Car shopping

MAGA MAN

Let's go Brandon!
After nearly 7 years and over 175k miles its time for a change to my daily driver. Currently a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6. It still looks great, runs great, I just want something a little more nimble and sportier, but still with the high end luxury. I still can't do a sedan because I routinely haul bulky stuff. I need 4WD.

My don't want list includes:
  • No Asian vehicles. I just think they are chic cars.
  • No FWD platforms. Too difficult to service.

My wants:
  • Luxury interior comparable or better than the Jeep.
  • Quiet highway ride.
  • Power/ weight ratio at least 7HP/100#
  • Decent gas mileage.

On my list:
  • Porsche Maccan S (too much money)
  • Mini Clubman JCW (price is right, p/w lower that I'd like)
  • MB GLC 43
  • Jag F-Pace S
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (too much money, gas guzzler)

I's rather be riding my Harley or driving my Chevy Pickup up truck, but sometimes I just drive my Infiniti for it's sporty and fun luxurious ride!

After nearly 7 years and over 175k miles its time for a change to my daily driver. Currently a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V6. It still looks great, runs great, I just want something a little more nimble and sportier, but still with the high end luxury. I still can't do a sedan because I routinely haul bulky stuff. I need 4WD.

My don't want list includes:
  • No Asian vehicles. I just think they are chic cars.
  • No FWD platforms. Too difficult to service.

My wants:
  • Luxury interior comparable or better than the Jeep.
  • Quiet highway ride.
  • Power/ weight ratio at least 7HP/100#
  • Decent gas mileage.

On my list:
  • Porsche Maccan S (too much money)
  • Mini Clubman JCW (price is right, p/w lower that I'd like)
  • MB GLC 43
  • Jag F-Pace S
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT (too much money, gas guzzler)

Hyundai Santa Fe

Built in the US
100,000 mile drivetrain guarantee
Smooth ride, nice creature comforts
Respectable gas mileage

I bought one last year (best guarantee, built in Alabama) and I like it.
Ford Edge was nice too, but a bit over my price range. I didn't want
the payment since I was retiring this year and a friend gave me a great
deal on the Hyundai. I looked at the Porsche when one of my friends had
his GT3 RS down for servicing, nice but expensive, the Hyundai is almost
comparable. JMHO.

I used to be a Ford guy, but all their stuff is fwd unless you're go to the expedition. Had one before the Jeep. Gas guzzler. I want smaller, nimble.

Hyundai is a chic car.

You want a Lincoln MKX.

Drove a Jag F-Pace with a supercharged V6. Too big, don't like the throttle response. Nice vehicle otherwise.

'18 Audi A5 Sportback. The "trunk" is adequate for my needs, especially with the rear seats folded down. A little tight getting into the drivers seat. Good throttle response with the 2.0t engine. I like it better than the Jag because it is more nimble.

'19 Audi A7. Gorgeous car. 3.0t, fantastic throttle response and huge reserve power. Super quiet cabin and plush ride without being squishy. Sportback concept gives is a huge cargo capacity. The salesgal and I found ourselves talking to each other in hushed tones, like we were visiting a library. A bit over my budget, but it's definitely at the top of my list right now. 25mpg highway is fantastic.

Drove a Jag F-Pace with a supercharged V6. Too big, don't like the throttle response. Nice vehicle otherwise.

'18 Audi A5 Sportback. The "trunk" is adequate for my needs, especially with the rear seats folded down. A little tight getting into the drivers seat. Good throttle response with the 2.0t engine. I like it better than the Jag because it is more nimble.

'19 Audi A7. Gorgeous car. 3.0t, fantastic throttle response and huge reserve power. Super quiet cabin and plush ride without being squishy. Sportback concept gives is a huge cargo capacity. The salesgal and I found ourselves talking to each other in hushed tones, like we were visiting a library. A bit over my budget, but it's definitely at the top of my list right now. 25mpg highway is fantastic.

I thought you weren't looking for a sedan?

I thought you weren't looking for a sedan?

I wasn't. But the sportback concept has tremendous cargo space and access. I could probably go for a Mustang coupe if it they made an AWD version.

My wife flipped when she saw the price of the A7. I know that she would love it, but only after not speaking to me for a week or two. And even then she may make me sell one of my classics to justify the purchase.

I'm rethinking this a bit. I've added the Challenger GT to my list. Car and Driver has an excellent review on cargo capacity and access: https://www.caranddriver.com/review...pace-and-storage-review-car-and-driver-page-7

The Challenger won't have the luxury interior, and it's only available in the 305HP V6, but the other positives might make up for that. With the money I would save I could have the seats, console and door cards reupholstered in the nicest leather imaginable and still end up cheaper than most of the other choices.

I wasn't. But the sportback concept has tremendous cargo space and access. I could probably go for a Mustang coupe if it they made an AWD version.

My wife flipped when she saw the price of the A7. I know that she would love it, but only after not speaking to me for a week or two. And even then she may make me sell one of my classics to justify the purchase.

I'm rethinking this a bit. I've added the Challenger GT to my list. Car and Driver has an excellent review on cargo capacity and access: https://www.caranddriver.com/review...pace-and-storage-review-car-and-driver-page-7

The Challenger won't have the luxury interior, and it's only available in the 305HP V6, but the other positives might make up for that. With the money I would save I could have the seats, console and door cards reupholstered in the nicest leather imaginable and still end up cheaper than most of the other choices.

That sportback was a great idea. Hell, I like Audis and if you can get cargo capacity in a sedan go for it.

Back