Canadian vs. American healthcare Analysis

The Canadian System has made private health care illegal. It is 100% less business friendly. The French system is far more likely to be acceptable to Americans.

I think the Canadian system is better than the current mess we have, but it's not the most desirable. Clearly the long waits and beaurocracy are something we want to avoid. People shouldn't have to wait an hour to get health cards so that they can get their eyes screened.

Actually their Supreme Court was working on this ruling in 2005 and the rest of Canada feared it would interfere with their system.

Here is a nice article on the illegality of private health care in Canada.

http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full...STINDEX=0&volume=164&issue=6&journalcode=cmaj

And another:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/28/international/americas/28canada.html

This one speaks of how it is illegal but they are doing it anyway. Rogue enterprise accepting direct payment for surgery they could get for free in the public hospitals, which is against the law.

Why would you BAN private healthcare? It just doesn't make sense.

I think the Canadian system is better than the current mess we have, but it's not the most desirable. Clearly the long waits and beaurocracy are something we want to avoid. People shouldn't have to wait an hour to get health cards so that they can get their eyes screened.
Which is why I stated we should look into more of them, fix the issues we can foresee as others are going through them, then implement what we come up with.

Why would you BAN private healthcare? It just doesn't make sense.
Because it would "kill the system" to have the elite just paying for quick care elsewhere. Anything that is covered free is illegal to just go and purchase elsewhere. Of course it is now with a nod and a wink as they send them there because they just can't get it done quick enough. Read that second link.

Maybe I should have been clearer. I was not able to see a doctor at the walk in clinic becuase my health card had expired in November (I swear, I had no idea!!). I waited 1 hour at the hospital emergency room to see a doctor, not to get a health card - I have one already, I need to renew it. My expired health card is acceptable at the hospital for a number of reasons a. I had a real emergency (I had some other problems causing the flare up) b. I had been to the hospital in the last year, using the same card. Anyway, in my opinion, 1 hour wait time at the hospital emergency is pretty good. And, as I said before, due to the rapid course the eye condition I have can take, I'm surprised I had to wait so long. If I had a splinter, I'd probably be waiting a lot longer - 3-4 hours given that it's not an emergency. What's the average wait time at a US hospital, under normal conditions?

Candian health care is far from perfect, however, a lot of the problems are regional. What is good here is terrible in another city. Regional disparities are a huge issue, along with rapid population fluxuations.

Just as an aside, I should also mention that the little receptionist at the clinic probably would have made an exception if I 1. had been to that clinic prior to my health card expiring and 2. Had I not been so rude.

Actually their Supreme Court was working on this ruling in 2005 and the rest of Canada feared it would interfere with their system.

Here is a nice article on the illegality of private health care in Canada.

They didn't come to that conclusion at the end.

I have private insurance and I've paid cash for sevices not covered under my provincial plan.

And another:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/28/international/americas/28canada.html

This one speaks of how it is illegal but they are doing it anyway. Rogue enterprise accepting direct payment for surgery they could get for free in the public hospitals, which is against the law.

I would have to double check BC legislation on opt-out doctors, but he probably opted-in. So yes, as sad as it is, what the doctor mentioned at the beginning of the article is doing would be illegal.

Said1 how come your health card expired?

OHIP in Ontario never expires....

CK

This is a fairly new proceedure - your photo is on it now and everything. You have to renew it every few years; fraud prevention meausres.What happened in my case is that I moved and forgot to give Health Canada new address. When they mailed my renewal reminder, it went to my old address. It has the expirey date printed on the bottom of the card, but who looks at that when they're not using the card?

This is a fairly new proceedure - your photo is on it now and everything. You have to renew it every few years; fraud prevention meausres.What happened in my case is that I moved and forgot to give Health Canada new address. When they mailed my renewal reminder, it went to my old address. It has the expirey date printed on the bottom of the card, but who looks at that when they're not using the card?

Actually its not a fairly new procedure as you call it...

I've had the same OHIP card for at least 20 years.

Said1 stop talking out of your ass. Thanks.

CK

Actually its not a fairly new procedure as you call it...

I've had the same OHIP card for at least 20 years.

Said1 stop talking out of your ass. Thanks.

CK

You have an old red and white one. When was the last time you used it in Ontario?

They didn't come to that conclusion at the end.

I have private insurance and I've paid cash for sevices not covered under my provincial plan.

I would have to double check BC legislation on opt-out doctors, but he probably opted-in. So yes, as sad as it is, what the doctor mentioned at the beginning of the article is doing would be illegal.
Yes, stuff not covered is not illegal to pay for. Such as plastic surgery for cosmetic purposes.

Yes, stuff not covered is not illegal to pay for. Such as plastic surgery for cosmetic purposes.

I paid for speech language pathology services covered under OHIP, for my daughter. For the life of me, I can't remember why. I even called my mother, who arranged everything and she can't remember, either. :o

I paid for speech language pathology services covered under OHIP, for my daughter. For the life of me, I can't remember why. I even called my mother, who arranged everything and she can't remember, either. :o
I won't tell!

I won't tell!

I owe you one! How about I arrange for CC to lend you his health card? Since he has no photo on it, you could come up here for free stitches and a matching arm sling! Nothing's too good for you, Damo! Pick up some perscription drugs while you're here, on the house!

I owe you one! How about I arrange for CC to lend you his health card? Since he has no photo on it, you could come up here for free stitches and a matching arm sling! Nothing's too good for you, Damo! Pick up some perscription drugs while you're here, on the house!
First I gotta cut myself. I'm on my way!

Back