears in general, whether they are from Bush or Hillary.

Wow, I could not agree more. I published something myself today, though certainly not in the NY Times, stating pretty much that, but not in quite that way.

Maureen Dowd is a sly anti-feminist wasting one of the few powerful perches women have in print media. I can’t stand her.

I have a real split with Onceler here.

I’m still voting for Edwards, but if Hillary wins the nomination what has been going on here and all over the media, has convinced me I am going to vote for, not go third party as I was planning on.

I am somewhat stunned. This was not about crying and anyone who thinks it was, is misreading this big time.

George bush has fucking cried in public over the years.

SEE..... I told you that you would vote the Dem ticket no matter what. :)

The crying was more of an issue about WHY she was crying. Tearing up because of a tragedy/loss of life is one thing. Crying because you are losing an election is another all together. Though apparently it worked wonders among the gullible.

"This was not about crying and anyone who thinks it was, is misreading this big time."

Between Monday & yesterday, a huge # of undecideds broke for Hillary. They didn't shift because Bill called Obama a "fairy tale," which was the only other story coming out at that time.

I definitely think that, without that moment, Obama wins yesterday. Striking out against the media was also a part of it, but without that moment, it isn't galvanized the way it was.

Also, I don't think it is bad that she cried, and have no problem with tears in general, whether they are from Bush or Hillary.

And I think they broke for her because they were pissed off by the beating she was taking from sexist fools.

I don’t believe the tearing up (she did not cry) was calculated, I thought she was exhausted. I don’t know about you but when I’m exhausted I’m emotional. Gee, so Hillary Clinton is human after all.

Lorax your a moron, just because somebody's listed as undecided doens't mean they weren't leaning Clinton or Leaning Obama. To attached the vote to your simpleton reasoning is insulting to the people of NH. Your a funny little whinney bitch who's afraid of powerfull woman. So keep it up, I'm laughing my ass off.

SEE..... I told you that you would vote the Dem ticket no matter what. :)

The crying was more of an issue about WHY she was crying. Tearing up because of a tragedy/loss of life is one thing. Crying because you are losing an election is another all together. Though apparently it worked wonders among the gullible.

Well someone has to balance out people like you SF. Unless…you don’t actually think that the JPP board is on the edge of its collective seat wondering if you’re going to go Dem, do you?
:)

Well someone has to balance out people like you SF. Unless…you don’t actually think that the JPP board is on the edge of its collective seat wondering if you’re going to go Dem, do you?
:)

ha ha! So true.

Lorax your a moron, just because somebody's listed as undecided doens't mean they weren't leaning Clinton or Leaning Obama. To attached the vote to your simpleton reasoning is insulting to the people of NH. Your a funny little whinney bitch who's afraid of powerfull woman. So keep it up, I'm laughing my ass off.

Hillary Girl!

ur baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!

I think a lot of femenist woman will wake up and see she needs them. After all who's going to address woman's problems better than Hillary. Please spare me the moronic they shouldn't vote for her just cause she's a woman.
she'll do better with woman and Obama will do better with blacks. He certainly can address racism better than anyone else.

And I think they broke for her because they were pissed off by the beating she was taking from sexist fools.

I don’t believe the tearing up (she did not cry) was calculated, I thought she was exhausted. I don’t know about you but when I’m exhausted I’m emotional. Gee, so Hillary Clinton is human after all.

I don't think it was calculated, either. It was a genuine moment, and I think that did connect with a lot of people.

Lorax,

This is anecdotal, and I'm not crowing that it "proves me right"....

but, I was listening to progressive talk radio today. And something happened I've never seen before. Tons of women were calling in defending hillary. Saying that they were pissed off that the media (and even some progressive activists) hold Hillary to a different standard than they hold Joe Biden or Barack Obama. And they were pissed about the focus on hillary's "emotions" or the clothes she wears. And they were explicit in pointing out (like I did), that hillary's senate voting record is nearly the same as Obama's (and other democrats) on Iraq, Veteran's affairs, and a multitude of other issues.

Edwards fucked up too. He made fun of her crying. Bad move. When hillary got of a campaign bus, there were edwards supporters there, and she went over to shake hands with them. They refused to shake her hand.

Bad move.

Back